BPL Community Profile

Charles G. (Rincon) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Desert Southwest
About Me Mountaineer and backpacker since 1946 mainly in the western US but with excursions to Antarctica, Alaska, western Canada, North Africa and Japan. Hiked the John Muir Trail solo and unsupported in 1954; this was the start of my lightweight endeavors which have proceeded erratically ever since.
StateSE Arizona
My PDF Gear ListThree season gear for western mountains.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Charles G.

Showing 211 - 220 of 311 | Page: 1 ...13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

Forum » Thread

jmt exit strategies
Starr's "Guide to the John Muir Trail" lists just about all of the lateral trails connecting with the JMT, both east and west, and includes mileage and altitudes along the way. It al...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » jmt exit strategies
July 15, 8:21am

Hoary Marmot
As best I can tell from the photo, that is a Hoary Marmot, the marmot common to the Olympics. The only other possibility in that part of the world would be the Yellow-bellied Marmot; the one in yo...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Marmot I.D
July 14, 7:31am

Amoebic dysintery from water
I had a rousing case of amoebic dysentery from water I drank in the southern Appalachians. I was in the Army at the time and was a medic with formal training in preventative medicine (You know, wa...

In GEAR » Lightest water treatment/filtration
July 13, 5:24pm

Anecdotal evidence
Jessie, your statement of having drunk from clear looking sources for ten years and never having gotten sick is what is called "anecdotal evidence"; it is basically irrelevant and meaning...

July 13, 8:27am

Lightest water treatment/filtration
Sharon, I routinely use a pre-filter when I hike in SE Arizona. I spent five days in the Rincon Mountains about a week ago and the only water I could find would hit you back if you touched it. ...

July 10, 2:57pm

Applying UL lessons to life -- suggested reading?
The book "Your Money or Your Life" by Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin covers a lot of this sort of thing and also describes a way of getting off the consumerist treadmill and making oneself...

In Philosophy & Technique » Applying UL lessons to life -- suggested reading?
July 09, 8:42am

Lightest water treatment/filtration
I don't think there is anyone on this forum, no matter how experienced, that can tell by looking whether water is safe. Sure, there are many uncontaminated water sources (and many contaminated...

July 09, 8:31am

High Altitude Lighters???
I have used Bic lighters with no problems at all to well over 14,000 ft elevation. I am sure that there are lots of others out there that share my experience. Some friends of mine used theirs rou...

In GEAR » High Altitude Lighters???
July 08, 2:11pm

Golite Jam 2 Vs. Golite Pinnacle
I just finished loading my Jam2 for a five night trip into the Sierra with a BV 350. It worked pretty well. My gear list is not that different from yours; the major difference is that I use a The...

In GEAR » Golite Jam 2 Vs. Golite Pinnacle
July 06, 4:35pm

JMT..... leave the down jacket at home
It depends entirely on what else you are taking. Last year for an early September JMT through-hike I used a merino SS T-shirt, a 100 wt fleece pullover and a MontBell down inner vest. I also ...

In GEAR » JMT..... leave the down jacket at home?
July 06, 7:47am

All Reader Reviews by Charles G.

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1
Rating: rated 4 of 5 stars Design: Semi-free-standing Sleeps: 1 Ease of Setup: Moderately easy Weight: 2 lb, 3 oz Price Paid: $240 I bought the Big Agnes Fly Creek to replace a Tarptent Contra...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
February 12, 7:32pm