Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Mark Larson (mlarson) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southeast USA
About Me Lifelong student and nerd in general, currently working on the web. I have a bias for higher mileage and longer days on the trail. Most of my hikes are on the border of SUL & UL; I still weigh everything, but pretty much stopped using spreadsheets. I read all the time, blog less, and run a good bit.
CityAtlanta
StateGA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.mlarson.org

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mark Larson

Showing 211 - 220 of 338 | Page: 1 ...13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ...34

Forum » Thread

Re: UL long distance list
Overall, it looks like the list makes a lot of sense. I'd make some changes based on personal preference, though. -I can't do the bag liner thing. Drives me crazy. I'd reinvest those ounces in a s...

In Gear Lists » UL long distance list
February 12, 9:00pm

Re: Hyper-Light Gear List, The Final Frontier
Small world, Bill. I was born and grew up in Dahlonega, left there in fall '97. It will be interesting to see how little you have to give up--that's a great way to think through the challenge. I...

In Gear Lists » Hyper-Light Gear List, The Final Frontier
February 12, 8:41pm

Another UL wallet
I met a guy in the library the other day who was using a wallet from www.all-ett.com. I let him admire my Simblissity model, while I looked over his. The All-Ett makes spinnaker wallets in a coupl...

In GEAR » Another UL wallet
February 10, 6:47am

Re: Newbie Questions [fastpack]
I agree with the others that an AR-style pack will probably best suit you. Some packs in this range that could work well... GoLite Team, Speed, Race, Multi-Sport, maybe even the Jam or Vision; ULA ...

In GEAR » Newbie Questions
February 09, 7:58pm

Re: Plantar fasciitis
Another nice way to get some massage/relief is to roll your foot on something round. A tennis ball, can of something, a free weight, the legs on your office chair... Combined with regular, gentle s...

In GEAR » Help Plantar faciitis!!!
February 08, 6:35pm

Re: ORWM Press Release - Can't Resist
There was a fashion show??? Oh dear... -Mark

In Editor's Roundtable » The Wrap (Outdoor Retailer Winter Market 2006)
February 07, 9:20pm

Re: Re: Re: what's the big deal?
Anon writes:Despite all the informative responses by the staff, there's one big question that remains unanswered --- That is, is the online BPL going to only have reviews and the paper BPL contains...

In Chaff » BPL double charging?
February 06, 9:08pm

Re: Re: It's very simple, really
[Neil Bender--It's always nice to hear from another Austrian outside of Mises.org!] Definitely agree with the earlier mention child-rearing paranoia these days. Also add in the demise of summer ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Wilderness De-Engagement: Soul Decay in the Outdoor Industry
February 01, 9:01pm

Re: Re: When Blue Foam Pad Is No Longer Good Enough...
For close cell, my observations of increasing comfort are: standard blue, Z-Rest, Ridgerest, Evazote [Mt.W, GG, etc.]. For me, inflatables pretty much go by thickness and how firm/soft you can blow...

In GEAR » When Blue Foam Pad Is No Longer Good Enough...
January 28, 11:42pm

Re: Repair Quantum?
I made about the same size holes on my Featherlite. I used 2 small squares of Scotch translucent tape to patch mine[the grey-ish kind, not the clear kind]. I place one square on either side, and th...

In GEAR » Repair Quantum?
January 25, 6:15pm

All Reader Reviews by Mark Larson

Showing 1 - 10 of 18 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

GoLite Virga
Used this one on the AT this summer. My particular model has 1 large pocket on the right-hand side. I accidentally purchased a Small @ 8.1oz, but it ended up working out just fine for size [5'11, ...

In Clothing - Raingear
July 18, 8:18am

Montrail Masai
I like the Masai quite a bit. They don't wear as well as many other shoes. The toe rubber and seams started to flake out around the 300-mile mark, but surprisingly the fabric itself showed very li...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
June 01, 10:26am

Gossamer Gear Miniposa
I've put about 1000 miles on this pack, and so far it has easily displaced my GoLite Jam as my go-to pack. And I really love my Jam. I had the new Miniposa mailed to me in the middle of a long ...

In Backpacks - Frameless
May 14, 9:29am

Inov8 Flyroc 310
The Flyrocs are quite good. The deep-lugged soles make for excellent grip. I like that the heel isn't significantly raised, so you the shoes feel nice and close to the ground. The open mesh lets some ...

July 02, 9:07am

Evernew Nonstick Titanium 0.9 L Pot
This pot has great dimensions. Wide base, but not too shallow. Also wide enough to fit a trimmed spoon inside with my entire kitchen, and still close completely. I like the volume for meals on long-te...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 16, 11:19am

Gatorade Bottle
I'll put a plug in the for the Gatorade Endurance bottles in particular. They are a little more narrow and taller than the standard squatty bottles, so they fit more easily in side pockets. 1L/34oz ca...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
November 04, 3:05am

Salomon Tech Amhibian
This shoe is almost brilliant. I love the mesh, and the thin tongue is very comfortable. The footbed is probably the most supportive and comfortable I've ever used--no sore spots or aches. My bones an...

November 04, 3:00am

U.S. Department of Defense MRE Spoon
Meals-ready-to-eat come with great spoons, and some food, too. I'm not sure who the manufacturer is or where to find them commercially. The spoons have a generous length, long to reach the bottom o...

In Cookware - Other
November 04, 2:49am

Montane Featherlite
A great, great windshirt, and I've been really surprised by its inclement weather performance. I've been on brief runs [20-40 minutes] in the rain with the Featherlite. While it eventually wets out an...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
November 04, 2:40am

Equinox Silnylon Poncho
This is a review of the non-extended version, which I've really grown to like. Just a bit over 7oz, about 7.75 feet long, and a bargain at $40-50. I have had no problems with durability; snags on tree...

In Clothing - Raingear
November 04, 2:29am