BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 211 - 220 of 671 | Page: 1 ...13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ...68

Forum » Thread

Re: Nemo Meta 1p $147 at REI
Agreed. I have this Tent available for shorter trips where I am willing to take the weight penalty over my SpinnTwin. Works well for Tall people as well with it's 100" length as long as ...

In Gear Deals » Nemo Meta 1p $147 at REI
February 13, 10:02am

Exped Schnozzel is also a pack liner
The schnozzel has 45L capacity which functions very well as a waterproof pack liner. And you don't need a pack cover for rain protection if you can fit most all of your contents inside your pa...

In Multiple Use Gear » Exped Schnozzel is also a pack liner
February 13, 8:24am

Re: re: vest
"Sadly I dont think im going to be in the 5 pound range anymore unless I keep using my CCF. Still I am at 6.43 pounds, and once I add a down jacket ill be around 6.9 pounds for a kit thats pr...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » SUL gear list, how does it look?
February 13, 8:16am

Re: Bottoms "?"
I know I am personally looking at getting the Zpacks Poncho Groundsheet myself and plan to take my GoLite Tumalo rain pants as well. Having hiked last year when I had my Golite Poncho, I didn'...

In Gear Lists » Thoughts on Rain Gear (JMT)
February 12, 1:59pm

RE: Eddie
Yeah, I sadly confirmed that Eddie Bauer is no longer making the Sirocco wind jacket which was by far the best value in the marketplace for a 5oz hooded wind jacket at $50. I called to one of the ...

In GEAR » Hooded Windshirts
February 11, 2:45pm

eVent
Get an eVent bivy. Breathability of eVent is unsurpassed.

In GEAR » Breathable Bivvy - Alpine Conditions and Down Bag
February 09, 8:45pm

SOLD FS GoLite Poncho Tarp Yellow $30 shipped CONUS
SOLD

In Gear Swap » FS GoLite Poncho Tarp Yellow $30 shipped CONUS
February 08, 10:06pm

Re: Re: Re: Peak XV fill weight
EU 750fp is no more than 800fp US and so a little less quality than the Peak XV jacket at US 850fp. Peak XV is fully baffled construction as well so that shouldn't be a difference between thos...

In GEAR » Anyone own a Eddie Bauer Peak XV
February 08, 11:57am

Re: Peak XV down fill weight
"I've read many wonderful reviews about this jacket, but if they reduce down, I don't think that is the same good jacket anymore." Disagree with that statement. I challenge yo...

In GEAR » Anyone own a Eddie Bauer Peak XV
February 07, 4:32pm

Re: Want To BORROW "beginner" flat tarp
I would add this. When I went through this transition I jumped straight to the GoLite Poncho Tarp (Small Tarp) and ended up having to back up a step and now have a GG SpinnTwinn. I would just cau...

In Gear Swap » Want To BORROW "beginner" flat tarp
February 07, 4:26pm

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm