Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Brian Lewis (brianle) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Pacific NW
About Me Thru-hiked the PCT in 2008 NOBO, the AT in 2010 NOBO, and the CDT in 2011 SOBO.
http://postholer.com/brianle
CityBellevue
StateWA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListBrian Lewis (Gadget) AT NOBO 2010 Gearlist --- late Feb start

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Brian Lewis

Showing 211 - 220 of 684 | Page: 1 ...13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ...69

Forum » Thread

re: The viewfinder...
As someone who hiked on occasion with Ben (aka Rooster) in 2010, I can say that while he did sometimes take some time to set up a shot, for the most part he was fully immersed in "where he was...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Some thoughts on photography and isolation
February 17, 9:35am

thru-hiking picture
The one with the huge pack is actually how thru-hikers see section and weekend hikers, FWIW ... :-) Still, fun stuff. For some reason there seems like a flurry of various of these "how dif...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Funny Thru Hiking Picture
February 17, 12:40am

gear durability on long distance trail use
Having done the three long trails over the last four years, I’ve had some gear issues too; I think I tend to trade out my gear/clothing more often than Christine. Certainly more than some other ...

In GEAR » Gear: What breaks when and why?
February 17, 12:25am

Mariposa
"Even though many of you have suggested the circuit we are going to go mariposa plus because our weight throughout the non-bear canister required part of the pct is going to be around 24 pound...

In Gear Lists » 2012 PCT list
February 04, 6:08am

Agree with the consensus
Buy a canister if you think it likely you'll ever need one again; I liked the JMT portion enough that my wife and I plan to hike it together this year. Off-hand, if buying I think I'd get ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » PCT Bear Canister Question
January 22, 5:28am

depends on expectations, and what you bring to the table
The quite large outdoor club in my region is more focused on climbers than hikers/backpackers, and has IMO a fairly high overall cost structure, so I've tended to steer clear in the past, but s...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Finally joined a club...
January 22, 5:18am

postholer too
As long as we're listing sites for info --- I certainly agree that Yogi's guide is well worth getting for this sort of thing and many more. You can also get some relevant info on postholer...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » PCT Re-Supply
January 19, 4:21pm

solio not so great for droid x ?
When I got my Droid X I tried out my Solio charger with it. It's been over a year now so I don't recall the precise results but my conclusion was that it wasn't worth carrying the Solio...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Droid Users and The Backcountry
January 13, 1:35pm

why repackage?
"My plan was to buy a bunch of AquaMira upfront and then repackage it to send along the trail." Repackage the Aqua Mira if you really want to, but I wouldn't bother; for me it'...

In Gear Lists » 2012 PCT from scratch
January 10, 11:58am

So many places
Hi Dirk. Since you're also in the PNW, I'll suggest chunks of the PCT you haven't done in this neighborhood ... ? Here in WA state, consider starting in Canada and hiking the PCT as ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Three weeks + - where would you go?
January 07, 1:56pm

All Reader Reviews by Brian Lewis

Showing 1 - 10 of 12 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Ursack Minor
The "Ursack Minor" is quite distinct from the traditional Ursack, in that it's not meant to be bear proof (or "resistant" or whatever). Instead, Ursack says it's "for...

In Miscellaneous Products
August 10, 9:05am

Golite Force
I use Golite shoes because the toe-box is shaped a lot more like the front of an actual human foot. More specifically, most trail runners or other shoes give me problems due to bunionettes (little to...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 10, 8:45am

Montbell Thermawrap jacket
For 3-season backpacking, my thermawrap jacket is my sole insulation layer, coupled in some limited cases with a thermawrap vest. It's just a fantastic piece of clothing in terms of both weight ...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
August 10, 8:23am

Montbell Thermawrap Vest
I have a size medium Thermawrap jacket and a size large Thermawrap vest; I probably should have reversed those to be able to layer the vest under the jacket rather than over, but it actually works fin...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
August 10, 8:15am

Thermarest Neo-Air
Like Dylan Carlson, I also used a Neo-Air (size regular for me) on a thru-hike. My thru-hike was of the Appalachian Trail, starting in late February (2010), so a lot of snow and cold weather in the f...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
August 10, 8:02am

REI REI Peak UL Compact Hiking Poles
I too had something over 3000 miles on my pair --- the majority of that thru-hiking the PCT in 2008 plus a variety of much shorter trips. I started my AT thru-hike with them (early in 2010), but just...

In Trekking Poles
August 10, 7:36am

Memory-Map Navigator
This is actually a comparison of two product alternatives for putting topographic software on a Windows Mobile platform smartphone with a true GPS. The 4/5 rating is for one of those, Memory-Map Navi...

In Navigation Gear & Accessories
September 22, 9:55pm

Golite Versa Force
Let me start by saying that my rating of '4' is tentative until I've done more miles in these. But as I found nothing useful in searching for reviews of currently-available Golite footwe...

August 10, 12:25pm

ULA Axis Crampon
I'm hoping to thru-hike the PCT next year, and one of many equipment issues for me was the question of whether to use crampons or not in the Sierras. I also do day hikes in "shoulder" s...

April 12, 12:13pm

Western Mountaineering SummerLite
I agree --- the summerlite is excellent. I frankly don't trust any individual evaluation of a sleeping bag temperature rating (32F in this case); so many things affect this, including not only th...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
March 21, 10:59am