BPL Community Profile

David Chenault (DaveC) - BPL Staff

My Locale Crown of the Continent
About Me Social worker. Endurance mountain bike racer, ultra-hiker, packrafter, BC skier, un-serious climber and canyoneer.

I have given up on PMs. Please contact me through my website.
CityThe Fish
StateMontana
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://bedrockandparadox.com
My PDF Gear ListWinter '13

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Chenault

Showing 2171 - 2180 of 2948 | Page: 1 ...209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 ...295

Forum » Thread

dehydration and hyponatremia
While it is indeed possible to kill yourself by drinking too much, data suggests that most of the time the fluid volume is not the culprit, but rather a lack of electrolyte consumption.* The af...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Internal Frame Packs: a State of the Market Report - Part 1C: Main Bag & Comfort
September 19, 11:01am

re: what gives
First, I think it's cool that BPL is at times internally contradictory. (It's obvious Roger didn't design the Absaroka pack, for instance.) The outdoors are a big tent, and as silly a...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Internal Frame Packs: a State of the Market Report - Part 1C: Main Bag & Comfort
September 17, 4:34pm

sleeping socks
I use the thicker socks I can find for sleeping socks. Not only are they warm, but they do a good job of moving moisture away from your feet, thus preempting foot issues.

In GEAR » Getting rid of long sleeping socks?
September 17, 8:40am

North rim campground
Craig, you know the NR campground is about 3 miles (each way) from the N Kaibab TH, yes? You can either try to hitch, walk the road, or walk the horse trail. Alternately, you could sneak into...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Grand Canyon sub 36 hours
September 16, 3:14pm

FFinger BEEF
I agree with Dale. Adding ankle support to Fivefingers seems to suggest that they're the wrong tool, especially. Thinlight is the least durable foam I've seen. It would get shredded in...

In Make Your Own Gear » "Beefing Up" a FiveFingers for Off Trail Expeditions.
September 16, 3:07pm

double crossing gearlist
Looks solid. A few suggestions: The trails are very, very sandy and dusty. I'd highly recommend dirty girl gaitors or the like. 3 liters is a good option to have. It could be very hot ...

In Gear Lists » Grand Canyon Gearlist
September 15, 8:53pm

cold feet
Paul, get yourself some neoprene socks.

In Fishing » New to fishing, need some help
September 15, 6:35pm

insulation types
To go back to the original question, I think that having different insulations for different season, trips, regions, and activities is appropriate, even necessary. I still prefer shaggy pile for...

In GEAR » Importance of diverisfying insulation types
September 15, 6:26pm

capilene transitions
R 1/2 (circa 2005-7ish) became the Capilene 4 of 2008-2010 with seemingly little change. Both had a smooth outer face and waffled interior weave. An R1 mini, essentially. I just got the new ca...

In GEAR » R.5 = Capilene 4 = Capilene 3
September 15, 6:08pm

pack details
Roger, you certainly must be commended for tackling such an unruly subject, and without any attempt to artificially constrain or circumscribe it. Bravo! I do think the comments thus far point t...

September 15, 5:59pm

All Reader Reviews by David Chenault

Showing 1 - 10 of 25 | Page: 1 2 3

Review

Category

STARBUCKS VIA Italian Roast
Tastes good enough, tiny and easy to use. What could be better? It not being so darn expen$ive.

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
July 27, 2:17pm

Lara Bars Cherry Pie
Tasty, moist, tasty, good calorie to weight ratio, compact, resists deformation, doesn't freeze too bad in the cold, tasty, made of real food, and tasty! Bar-shaped food does not get any bett...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
July 27, 2:16pm

Patagonia Capilene 1 T-Shirt
Cap 1 seems to have changed very little since it was called silkweight capilene back in the day. It dries very quickly, wicks pretty well (though not as well as cap 2), and most importantly feels lig...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
July 27, 2:12pm

Therm-A-Rest Ridgerest
I use a cut-down 48" Ridgerest on every trip. Bombproof, comfy, light, cheap. In winter, I add a full length under it. I actually sleep better on this than most inflatables, but realize I&...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
April 11, 10:47am

MLD Trailstar
In summary: Aside from a bivy sack for good weather and race pace endeavors, I've sold off the rest of my shelters. It's a great cross of a pyramid and a tarp. Finished weight, seam sealed...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
April 11, 10:39am

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
It's hard to get more warmth for the weight (or price). I like having a few pieces to add in as supplementary feet and/or torso pieces. It is quite fragile. Do not leave this on the outside o...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
March 28, 3:18pm

FireLite Trapper's Mug
A very well designed cup. Light, but seems just as functionaly durable as Snowpeak or Evernew stuff. Ideal size for a soloist. The taller than it is wide shape is one I prefer for cooking on a fire...

In Cookware - Titanium
March 28, 3:03pm

Patagonia Houdini Wind Jacket
Note 1: This is a review of my 2005/6 Houdini. It's longevity is revealing (it may have been the Dragonfly back then, even). Note 2: If the price is outrageous, no one would buy it! The prote...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 29, 8:08pm

Patagonia Ready Mix Softshell Pants
I disagree with all Kev's objections, and desperately wish I could find more mediums to buy. The simplicity is what I love best. Actually, the perfect in all conditions from 70-10 F fabric is ...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 29, 8:00pm

patagonia down sweater
Note: I'm folding this review of the Down hooded pullover into this section because 1) the hooded p/o isn't made anymore, 2) the critical comments likely apply broadly. I really liked the d...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
January 27, 10:07am