Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Scott Bentz (scottbentz) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I live in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. I can get to a lot of nice hiking areas right from my street or travel for 15 minutes to higher elevations in the Angeles National Forrest. I started packing again with my sons in their Boy Scout troop. I was definitely not light that first trip 6 years ago and have been reducing my pack weight ever since. I mainly pack a few times a year in the Eastern and Western Sierras.
My PDF Gear ListNorth Lake South Lake 2012

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott Bentz

Showing 211 - 220 of 436 | Page: 1 ...13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ...44

Forum » Thread

Dust and Mules
My understanding is that the JMT was designed so that pack mules could cover every part of the trail. It is amazing sometimes to see those animals coming up over a pass, like Glen Pass. Then again,...

In Gear Lists » Help with clothes list for JMT
January 26, 10:55am

So. Cal Storms
Looks like rain up till 7,000 ft. plus. This will put a damper on the new snow. I'm still waiting to use my season pass at Mt. Waterman. Still be best of the locals but the Station Fire has rea...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » So Cal Hikers - San Jacinto Update
January 25, 5:14pm

Ursacks and Canisters
I use an Ursack. The opening will never close completely no matter how hard you pull on the properly tied knot. It's still an opening. However, if the sack is properly tied to a tree the bear w...

In GEAR » Ursack Update
January 25, 5:05pm

Gatewood Cape/Caldera
I will chime in, if you don't mind. I used the Gatewood Cape last year on my JMT thruhike. We had 2 nights of rain. I also used a bivy. The truth is, I only set the Gatewood up 4 out of the ...

In Gear Lists » JMT gear list feedback please
January 18, 1:32pm

To Each His Own
Funny that you would use a G4 as your example. My son, when he was 15, got interested in sewing. Since we backpack I bought a G4 kit from Quest. It was a tough first project but he did a real nice ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Groupthink at camp MYOG..
January 14, 4:16pm

Philmont Food
As you can see, Philmont food is heavy and bulky. No worries. You will start out as a lightweight crew (right?) so you will be ahead of the game. As for runny food: Always add a bit less water t...

In Philmont » Philmont Food
December 17, 3:48pm

I can comment on 2
I am familiar with 2 of your suggestions: Horseshoe Meadows to Whitney: That's a nice hike. We did it with a group of my nephews, bro. and bro. in law a few years back. First day from Horshe...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Early Season 2010 40 to 50 miler in Sierras
December 17, 3:39pm

Overkill
Jay, I was wondering how many resupplies (if any) you had on your JMT hike. We did a 14 day trip with a resupply in Vermillion and then 1.5 days later at Muir. We were using Scouts and did not h...

In Gear Swap » FS: Bearikade Expedition
December 03, 5:51pm

I use 2 scales
I have 2 scales. One, is from Office Depot. It's a digital postal scale. It weighs up to 11 lbs. The tare feature is useful. Some items are hard to weigh. Using the tare feature, I place a smal...

In GEAR » Scales for weighing gear and where to get them
December 02, 1:29pm

Where do you get Tyvek?
Do you know any contractors or see any construction in your area? If they are wrapping a house in Tyvek just ask. There will be scraps all over the place that you can put to use. I still like Po...

In GEAR » ground cloth preference
November 30, 12:57pm

All Reader Reviews by Scott Bentz

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

MSR MIOX
We used a MSR Miox on a trip with 9 people (Scouts). We got very spotty results and ended up playing with the unit more than we wanted. It seemed like the perfect solution but was not worth the wait. ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 03, 5:04pm