Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John Whynot (jdw01776) - BPL Guest

My Locale Southeast Texas
About Me Hiking and backpacking (on and off) since 1976, mainly in the northeastern United States.
CityHouston
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Whynot

Showing 221 - 230 of 557 | Page: 1 ...14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ...56

Forum » Thread

Re: esbit site
>>they (Esbit) are doing themselves a disservice- they list that stove at 20 oz on the site you have listed :) I think it's 20 oz capacity for the pot...

In GEAR » My new Esbit cook stove kit
February 09, 8:45pm

Re: Two day trail for winter hike between Boston and Albany?
I'd recommend an overnight on the AT in western Massachusetts. Very close to Albany, variety of terrain, and great views.

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Two day trail for winter hike between Boston and Albany?
February 09, 7:39pm

Re: Vehicle Total Loss advice
Jeff: My wife and I have been through this twice in the last 4 years (both times the other drivers fault). The insurance company uses software to do just what you are doing -- survey the market ...

In Chaff » Vehicle Total Loss advice
February 08, 2:37pm

Re: Re: Bear Vault
Below is the reply I receieved from the NY DEC to my question "Are only specific brands of bear resistant canisters approved for use in the high-peaks region, or are any commercially available...

In GEAR » Bear Vault in the Dacks???
February 08, 10:40am

Re: Bear Vault
I sent an e-mail to the NY DEC asking about "approved" bear canisters in the eastern high peaks region -- there is nothing on their website that mentions specific brands. I will post the ...

February 07, 5:54am

Re: Snowshoeing The Western Uplands Trail
I enjoyed the trip report and especially the video. Real winter backpacking is something I miss...

In Post-Trip Reports » Snowshoeing The Western Uplands Trail
February 06, 2:06pm

Re: Bear Vault in the Dacks???
If you read the NY DEC regulations, no specific brands are approved -- the regulations state: 6 NYCRR Paragraph 190.13(b)(2) defines a bear-resistant canister as "a commercially made contai...

February 06, 12:02pm

Re: Trailrunners: Waterproof or Not?
I prefer not waterproof. Non-waterproof trail runners seem to dry more quickly when they get wet. I do have a pair of Gore-tex socks for cold and wet conditions...

In GEAR » Trailrunners: Waterproof or Not?
January 30, 3:53pm

Re: Hiking Through Hyperbole: The Vortex of Fear
A very enjoyable and informative article...

In Editor's Roundtable » Hiking Through Hyperbole: The Vortex of Fear
January 25, 6:46pm

Re: Thanks again
A bit late commenting on this thread -- but what about renting a warmer bag from REI or EMS. Renting would be a way to find out what you really need for bag warmth, without making a big investment....

In GEAR » Need Help with my Winter Sleep Setup for NorthEast Overnighters/ Trying to build a 0 degree setup using camp clothes and a 3-season quilt
January 08, 7:10am

All Reader Reviews by John Whynot

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

StickPic camera mount
A clever, well-engineered, and lightweight (0.35 ounces by my scale) gadget for mounting a camera on the tip of a trekking pole. Should work with any compact camera with a tripod socket. Works ver...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
June 16, 10:55am

BPL Thorofare Trekking Pants
I purchased these as a replacement for my overbuilt Montbell Stretch Windpants. The fabric of the Trekking pants is a microgrid ripstop nylon, with a slightly textured inner surface. Size medium...

In Clothing - Raingear
December 07, 8:31pm