Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

David Chenault (DaveC) - BPL Staff

My Locale Crown of the Continent
About Me Social worker. Backcountry traveler and writer in my spare time.

I have given up on PMs due to their tendency to encourage poorly considered inquiries. Please contact me through my website. I enjoy pack construction and trip planning questions in particular.
CityThe Fish
StateMontana
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://bedrockandparadox.com
My PDF Gear ListWinter '14/15

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Chenault

Showing 2171 - 2180 of 3583 | Page: 1 ...209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 ...359

Forum » Thread

malpais
The fabric is very nice. As the OP says, less techy than most in this category. I've heard a few negative reports on durability, but had no issues during my testing. It's currently heade...

In GEAR » Golite Malpais 7 oz shell
September 22, 7:00pm

Versalite
With Super Hydro Breeze Montbell wins, hands down, the stupidest rebranding of PU award. The coating looks the same as that on the Essence, which looks the same as that on the Triumph Anorak, etc,...

In GEAR » eVent jacket
September 22, 11:41am

Awesome photos. That Gerry tent looks like a tarptent!

In Editor's Roundtable » Mistaken for Strangers
September 22, 8:28am

failure
I'll just add that we've had some serious failures since testing began, and in unexpected places.

In GEAR » Rain jackets less than 8 oz
September 21, 11:26am

stoves!
Epic nerdiness. Love it. And extremely useful. Any reason a Jetboil couldn't be mated with a Brunton stove stand for remote, inverted canister use? I need a good snow melter and am over...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Integrated Canister Fuel Cooking Systems State of the Market Report 2011: Part 1 – Overview and Performance Evaluation
September 21, 8:59am

not a scientist
Trust me, I thank the Fates at least once a week that I'm not a scientist. Wills latest stove SOTMR reminds me well: I'm glad folks with those brains are out there, and I'm glad I'...

In Editor's Roundtable » Guidelines for Grizzly Country
September 21, 8:55am

LW rainjackets
The Helium fabric (Pertex) is great. The slick, tight weave is I think why it holds up to abuse to well. I found the fit only ok, and the hood suck IMO. Apparently they're coming out with a ...

In GEAR » LW Rain Jacket
September 21, 8:35am

more stuff
Cape to Victor. Poncho and anorak still available. I'm sneaking away to do some hiking, and won't be back until tomorrow.

In Gear Swap » FS: Stuff
September 20, 7:24am

clikstand
Essence and Clikstand are SOLD. Thanks Jim and Justin. SilCape appears to be a large. No tag, but fits dimensions on the ID website.

In Gear Swap » FS: Stuff
September 19, 7:51pm

re: girly girl
Fantastic trip report. That pic of Kathleen in the tent had me laughing, a lot. Before we were married, my wife and I were on a road trip, and camping above Colorado Spring in the forest. It...

In Post-Trip Reports » Girly Girl GF and SUL BF world's collide, our first overnight together. Bull's Bridge on the AT.
September 19, 6:21pm

All Reader Reviews by David Chenault

Showing 1 - 10 of 25 | Page: 1 2 3

Review

Category

STARBUCKS VIA Italian Roast
Tastes good enough, tiny and easy to use. What could be better? It not being so darn expen$ive.

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
July 27, 2:17pm

Lara Bars Cherry Pie
Tasty, moist, tasty, good calorie to weight ratio, compact, resists deformation, doesn't freeze too bad in the cold, tasty, made of real food, and tasty! Bar-shaped food does not get any bett...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
July 27, 2:16pm

Patagonia Capilene 1 T-Shirt
Cap 1 seems to have changed very little since it was called silkweight capilene back in the day. It dries very quickly, wicks pretty well (though not as well as cap 2), and most importantly feels lig...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
July 27, 2:12pm

Therm-A-Rest Ridgerest
I use a cut-down 48" Ridgerest on every trip. Bombproof, comfy, light, cheap. In winter, I add a full length under it. I actually sleep better on this than most inflatables, but realize I&...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
April 11, 10:47am

MLD Trailstar
In summary: Aside from a bivy sack for good weather and race pace endeavors, I've sold off the rest of my shelters. It's a great cross of a pyramid and a tarp. Finished weight, seam sealed...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
April 11, 10:39am

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
It's hard to get more warmth for the weight (or price). I like having a few pieces to add in as supplementary feet and/or torso pieces. It is quite fragile. Do not leave this on the outside o...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
March 28, 3:18pm

FireLite Trapper's Mug
A very well designed cup. Light, but seems just as functionaly durable as Snowpeak or Evernew stuff. Ideal size for a soloist. The taller than it is wide shape is one I prefer for cooking on a fire...

In Cookware - Titanium
March 28, 3:03pm

Patagonia Houdini Wind Jacket
Note 1: This is a review of my 2005/6 Houdini. It's longevity is revealing (it may have been the Dragonfly back then, even). Note 2: If the price is outrageous, no one would buy it! The prote...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 29, 8:08pm

Patagonia Ready Mix Softshell Pants
I disagree with all Kev's objections, and desperately wish I could find more mediums to buy. The simplicity is what I love best. Actually, the perfect in all conditions from 70-10 F fabric is ...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 29, 8:00pm

patagonia down sweater
Note: I'm folding this review of the Down hooded pullover into this section because 1) the hooded p/o isn't made anymore, 2) the critical comments likely apply broadly. I really liked the d...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
January 27, 10:07am