BPL Community Profile

David Chenault (DaveC) - BPL Staff

My Locale Crown of the Continent
About Me Social worker. Endurance mountain bike racer, ultra-hiker, packrafter, BC skier, un-serious climber and canyoneer.

I have given up on PMs. Please contact me through my website.
CityThe Fish
StateMontana
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://bedrockandparadox.com
My PDF Gear ListWinter '13

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Chenault

Showing 2171 - 2180 of 2783 | Page: 1 ...209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 ...279

Forum » Thread

FS Dana Designs Arcflex Alpine
I realize there's little interest for this pack here, but I'd rather sell to the chance BPLer than on Ebay (which is next). One 1997 Dana Designs load monster. The Arcflex was the full ...

In Gear Swap » FS Dana Designs Arcflex Alpine
July 05, 10:38am

re: packrafting and packs
Luke, I think that bulk is more of a concern than weight. My yak doesn't weigh all that much, but takes up a ton of space. About as much as my 20 degree bag and 2 person shelter, if not more....

In GEAR » Can a packrafter get away with a UL pack??
July 05, 10:32am

all snark aside
Re, women's packs: I imagine that differences in design are far more relevant with heavy internal frames and the resulting big hipbelts, backpads, etc. Sewing nuances can only provide so much ...

In GEAR » First Look: Osprey Hornet 46
July 05, 9:28am

hot sleeping
For summer trips in the Grand Canyon I would bring a tarp, pad, and a synthetic sleeping bag liner, adding a wool hat and light puffy if it got chilly. This worked well for lows in the 60s.

In GEAR » Hot Summer Sleep System
June 23, 8:44am

re: King range
Craig, knowing that you like big climbs, I'd highly recommend a detour up into the King Range, including a summit of King's Peak. It's steep, but not inordinately so, and the view you ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Lost Coast
June 22, 10:57am

re: advice
Thanks Steve, just what I was looking for.

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Soliciting advice on Isle Royale
June 21, 6:36pm

Soliciting advice on Isle Royale
I'm headed up to the magic island next week with my sister and parents in tow. I'm looking for advice, both general and with regards to a few points in particular. -Details on the Minon...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Soliciting advice on Isle Royale
June 21, 4:02pm

shelter
Thunderstorms are almost certain in both places in early August. I'd bring the mid as it would give you the option to choose less protected sites if you want (to get good views). Bryce is h...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Road Trip. Colorado/Utah
June 21, 3:52pm

snow
A week ago the last mile of the trail from The Loop up to Granite Park chalet was solidly snowed in. Walkable without snowshoes, but there was a good 8' or more in the dense trees.

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Looking for a 1 night glacier trail
June 21, 3:49pm

packrafting
I finally received my Yukon Yak last week. It is awesome. Huge potential for cool trips here in Montana. Other places in the country have less profuse opportunities, but the Alpacka raft really ...

In Packrafting » Packrafting Light?
June 21, 3:46pm

All Reader Reviews by David Chenault

Showing 1 - 10 of 25 | Page: 1 2 3

Review

Category

STARBUCKS VIA Italian Roast
Tastes good enough, tiny and easy to use. What could be better? It not being so darn expen$ive.

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
July 27, 2:17pm

Lara Bars Cherry Pie
Tasty, moist, tasty, good calorie to weight ratio, compact, resists deformation, doesn't freeze too bad in the cold, tasty, made of real food, and tasty! Bar-shaped food does not get any bett...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
July 27, 2:16pm

Patagonia Capilene 1 T-Shirt
Cap 1 seems to have changed very little since it was called silkweight capilene back in the day. It dries very quickly, wicks pretty well (though not as well as cap 2), and most importantly feels lig...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
July 27, 2:12pm

Therm-A-Rest Ridgerest
I use a cut-down 48" Ridgerest on every trip. Bombproof, comfy, light, cheap. In winter, I add a full length under it. I actually sleep better on this than most inflatables, but realize I&...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
April 11, 10:47am

MLD Trailstar
In summary: Aside from a bivy sack for good weather and race pace endeavors, I've sold off the rest of my shelters. It's a great cross of a pyramid and a tarp. Finished weight, seam sealed...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
April 11, 10:39am

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
It's hard to get more warmth for the weight (or price). I like having a few pieces to add in as supplementary feet and/or torso pieces. It is quite fragile. Do not leave this on the outside o...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
March 28, 3:18pm

FireLite Trapper's Mug
A very well designed cup. Light, but seems just as functionaly durable as Snowpeak or Evernew stuff. Ideal size for a soloist. The taller than it is wide shape is one I prefer for cooking on a fire...

In Cookware - Titanium
March 28, 3:03pm

Patagonia Houdini Wind Jacket
Note 1: This is a review of my 2005/6 Houdini. It's longevity is revealing (it may have been the Dragonfly back then, even). Note 2: If the price is outrageous, no one would buy it! The prote...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 29, 8:08pm

Patagonia Ready Mix Softshell Pants
I disagree with all Kev's objections, and desperately wish I could find more mediums to buy. The simplicity is what I love best. Actually, the perfect in all conditions from 70-10 F fabric is ...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 29, 8:00pm

patagonia down sweater
Note: I'm folding this review of the Down hooded pullover into this section because 1) the hooded p/o isn't made anymore, 2) the critical comments likely apply broadly. I really liked the d...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
January 27, 10:07am