BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 221 - 230 of 5643 | Page: 1 ...14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ...565

Forum » Thread

Re: RE: Beware of Owl Attacks (and carnivorous rabbits)
Ah, yes, Lepus californicatus tularemius. A most dangerous beastie, indeed. Do not attempt to feed or pet. Active at night, and the only known effective barrier is an inner tent made of chicken ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Safety of sleeping on the ground with no critter protection
December 26, 4:57pm

Re: Re: Backpack for BearVault 200 - JMT
"and thoughts about food storage space on the lower portion of the JMT are still appreciated." Here's the National Parks Service list, Tom. http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit...

In GEAR » Backpack for BearVault 200 - JMT
December 23, 8:00pm

Re: A list of HIGHLY entertaining movies
"No, i don't want movies on this list that's "Interesting" or "Important work" or "Artistic" or...you get it... i want high octane ENTERTAINMENT! Friday n...

In Chaff » A list of HIGHLY entertaining movies
December 20, 4:59pm

Re: Being woodsy - in style now?
"I don't know if I should be laughing or crying. http://howtospendit.ft.com/mens-fashion/40623-forest-hunk" If The Marlboro Man had been born in Appalachia....

In Chaff » Being woodsy - in style now?
December 20, 4:53pm

Re: RE: Extra time?
"Rock ON, Dru! Wish I had the talent..." +1

In Philosophy & Technique » UL positive feedback system
December 20, 3:42pm

Re: "Re: Dog saliva"
"What am I supposed to do with the other 22 hours in the day???" The question answers itself.

December 19, 4:22pm

Re: Re: Re: Dog Saliva
"Don't forget than as we get older, we don't have to slow down if we don't want to." Up to a point, which neither you nor I have reached yet, at least not so's it gets ...

December 18, 8:02pm

Re: Dog Saliva
"** More miles? This seems to be an UL mantra and part of the fast and light mindset. Seven mile days are perfectly acceptable. What's the rush? ** "Fewer days between resupplies&q...

December 18, 6:06pm

Re: Sleeping bag liner
"Patagonia R1" Since you've already got a base layer, a down jacket, and you're backpacking in dry climates, you might consider dropping the R1(Hoody, I presume) and replacing ...

In GEAR » Base Layers
December 16, 5:03pm

Re: Didn't like Suunto, now use Casio
"the Altimeter is accurate within 200 ft" Hopefully this is a typo?

In GEAR » Let's see a picture of your WATCH thread.
December 16, 4:31pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm