BPL Community Profile

Charles G. (Rincon) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Desert Southwest
About Me Mountaineer and backpacker since 1946 mainly in the western US but with excursions to Antarctica, Alaska, western Canada, North Africa and Japan. Hiked the John Muir Trail solo and unsupported in 1954; this was the start of my lightweight endeavors which have proceeded erratically ever since.
StateSE Arizona
My PDF Gear ListThree season gear for western mountains.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Charles G.

Showing 211 - 220 of 279 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Forum » Thread

Contrail Trekking Pole
Or, you could just use a single trekking pole and cut some weight that way. If you don't use poles now and are happy then just get the lightest adjustable single pole you can find. Perhaps so...

In GEAR » Contrail Trekking Pole
May 23, 5:55pm

Packing your bag - Jam2
First in is my bag or quilt in a slightly loose, home-made, silnylon stuff sack. This goes in horizontally. On top of that goes the food, usually in either an Ursack or a Bear Vault vertically. ...

In GEAR » Packing your bag - Jam2
May 22, 7:58am

Limbaugh
What is the difference between the Hindenburg and Rush Limbaugh? One is a flaming Nazi gasbag, the other is (was) a dirigible.

In Chaff » Guns in parks?.... maybe soon!
May 20, 5:26pm

Quit smoking first!
Frankly, I think you would do yourself a lot more good if you were to quit smoking than if you were to simply start hiking with a heavy pack. I smoked for eight years and speaking from persona...

In GEAR » Beginner Backpack
May 19, 7:23am

Breaking Micropur Tablets in Half?
I've done it a couple of times but didn't like the results. The remaining half tablet will decompose to powder quickly after it is exposed to water vapor in the air and, I presume, looses ...

In GEAR » Breaking Micropur Tablets in Half?
May 18, 4:48pm

Ptarmigan Traverse
I did the Ptarmigan Traverse in 1970 with two other climbers. We climbed the major peaks along the traverse including Gunsight (or Blue Pk.) and finished up by climbing Glacier Peak and coming out...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Ptarmigan Traverse
May 18, 2:02pm

Desert guys - pack choice?
If I have to carry more than a gallon on a particular trip, I use my veteran Mountainsmith Phantom. It weighs just under 45 oz after trimming and rides quite comfortably with up to 40 lb.

In GEAR » Desert guys - pack choice?
May 14, 1:57pm

which synthetic quilt
If you are at all handy with a sewing machine, you may want to look at the quilt kits offered by Ray and Jenny Jardine. Google RayWay and look at what they have to offer. You can pretty much cust...

In GEAR » which synthetic quilt
May 13, 7:32am

Shipping Food to the JMT
I vacuum-sealed all of the food that went to Muir Trail Ranch. I sent 11 days worth to MTR and it barely fit into the 5-gallon bucket. Vacuum-sealed packages definitely take up more room than mo...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Shipping Food to the JMT
May 12, 8:05am

Stealth Camping
Quoting Simon Winchell: "I would rather have my food with me in black bear country, so if a bear does come after it I have a good chance of scaring it off and keeping my food." Simon,...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bear Can Cheating?
May 08, 11:14am

All Reader Reviews by Charles G.

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1
Rating: rated 4 of 5 stars Design: Semi-free-standing Sleeps: 1 Ease of Setup: Moderately easy Weight: 2 lb, 3 oz Price Paid: $240 I bought the Big Agnes Fly Creek to replace a Tarptent Contra...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
February 12, 7:32pm