BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 211 - 220 of 5366 | Page: 1 ...13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ...537

Forum » Thread

Re: alternative to breadbag socks?
I have had good luck with Rocky GoreTex socks and breathable shoes. BPL published a great article on light winter footwear a few years ago, but you need to be a paying member to read it.

In GEAR » alternative to breadbag socks?
February 09, 10:26pm

Re: A man of many Mchales
Hi Mark, Thanks for the kind words. No, it is only 2 McHales. I found the first one too big for short trips and needed a smaller one that could easily carry a couple gallons of water. I also oft...

In GEAR » Gear Talk
February 09, 10:13pm

Re: Best single piece of advice for new UL backpackers? Particularly women?
I can't give you any advice or tips. But I can tell you why my wife doesn't backpack (and I have never tried to talk her into trying). She loves to hike, and a day hike of 10 - 18 miles is ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Best single piece of advice for new UL backpackers? Particularly women?
February 09, 7:37pm

Re: Re: Re: Gear Talk
William, You make some valid points. Each of us needs to approach backpacking in a way that makes sense to each of us, and in a way that is enjoyable. When I backpack, I like to minimize ...

In GEAR » Gear Talk
February 09, 5:18pm

Re: Gear Talk
Backpacking gear is getting boring

In GEAR » Gear Talk
February 09, 10:24am

Re: how to prepare- general question
What are your biggest concerns when getting ready for a trip? Getting a kitchen pass from the wife -- usually not a problem. Next weekend is a problem; some sort of Hallmark Holiday is on Friday. ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Pre-trip Planning
February 08, 8:19pm

Simple Solution

In Make Your Own Gear » Newbie Seam Sealing my Moment DW
February 08, 8:02pm

Re: Current UL windshirts and breathability: are there other options and layering techniques?
Buy an older version of the Houdini on Gear Swap seems to be a simple solution for the time being.

In GEAR » Current UL windshirts and breathability: are there other options and layering techniques?
February 08, 7:55pm

Re: Sleep aids
Go backpacking more often?

In GEAR » Sleep aids
February 08, 7:50pm

Re: A Casual Poll: Your Fave Go-to 3 season Solo Shelter
Basic Hexamid Solo (non-netting, no beak version). Ruta Locura carbon fiber pole. About 8 ounces for everything. Has handled rain, sleet, light snow, and wind. My go to shelter for mos...

In GEAR » A Casual Poll: Your Fave Go-to 3 season Solo Shelter
February 08, 7:46pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am