BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 221 - 230 of 605 | Page: 1 ...14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ...61

Forum » Thread

Re: Golite Bitterroot Hood
"Most UL Alpine belay parkas have non-adjustable hoods because it's a feature climbers want. The Bitterroot's voluminous hood is not only meant to fit over a helmet, but to also act as...

In Gear Deals » Golite Bitterroot 850 Fill Down Jacket $149.99
November 15, 5:16pm

Re: Golite....Flawed design
Yeah, it's possible that it will fit certain folks. My assessment was made based on trying on a Men's Small in my local GoLite store. I may go back and see if I wear a couple of caps if t...

November 15, 3:25pm

Re: Golite....Flawed design
Sadly the Bitterroot has a completely flawed hood. It is designed to fit over a helmet but then doesn't offer any ability to dial in the fit when not wearing a helment. The consequence is tha...

November 15, 1:30pm

Re: still
Corey, I am very interested but can't afford it at the moment. If you are unable to sell it I will probably be able to buy it next month.

In Gear Swap » For Sale- Katabatic Sawatch quilt
November 14, 10:35am

Re: Re: Worn out cuben
I think the abrasion from a raft would be far more likely to fail than abrasion from a ground sheet. More importantly, failure of a raft is much more significant consequence than failure of a sect...

In Make Your Own Gear » I would like to make a cuben packraft
November 11, 12:49pm

Re: Arcteryx Alpha SL Jacket - XL - 50% off
Sometimes it sucks being a Men's Small or Medium. There are rarely closeout specials for premium stuff in those sizes.

In Gear Deals » Arcteryx Alpha SL Jacket - XL - 50% off
November 06, 11:02am

If you normally sweat a lot....
then I would recommend merino wool as a base layer. It is one of the best at retaining heat even when wet.

In GEAR » what am i doing wrong (AKA I am cold and wet :(
November 05, 3:14pm

Re: what am i doing wrong (AKA I am cold and wet :(
Definitely not enough breakfast in my opinion. I normally have about a 400-500 calorie breakfast at least an hour before I start. I am out in Colorado in the winter frequently at high altitudes...

In GEAR » what am i doing wrong (AKA I am cold and wet :(
November 05, 9:25am

Re: Re: BPLrs with blogs
Gossamer Gear has a nice list of their trail ambassador blog sites along the right side of this page http://gossamergear.com/wp/

In On the Web » BPLrs with blogs
November 04, 5:30pm

Re: Any guess as to where we'll wind up?
In direct response to your original question Ken, I will remain here at BPL. There is frankly nothing like it out there. Nothing nearly as collectively deep with knowledge and interaction that th...

In Chaff » Any guess as to where we'll wind up?
October 28, 6:35pm

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm