BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 211 - 220 of 660 | Page: 1 ...13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ...66

Forum » Thread

Tarp/Bivy vs Tarp/Ground sheet for rain spray protection
I am contemplating the idea of abandoning the use of a Bivy under my Tarp during relatively bugless environments (i.e., Colorado in summer). Just wondering if anyone has used something like the ZP...

In GEAR » Tarp/Bivy vs Tarp/Ground sheet for rain spray protection
February 05, 8:30pm

New Jam vs Old Jam
Has anyone used/compared the Jam from a couple of years ago (i.e., pre-load lifters with the new version with load lifters). Any real difference in the way it feels to carry 15-20 lbs?

In Gear Deals » 50% golite jam
February 05, 8:22pm

Re: Re: No Problems with Nunatak
Agreed, it seems very odd to have someone be so uninvolved with a community then show up 11 months later to post something like this and then not even engage in the follow on discussion of what he ...

In GEAR » Problems with Nunatak
February 05, 8:20pm

Polycryo vs Zpacks Cuben Groundsheet
I currently have polycryo and it mostly works fine. As for wind performance I think a few well placed rocks along the edges generally hold in place. I do admit to being intrigued by the multipurp...

In GEAR » Best UL groundsheet
February 04, 5:07pm

Re: ZPacks Frankenstein Groundsheet Pancho Bivy
Sorry, I didn't realize that it would actually retain the function of a Poncho after the modification. If it does then you have tremendous piece of multi-use kit. Best of luck! Looking forwar...

In Make Your Own Gear » ZPacks Frankenstein Groundsheet Panco Bivy
February 04, 12:46pm

Question
My only question is why buy and sabotage the Poncho which is heavier. Instead you could have just used the straight zPacks cuben groundsheet which is almost 2oz lighter for the same thing?

In Make Your Own Gear » ZPacks Frankenstein Groundsheet Panco Bivy
February 04, 11:23am

Garbage
At that price you can rest assured those are NOT Merino wool and are worthless garbage. You would be itching you face all day. You get what you pay for in this case. Better to get something li...

In Gear Deals » $2.99 Wool Balaclavas
January 31, 3:29pm

My feedback
My buying habits depend a bit on what I am buying. If I am buying a product that is produced by a big name then typically I will purchase at REI or will purchase online where price and reputatio...

In GEAR » From the owner of ProLiteGear.com - What traits do BPL members consider important in an online gear shop???
January 30, 12:52pm

Excellent video
Nice job Ryan. While I don't have a son, I do have a teenage daughter and can empathize with the lack of interest by today's youth in outdoor activities because of the "inconvenience&...

In Editor's Roundtable » Boys in the Wild (Short Film)
January 30, 8:37am

Re: Re: Syn/down sleep system
Tim at Enlightened Equipment recently responded to a question I posed about using two quilts in winter instead of one. His advice was to put the lower rated quilt on top (i.e., a 40 degree) and th...

In GEAR » Syn/down sleep system
January 25, 12:45pm

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm