Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Hoot Filsinger (filsinger) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest
About Me Started backpacking in 1968 with my first and only Kelty Pack. Have enjoyed many adventures in Los Padres, Sierra Nevada, Cascades, and coastal hiking in the Pacific Northwest.Colin Fletcher was my mentor in my youth and I now enjoy the kind and knowledgeable folks at BPL.
CityCrescent City
StateCA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Hoot Filsinger

Showing 221 - 230 of 287 | Page: 1 ...10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Forum » Thread

Thinking about ordering another to make a sleeping hoodie
The nylon seems durable but the down fill is not very puffy. Perfect to keep in the back of the truck or shop. I think you could sew a nice hoodie from an xl. Bill

In Gear Deals » Lands End 600fill Down Vest $13.00 !!!
April 25, 7:36pm

This option may work for you
Sea to Summit single net- 7.2 ounces with stuff sack. Like new condtion $25 shipped. See info,stats: http://www.rei.com/product/798576/sea-to-summit-mosquito-pyramid-insect-shield-net-single ...

In Gear Swap » WTB-bug bivy
April 24, 10:18am

Firelite Ti esbit wing combined with Supercat stove
I was trying to build a stable stand for my Supercat stove when I discovered it fits perfectly in the BPL Firelite Ti Wing stove. The Supercat is held in place by the esbit wing base and the in...

In GEAR » Firelite Ti esbit wing combined with Supercat stove
April 20, 10:13pm

Re: Coloring Ti Stakes
I used my daughter's ruby red fingernail polish. I used two coats and it really sticks well. I also tie short loops of bright red braided line on the end.

In Gear Deals » $1.50 Ti stakes at myDIYgear.com
April 20, 8:41pm

Contrail First Pitch Feedback
Eric, Your pitch is fine. I like the bathtub floor sides as high as possible. You may want to treat the floor with silicone blobs to help with slip n slide (http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Silnyl...

In GEAR » Contrail First Pitch Feedback - Franco?
April 17, 6:47pm

Firelight 550 Titanium Pot
Gabe, I have a new, never used backcountry.com titanium cookset - 700ml pot/spork/foam net bag and a homemade pot cozy. Will sell for $32 shipped. This is slightly bigger than you wanted but I ...

In Gear Swap » WTB: BPL Firelight 550 Titanium Pot
April 17, 3:42pm

Another option to Hexamid
Nate, I own a custom made Cub Den from from Bearpaw Wilderness Designs. John will customize it to your specs and goes out of his way to please. Quality work and fair prices-ships in 5-7days. See...

In Gear Swap » WTB Hexamid Twin Tent
April 17, 3:03pm

easy to taper yourself
I bought the 1/8 inch stakes and found it easy to adjust the taper on a bench or disc sander with 150 grit. I prefer a longer taper but keep the tip blunt and rounded. Bill

In Gear Deals » $1.50 Ti stakes at myDIYgear.com
April 13, 9:23pm

FS - Baladeo 22g knife
SOLD New in box - Baladeo 22 gram knife. $25 shipped CONUS. http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/baladeo_22g_knife.html Bill

In Gear Swap » FS - Baladeo 22g knife
April 12, 6:18pm

A simple alternative
This is what I used in the 60's and 70's -- Very versatile.

In Make Your Own Gear » My DIY tarp: lighter, warmer, much cheaper than silnylon :)
April 10, 10:22am

All Reader Reviews by Hoot Filsinger

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Bearpaw Wilderness Designs company
John at Bearpaw was terrific to work with. He listened to my needs and designed a cuben fiber structure similar to the cub den but with slight mods to fit my big boy size. He backs his warranty, send...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
March 27, 12:23am

Saywer Squeeze Filtration System
SP131- Sawyer Squeeze Filter – multiple capacity The NEW Sawyer Squeeze Filter is the lightest and most versatile filtration system on the market. With a total field weight of 3 ounces, it is extr...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 03, 7:58pm

Tarptent Contrail
I used the Contrail in the Cascades and was impressed with the design and weight. The bug net paid for itself the first two nights. I stayed dry in light rain and moderate wind and had very little con...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
March 11, 11:48pm