Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

David Chenault (DaveC) - BPL Staff

My Locale Crown of the Continent
About Me Social worker. Backcountry traveler and writer in my spare time.

I have given up on PMs due to their tendency to encourage poorly considered inquiries. Please contact me through my website. I enjoy pack construction and trip planning questions in particular.
CityThe Fish
StateMontana
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://bedrockandparadox.com
My PDF Gear ListWinter '14/15

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Chenault

Showing 2101 - 2110 of 3537 | Page: 1 ...202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 ...354

Forum » Thread

re: Ozo
The Haglofs Ozo anorak (http://www.haglofs.com/sv-se/produkter/klader/lager/skallager/men/ozo_pullover_en-us.aspx). Currently the lightest G-tex shell on the market. Importing one to the US can b...

In GEAR » Golite Malpais 7 oz shell
October 05, 5:38pm

patching
Those would certainly work. I cut mine off to save weight, and it didn't cause any harm.

In GEAR » Need to repair my golite ponch/tarp
October 05, 12:59pm

jacket fit
Chris you're absolutely right that fit varies a bunch depending on body type and personal preference. I found the Malpais fit not so good, especially compared to something like the Ozo, but ob...

In GEAR » Golite Malpais 7 oz shell
October 05, 12:58pm

re: winter pack
Pinnacle Exos 58 REI Flash 65 Depending on your feature preferences and how they fit you.

In GEAR » Winter Backpack Recommendations
October 04, 12:58pm

gear swap
Thirded.

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » gear swap forum suggestion
October 04, 12:56pm

maze route
I don't know the maze and can't help, but would be interested in hearing what you come up with and how it goes. I'd like to do a comparable trip in the future.

In Pre-Trip Planning » Canyonlands Maze District ideas?
October 04, 12:55pm

sil rip
Doug, if you've got a patch of silnylon lying around I'd laminate a patch over the rip. Sewing might weaken the area further and make a future re-rip more likely. Cut a rounded patch bi...

In GEAR » Need to repair my golite ponch/tarp
October 04, 12:53pm

re: silsag
It spoils me a bit, that non-sag. Might be hard to go back to sil now. The Spinnaker is nice stuff. I need to do a post about my tarp soon.

In GEAR » Why does silnylon stretch?
October 04, 12:30pm

Why does silnylon stretch?
Curious after this weekend, when my new MYOG spinnaker tarp remained drum tight after all-night rain (which was nice): why does silnylon stretch/sag, when spinnaker does not?

In GEAR » Why does silnylon stretch?
October 04, 10:57am

ie axe protector
Pieces of an old mountain bike tire held together with duct tape.

In Make Your Own Gear » Suggestions for ice axe protector?
October 04, 10:26am

All Reader Reviews by David Chenault

Showing 1 - 10 of 25 | Page: 1 2 3

Review

Category

STARBUCKS VIA Italian Roast
Tastes good enough, tiny and easy to use. What could be better? It not being so darn expen$ive.

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
July 27, 2:17pm

Lara Bars Cherry Pie
Tasty, moist, tasty, good calorie to weight ratio, compact, resists deformation, doesn't freeze too bad in the cold, tasty, made of real food, and tasty! Bar-shaped food does not get any bett...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
July 27, 2:16pm

Patagonia Capilene 1 T-Shirt
Cap 1 seems to have changed very little since it was called silkweight capilene back in the day. It dries very quickly, wicks pretty well (though not as well as cap 2), and most importantly feels lig...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
July 27, 2:12pm

Therm-A-Rest Ridgerest
I use a cut-down 48" Ridgerest on every trip. Bombproof, comfy, light, cheap. In winter, I add a full length under it. I actually sleep better on this than most inflatables, but realize I&...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
April 11, 10:47am

MLD Trailstar
In summary: Aside from a bivy sack for good weather and race pace endeavors, I've sold off the rest of my shelters. It's a great cross of a pyramid and a tarp. Finished weight, seam sealed...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
April 11, 10:39am

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
It's hard to get more warmth for the weight (or price). I like having a few pieces to add in as supplementary feet and/or torso pieces. It is quite fragile. Do not leave this on the outside o...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
March 28, 3:18pm

FireLite Trapper's Mug
A very well designed cup. Light, but seems just as functionaly durable as Snowpeak or Evernew stuff. Ideal size for a soloist. The taller than it is wide shape is one I prefer for cooking on a fire...

In Cookware - Titanium
March 28, 3:03pm

Patagonia Houdini Wind Jacket
Note 1: This is a review of my 2005/6 Houdini. It's longevity is revealing (it may have been the Dragonfly back then, even). Note 2: If the price is outrageous, no one would buy it! The prote...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 29, 8:08pm

Patagonia Ready Mix Softshell Pants
I disagree with all Kev's objections, and desperately wish I could find more mediums to buy. The simplicity is what I love best. Actually, the perfect in all conditions from 70-10 F fabric is ...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 29, 8:00pm

patagonia down sweater
Note: I'm folding this review of the Down hooded pullover into this section because 1) the hooded p/o isn't made anymore, 2) the critical comments likely apply broadly. I really liked the d...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
January 27, 10:07am