BPL Community Profile

Richard Matthews (food) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado Rockies
About Me Orienteering 25+ years.

Xski and done 20+ hut trips

Hiked Colorado Trail and now adopter.

Hiked Wonderland Trail

Summitted 29 14'ers.

40+ nights below the rim in the Grand Canyon. Linked trips to walk from Cameron to Elves Chasm.
CityWheat Ridge
StateColorado

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Matthews

Showing 211 - 220 of 392 | Page: 1 ...13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ...40

Forum » Thread

Re: Cold Feet
I think an elephant's foot or half bag would make an excellent addition to the Cocoon line. The Cocoon hoody & pants combined with a Jacks'R'Better No Sniveller quilt would be a ...

In GEAR » Cold Feet
June 28, 4:41pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Campmor poncho --- good, but some downsides
I have used the Campmor Extension and GoLite poncho as the fly on my HH Expedition for three years. Been through moderate to severe storms with no problem.

In GEAR » Poncho Vs. Rain Jacket
June 28, 2:54pm

Re: Question of curiosity...
I have my hair cut a week before hikes because that makes my hat fit best. A little length is warmer and provides some sun protection. Longer is harder to keep clean and takes too long to dry. ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Question of curiosity...
June 27, 4:24pm

Re: Any experiences with Nunatak Epic?
I have an Arc Alpinist in Epic. It was a discounted demo - I did not seek out the Epic. The Epic breathes well and is pretty wind proof. I think it adds some warmth to the quilt. No down leakage.

In GEAR » Any experiences with Nunatak Epic?
June 26, 10:45am

Re: Looking for some basic info on the Colorado Trail
Tha Wookie did the field work for the Data Book in a very dry year. A lot of the water comes from snow melt, so is heavier early. There are some places along ridges where the water is a little sc...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Looking for some basic info on the Colorado Trail
June 26, 8:18am

Cataract Ridge Reroute
Eric, Did you get good information on the Cataract Ridge Reroute?

In GEAR » colorado trail - raingear and stove
June 26, 8:03am

Re: colorado trail - raingear and stove
The monsoon in Colorado was pretty wet last year. Much more than afternoon thunderstorms. I use a poncho and use a pack liner - but I am a braces and belt kind of guy. The poncho is my hammock...

In GEAR » colorado trail - raingear and stove
June 25, 4:46pm

Re: how to use caches
I place a cache almost every time I hike an out and back trail. Most of the time the cache is just a bottle of diet Coke left in the first stream crossing. I generally mark the trail/stream junct...

In Philosophy & Technique » how to use caches
June 20, 2:57pm

Re: Trangias
Chris, I got a compressed gas burner for my Trangia 27. In the winter the gas canister can be inverted to make it a very robust winter stove. However you lose simmer control with the canister ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Stoves, Tents and Carbon Monoxide - Deadly or not? Part 4: Measurements on Alcohol Stoves
June 13, 2:56pm

TiGoat bivy
I am 5'10" but wear a 48 regular jacket. Side sleepers need extra room to bend our legs. On the rare buggy nights I like to have enough room to read. The extra storage room for gear i...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bivy Advice?
June 12, 4:24pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Matthews

Showing 1 - 10 of 11 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Trail Designs Customer Service
Rand provides better customer service that we have a right to expect. The Caldera Cones are the most fuel efficient that I have used.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
November 26, 3:48pm

zpacks Company
I have purchased packs and pouches and had Joe do some custom sewing. The quality is excellent and the delivery time is great. I mailed him a G4 for some modifications and received it back in 8 da...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 04, 8:23am

Zpacks Blast 32
Blast 32 by Zpack Options and additions: Webbing belt, Sternum strap, Daisy chain on shoulder straps, Base shock cord loops, One shoulder pouch, Shockcord and cordlock water bottle holder on ...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 26, 9:08am

Equinox Silnylon Poncho
I use the extended version sold through Campmor. Recently I did a rainy week long hike with my 74 year old friend. We wore our ponchos at some time every day for a week. When we were coming out we ...

In Clothing - Raingear
January 04, 9:54am

Jacks R Better No Sniveller quilt
I got the No Sniveller and Nest together to use with my hammock. When wearing expedition weight long underwear the quilts will keep me warm to 30 degrees in the hammock. I also use the NS on the g...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
January 03, 3:23pm

Hennessy Hammock Asym
I have used the Hennessy as my primary shelter for 4 years now. The A-Sym design allows a poncho to be used as the fly. The bottom entry allows the fly to be set very close to the hammock. This...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
January 03, 3:09pm

Gatorade Bottle
I use a cozy made out of CCF pad so that I can shake my hot beverages. The mouth is just wide enough to allow drink mixes to be added without spilling. They fit in a normal bike bottle holster. ...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
January 03, 2:37pm

Trangia 28-5 Mini Aluminum Cook Pot
The lid from the AntiGravityGear 3 cup pot fits pretty well on the pot. Pour in a bag meals become monotonous quickly. This set gives me the ability to fry. The skillet works well with the alco...

In Cookware - Other
January 03, 2:27pm

Mary Jane's Farm Sante Fe Pasta
Don't forget Nick's Couch Potatoes, Red Pesto Pasta and Mac & Cheese. Lots of olive oil with all of them. I generally add chopped turkey pepperoni or bacon crumbles.

In Foods - Prepackaged Meals & Side Dishes
August 04, 7:18am

Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo
This tent brings together many of the superior design features from other light weight tents. The basic design is similar to the Dancing Light Gear Tacoma Solo Shelter. The Lunar solo has a very g...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
August 04, 7:08am