Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

David Chenault (DaveC) - BPL Staff

My Locale Crown of the Continent
About Me Social worker. Endurance mountain bike racer, ultra-hiker, packrafter, BC skier, un-serious climber and canyoneer.

I have given up on PMs. Please contact me through my website.
CityThe Fish
StateMontana
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://bedrockandparadox.com
My PDF Gear ListWinter '13

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Chenault

Showing 2171 - 2180 of 3125 | Page: 1 ...209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 ...313

Forum » Thread

DAS warmth
I think this issue points to the value of making Richard's work on CLO more common knowledge. Lab grade warmth ratings give people a baseline to decide how "average" warmth ratings g...

In GEAR » Logic error in DAS review?
January 18, 7:43pm

GNP in August
You've gotten good advice thus far. The trails on your route are all well trodden, the only reason to not bring Mt101s is that they aren't so good in mud (which you could have on the Moko-...

In GEAR » Clothing for Glacier National Park (August)
January 18, 9:28am

setting up deadmen
If it's real cold, pouring water and/or peeing on the anchor will set it up in a hurry. Seriously. Using big deadmen helps too (a ski or branch buried sidways).

In Winter Hiking » Problem with deadmen
January 17, 9:26pm

where I backpack
After growing up in Ohio and going backpacking in state parks, I've made life choices to put myself in places with more interesting options. Thus, I live 45 minutes from Glacier NP, and a bit ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Where do you backpack?
January 10, 11:43am

Omni gloves
They dry quick, the best reason to go with fleece. My oldest pair is about 17 months old and starting to get holes in the fingertips. That's after a ton of use. Acceptable durability IMO.

In GEAR » Gloves, liners, gauntlets, mitts, muffs, etc. What are you wearing and when?
January 08, 5:21pm

May in MT
I can't wait! I'm going back for more: http://vimeo.com/11957531

In Post-Trip Reports » Trip Suggestions for May 2011
January 07, 6:58pm

gloves and mitts
OR Omni gloves alone 90% of the time. If especially windy, wet or cold, I add OR Endeavor mitts. It really cold (like -5 or lower), I wear the Omnis, some 200 weight fleece mitts, and the End...

In GEAR » Gloves, liners, gauntlets, mitts, muffs, etc. What are you wearing and when?
January 07, 6:53pm

EB FTW!
Folks, let us read the original request. Baldy and San G are not big gnar mountains. The Mountaineers Route in May is not a big technical route. Of course, you can certainly kill yourself on e...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Beginner advice - Socal mtns in winter and Whitney
January 07, 1:36pm

canyon pack
Tom's Imlay Packs are nice, but too much cash for a pack that will get beat up (IMO). The Petzl packs have a great, burly, waterproof material, but carry like garbage. Ballistics nylon ha...

In GEAR » Pack suggestions
January 06, 12:55pm

re: ski package
Theron, I think that package is a good place to start. I'd get the 3 pin option, as that boot/binding are more durable/reliable (NNN toe bars pull out) and will give a bit more control. You...

In Winter Hiking » BC touring ski setup for the Sierras...
January 05, 11:16pm

All Reader Reviews by David Chenault

Showing 1 - 10 of 25 | Page: 1 2 3

Review

Category

STARBUCKS VIA Italian Roast
Tastes good enough, tiny and easy to use. What could be better? It not being so darn expen$ive.

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
July 27, 2:17pm

Lara Bars Cherry Pie
Tasty, moist, tasty, good calorie to weight ratio, compact, resists deformation, doesn't freeze too bad in the cold, tasty, made of real food, and tasty! Bar-shaped food does not get any bett...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
July 27, 2:16pm

Patagonia Capilene 1 T-Shirt
Cap 1 seems to have changed very little since it was called silkweight capilene back in the day. It dries very quickly, wicks pretty well (though not as well as cap 2), and most importantly feels lig...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
July 27, 2:12pm

Therm-A-Rest Ridgerest
I use a cut-down 48" Ridgerest on every trip. Bombproof, comfy, light, cheap. In winter, I add a full length under it. I actually sleep better on this than most inflatables, but realize I&...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
April 11, 10:47am

MLD Trailstar
In summary: Aside from a bivy sack for good weather and race pace endeavors, I've sold off the rest of my shelters. It's a great cross of a pyramid and a tarp. Finished weight, seam sealed...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
April 11, 10:39am

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
It's hard to get more warmth for the weight (or price). I like having a few pieces to add in as supplementary feet and/or torso pieces. It is quite fragile. Do not leave this on the outside o...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
March 28, 3:18pm

FireLite Trapper's Mug
A very well designed cup. Light, but seems just as functionaly durable as Snowpeak or Evernew stuff. Ideal size for a soloist. The taller than it is wide shape is one I prefer for cooking on a fire...

In Cookware - Titanium
March 28, 3:03pm

Patagonia Houdini Wind Jacket
Note 1: This is a review of my 2005/6 Houdini. It's longevity is revealing (it may have been the Dragonfly back then, even). Note 2: If the price is outrageous, no one would buy it! The prote...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 29, 8:08pm

Patagonia Ready Mix Softshell Pants
I disagree with all Kev's objections, and desperately wish I could find more mediums to buy. The simplicity is what I love best. Actually, the perfect in all conditions from 70-10 F fabric is ...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 29, 8:00pm

patagonia down sweater
Note: I'm folding this review of the Down hooded pullover into this section because 1) the hooded p/o isn't made anymore, 2) the critical comments likely apply broadly. I really liked the d...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
January 27, 10:07am