BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 221 - 230 of 5285 | Page: 1 ...14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ...529

Forum » Thread

Re: What the heck is a Jetboil?
Grasshopper, If you don't know what it is, then you don't need one.

In GEAR » What the heck is a Jetboil?
December 18, 2:21am

Re: short sleeve
Most of the year I hike in a Rail Riders Eco-Speed T and Patagonia Baggies. A Houdini or Poncho covers the bad weather. This year through spring, summer, and fall I did trips in the Sierras, Illino...

In GEAR » When to carry/wear a Short Sleeve shirt?
December 18, 1:51am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lite Trail Solid Fuel System
I upgraded mine from V1 too. The new pot with lid is 70 grams on my bilingual scale. I am still going back and forth between my Caldera GVP and the LiteTrail system. I have been mostly taking th...

In GEAR » Lite Trail Solid Fuel System
December 18, 1:32am

Re: Re: Re: Drift
I feel sorry for the OP, in a sense, but perhaps the drift will open some exploration -- I hope so. Mark, I have 8 of these left. At one time they were easy to find. Haven't seen them in dec...

In Gear Swap » WTB: Ray Jardine's "Trail Life" book
December 18, 12:47am

Re: Early UL
Tube tents were around long before them. If you have ever used one, I hope you came to the same conclusion as me -- they were horrible.

December 17, 4:33pm

Re: Re: Re: Ray Jardin
"Oh Nick! If only you'd written a book way back then! Think of all the sore feet and aching backs that would have prevented!" Ah... Well, no book is really needed. It comes with...

December 17, 2:14pm

Re: Re: Tritium
I use the same compass. Question is whose light will go out first - the compass or me.

In GEAR » Let's see a picture of your WATCH thread.
December 17, 1:11am

Tritium
Ian, you know that Tritium has a half life of 12.3 years, don't you?

December 17, 12:04am

Re: Re: sieko
That Seiko is a nice looking watch. Am I correct in assuming that isn't the original band?

December 16, 10:06pm

Re: Backpacking trip ideas - Palm Springs, CA area December.
JT is great for stargazing and photography. There are few trails. Cross country hiking is most common. The northern part of JT is higher in elevation and bitter cold and snow is not uncommon in ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Backpacking trip ideas - Palm Springs, CA area December.
December 16, 7:24pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am