BPL Community Profile

John Myers (dallas) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale North Texas
About Me John Myers has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Myers

Showing 221 - 230 of 253 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Forum » Thread

floorless tent
Pete, The Philmont requirement is for a fully enclosed tent. This is at least partly due to the attempt to prevent the hantavirus carried by rodent droppings. I believe the "Guide to Adventur...

In Philmont » LIghtweight Philmont Experince
August 04, 3:24pm

lightning - on the ground or hanging?
I have followed this thread with interest, since there has been similar discussion among hammock campers. Is it safer to be on the ground or in a hammock? Since in it's basic form, lightning...

In GEAR » Does Carbon fiber hiking pole conduct electricity?
July 30, 8:23am

quilt as jacket
Chris, For the conditions you describe, I think the JRB quilt as jacket for evenings/mornings would work very well. I also hammock camp and use the JRB quilts as you are planning to do. In those t...

In GEAR » Layers layers layers
July 29, 9:07am

cross timbers
That's a nice little trail. We hiked it a couple of times for our Philmont training hikes. It was 'only' 97 degrees when we hiked it, but the heat sure did take it's toll on us.

In Post-Trip Reports » Texas Trail in the Heat!!!
July 22, 3:35pm

Trek 23
Scott, We were on trek 23 also. It was fantastic. Hope you have a great time. Please give us a full report when you get back. John

July 18, 4:15pm

qilt/bag
Since you asked for votes, here's mine. I have come to prefer a quilt to a bag in most conditions. I think it's because I move my legs around a lot when I sleep so I feel somewhat claustrop...

In GEAR » Debunking the Myth: Quilts AREN’T as Comfortable as a Sleeping Bag
July 05, 9:25am

coffee
John, They had a supply of some kind of instant at the advisors meeting the first night we were in base camp that some of the guys took advantage of and all the staffed camps have advisors coffee ...

In Philmont » Cooking Systems
July 05, 8:59am

Hammock
Phil, Do try it. I sleep SO much better in my hammock than on the ground. I'm not sure of the geological condition that caused the ground to get harder over the last 30 years, but it sure...

In Make Your Own Gear » Reinventing... the chair
July 02, 2:08pm

Pack Weight
No, that weight was without food or water. Our maximum food supply was 4 days x 3 meals per day x 6 packages per meal (each package supplies 2 meals) = 72 packages. We had 11 in our crew so each to...

June 26, 3:19pm

Re: Frisbee
Scott, They strongly discourage using the sump frisbee to play with. Seems they don't want any extra bits of leftover food to be distributed around the campsite.

In Philmont » Backpacking Light @ Philmont
June 25, 1:18pm

All Reader Reviews by John Myers

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Zpacks Exo with external stays
I recently returned from a 10 day trek at Philmont Scout Ranch and took a ZPack Exo external frame pack. My base weight was 10 pounds but I wanted a pack that could handle the extra weight and volu...

In Backpacks - External Frame
June 26, 1:55pm