BPL Community Profile

Mark Larson (mlarson) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southeast USA
About Me Lifelong student and nerd in general, currently working on the web. I have a bias for higher mileage and longer days on the trail. Most of my hikes are on the border of SUL & UL; I still weigh everything, but pretty much stopped using spreadsheets. I read all the time, blog less, and run a good bit.
CityAtlanta
StateGA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.mlarson.org

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mark Larson

Showing 221 - 230 of 338 | Page: 1 ...14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: BPL print #3 reviews?
Got mine here in Georgia on 1-23. I'm pretty pleased with this issue, probably my favorite of the 3. It's thicker than the other two, and better color print quality. Highlights for me would be the ...

In Chaff » BPL Fall 2005 Print Issue
January 25, 6:08pm

Re: Re: Granite Gear pack alterations...
You may want to consider sewing the new drawstring tunnel before you cut the collar shorter. That is, fold the collar down inside itself until you have the new collar height that you want. Maybe ro...

In GEAR » Granite Gear pack alterations...
January 25, 5:57pm

Re: let it fly
I agree with those rules above. 1] Non-sale price only. 2] Cheap is the main goal, but weight is the tie-breaker. 3] 3-season suitable. I'll keep a guideline for myself to limit DIY gear to item...

In Gear Lists » Cheapest UL Gear List Challenge
January 20, 9:42pm

Re: Re: Re: conflict of interest: Manufacturing V reviewing
Yes, you can construe a lot if you care to do so. Cynical speculation is easy. I don't think your concerns are prima facie invalid or uncalled for--it's important to have our BS-detectors on for w...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » conflict of interest: Manufacturing V review
January 19, 7:40pm

Re: Not a question of ounces, but of space
I agree with the other suggestions here. -Switching to a down bag could help if you haven't already. -Consider trimming the sleeping pad. Chopping the Ridgerest from 47" to 36" will save you ab...

In GEAR » Not a question of ounces, but of space
January 17, 8:58am

Re: Re: tarp tips
Good tips from the others. Another thing to think about is guyline management. It can be a pain at the beginning to have all these strings hanging around and getting in the way. I'd recommend takin...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » tarp tips
January 13, 8:32pm

Re: Bugs and tarping
My lightest arsenal is an OR headnet w/o ring + a windshirt + gloves/ windpants if I have them on that trip. Even though I don't take it on my trips very much, I do like the Equinox Mantis, which i...

In GEAR » Bugs and tarping
January 12, 5:52pm

Re: Can I use these spreadsheets
I'm really glad for the spreadsheets, too. Lots of great ideas there. Jeff, if they're useful, of course you should use them. The corresponding rule is that if you come up with good modifications, ...

In Gear Lists » 2005 Backpacking Light Trip Planning Spreadsheet Contest Entries
January 12, 5:43pm

Re: Calling Squeaky?
Hi Bob- Squeaky says he's back in England. I sent you an e-mail and sent Squeaky a PM through WhiteBlaze.net, where he is a member. That should help you corral him for an interview. -Mark

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Podcast feedback appreciated
January 10, 7:54am

Re: habotai silk?
You wouldn't really need to source the silk for this particular application, but a silk scarf in place of a bandana or buff can add a touch of class. Maybe a bit foppish, but you can usually get th...

In Make Your Own Gear » Materials Sourcing
January 08, 5:36pm

All Reader Reviews by Mark Larson

Showing 1 - 10 of 18 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

GoLite Virga
Used this one on the AT this summer. My particular model has 1 large pocket on the right-hand side. I accidentally purchased a Small @ 8.1oz, but it ended up working out just fine for size [5'11, ...

In Clothing - Raingear
July 18, 8:18am

Montrail Masai
I like the Masai quite a bit. They don't wear as well as many other shoes. The toe rubber and seams started to flake out around the 300-mile mark, but surprisingly the fabric itself showed very li...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
June 01, 10:26am

Gossamer Gear Miniposa
I've put about 1000 miles on this pack, and so far it has easily displaced my GoLite Jam as my go-to pack. And I really love my Jam. I had the new Miniposa mailed to me in the middle of a long ...

In Backpacks - Frameless
May 14, 9:29am

Inov8 Flyroc 310
The Flyrocs are quite good. The deep-lugged soles make for excellent grip. I like that the heel isn't significantly raised, so you the shoes feel nice and close to the ground. The open mesh lets some ...

July 02, 9:07am

Evernew Nonstick Titanium 0.9 L Pot
This pot has great dimensions. Wide base, but not too shallow. Also wide enough to fit a trimmed spoon inside with my entire kitchen, and still close completely. I like the volume for meals on long-te...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 16, 11:19am

Gatorade Bottle
I'll put a plug in the for the Gatorade Endurance bottles in particular. They are a little more narrow and taller than the standard squatty bottles, so they fit more easily in side pockets. 1L/34oz ca...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
November 04, 3:05am

Salomon Tech Amhibian
This shoe is almost brilliant. I love the mesh, and the thin tongue is very comfortable. The footbed is probably the most supportive and comfortable I've ever used--no sore spots or aches. My bones an...

November 04, 3:00am

U.S. Department of Defense MRE Spoon
Meals-ready-to-eat come with great spoons, and some food, too. I'm not sure who the manufacturer is or where to find them commercially. The spoons have a generous length, long to reach the bottom o...

In Cookware - Other
November 04, 2:49am

Montane Featherlite
A great, great windshirt, and I've been really surprised by its inclement weather performance. I've been on brief runs [20-40 minutes] in the rain with the Featherlite. While it eventually wets out an...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
November 04, 2:40am

Equinox Silnylon Poncho
This is a review of the non-extended version, which I've really grown to like. Just a bit over 7oz, about 7.75 feet long, and a bargain at $40-50. I have had no problems with durability; snags on tree...

In Clothing - Raingear
November 04, 2:29am