Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John Whynot (jdw01776) - BPL Guest

My Locale Southeast Texas
About Me Hiking and backpacking (on and off) since 1976, mainly in the northeastern United States.
CityHouston
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Whynot

Showing 211 - 220 of 557 | Page: 1 ...13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ...56

Forum » Thread

Re: Trip Report: 2010 Teton Crest Expedition
The picture of the day 4 camp is stunning...

In Editor's Roundtable » Trip Report: 2010 Teton Crest Expedition
February 22, 8:47pm

Re: Re: How do you actually hike/ spend your time hiking?
+1 on what Douglas said. As a solo hiker, I like to start early, hike all day with minimal breaks, and stop as late as possible. With an ultralight load, I find I don't need to stop very oft...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How do you actually hike/ spend your time hiking?
February 22, 11:13am

Re: Your Heuristic Hierarchy
Knowledge + Skill + Experience + Fitness, combined with a sound decision-making process. Fitness is way under-rated in the decision making process -- physical fatigue leads to mental fatigue whi...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Your Heuristic Hierarchy
February 22, 9:28am

Re: Re: Effect of long-term long-distance hiking on health
@Jim -- >>Hi Roger, do you happen to have a few links to this info? Haven't taken any long treks but I do walk a lot outside of winter and I have this same problem once I get more than a ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Effect of long-term long-distance hiking on health
February 19, 3:14pm

Re: Chiles & spice cocoa?
>>Has anyone tried the Dagoba Xocolatl chocolate with chilies and spice? I had the bar version, and it is very good...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Cocoa mix
February 19, 2:51pm

Re: Re: Only 30% of Americans Hold a Passport
Saudi Arabia is my most exotic visa/stamp. Went there on business...

In Chaff » Only 30% of Americans Hold a Passport
February 18, 1:46pm

Re: Harmony House FD Sweet Potatoes - Yetch!
Too bad -- since switching to the Paleo Diet, sweet potatoes are a favorite, and I was thinking of trying the Harmony House FD ones. I see a dehydrator purchase soon...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Harmony House FD Sweet Potatoes - Yetch!
February 17, 9:30am

Re: Is it worth it?
@ Dave "But a new pair of AT boots is a round trip plane ticket to Alaska, and experience continues to fill one up long after gear has been worn out and replaced" The line quoted above...

In GEAR » Is it worth it?
February 17, 7:56am

Re: I'm looking for a warm shirt
Would a fleece vest work? How about something like the Arcteryx Breva? I'm thinking of getting one for use in cold rainy conditions...

In GEAR » I'm looking for a warm shirt
February 14, 12:53pm

Re: Walrus trekker and insert appeared
Shelter for East Texas in late May and June would be an air-conditioned house -- it's typically quite hot and humid by then. I don't even think about camping here much later than mid April....

In GEAR » Shelter for east Texas from Febuary to June?
February 12, 10:11am

All Reader Reviews by John Whynot

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

StickPic camera mount
A clever, well-engineered, and lightweight (0.35 ounces by my scale) gadget for mounting a camera on the tip of a trekking pole. Should work with any compact camera with a tripod socket. Works ver...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
June 16, 10:55am

BPL Thorofare Trekking Pants
I purchased these as a replacement for my overbuilt Montbell Stretch Windpants. The fabric of the Trekking pants is a microgrid ripstop nylon, with a slightly textured inner surface. Size medium...

In Clothing - Raingear
December 07, 8:31pm