BPL Community Profile

Luke Schmidt (Cameron) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale The WOODS
About Me Pursuing Christ, relationships, and adventure in that order. Nicknamed "Chief" because I grew up with a tribe of vegetarian cannibals on a small island off the coast of Iowa.
CityMidland TX
StateTexas
CountryUnited States
My Website URLhttp://westtexasmountainman.wordpress.com/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Luke Schmidt

Showing 221 - 230 of 2083 | Page: 1 ...14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ...209

Forum » Thread

Ideas
I haven't done the JMT but here are my general thoughts on gear. 1. Hiking shirt - I'd suggest a button up synthetic shirt with a tight weave in the fabric. This will help keep bugs of...

In Gear Lists » 2014 June 1st JMT Gear List.... Need Some Help
January 13, 8:22pm

To Small for me
I'd be all over this if I had a medium torso. Unfortunately I'm too big for this little beauty.

In Gear Swap » FS: Custom "Klettersack" inspired rucksack w/ removable ULA Circuit hipbelt
January 12, 5:47pm

Weight Savings and Comfort
The weight difference between a well designed UL pack and a frameless pack of the same size really isn't that great. For example the HMG Windrunner is 28 oz. A frameless pack of similar size ...

In GEAR » What Dan McHale has to say about UL backpacks
January 12, 5:46pm

Old Blacksmiths
I believe the Arabs used scimitars made of Damascus at one point. Netflics had an interesting documentary on a Viking sword. Apparently they found a way to carbonize steel which improved its ...

In GEAR » Interesting Knife
January 03, 5:55pm

Yurts?
I know some people have used Yurts as cabins to get around excessive building codes (they are "temporary" structures). If you found a nice piece of property maybe putting a yurt on it wo...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Buy a cabin near Kings Canyon/ Sequoia west entrances?
January 03, 3:07pm

Backup Plan
Well if you're flying here's another idea. Fly into Jackson Hole and rent a car. From there spend some time in Yellowstone. Car camp and spend a couple day's watching animals in the La...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Help me get ready for a summer trip to Glacier NP
January 02, 12:08pm

On the way
Ian I don't know beans about Glacier but have you considered stopping in Yellowstone on the way up? The geysers and hot springs were okay but not something I'd make a special trip to see. ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Help me get ready for a summer trip to Glacier NP
January 02, 11:18am

Me Too
I'm be happy to chime in if we can schedule a call or Skype.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Ultralight Backpacking Thesis help
January 02, 6:46am

March Hikes
March really isn't hiking season in CO. Maybe the Gila Wilderness? I have not done that area in the spring but I imagine timing would be key. There could be snow up high and high water in th...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Spring break hiking extravaganza
December 31, 8:41pm

Mountain Bikes and Wilderness
I once met two mountain bikers a couple miles into the Pecos Wilderness. I asked them if they knew they could get a ticket for being there (I was bluffing I assume the FS would ticket them). They...

In Editor's Roundtable » 2013 Staff Picks
December 31, 8:13am

All Reader Reviews by Luke Schmidt

Luke Schmidt has posted no reviews.