BPL Community Profile

Charles G. (Rincon) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Desert Southwest
About Me Mountaineer and backpacker since 1946 mainly in the western US but with excursions to Antarctica, Alaska, western Canada, North Africa and Japan. Hiked the John Muir Trail solo and unsupported in 1954; this was the start of my lightweight endeavors which have proceeded erratically ever since.
StateSE Arizona
My PDF Gear ListThree season gear for western mountains.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Charles G.

Showing 211 - 220 of 302 | Page: 1 ...12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Forum » Thread

JMT..... leave the down jacket at home
It depends entirely on what else you are taking. Last year for an early September JMT through-hike I used a merino SS T-shirt, a 100 wt fleece pullover and a MontBell down inner vest. I also ...

In GEAR » JMT..... leave the down jacket at home?
July 06, 7:47am

Cheap kilt
I left the rain pants (chaps) at home for my JMT hike last year. But, I did take along a plastic trash bag to use as an emergency rain kilt a la Colin Fletcher. Weighs about an ounce and has othe...

In GEAR » rain pants...are you leaving them home?
July 04, 10:52pm

Lightest water treatment/filtration
I have used a Steripen Adventurer for three years now and feel that it works as well as any of the water treatment systems available to backpackers. Of course nobody on this forum can tell you wit...

In GEAR » Lightest water treatment/filtration
July 03, 3:26pm

Gaiters
"As for gaiters I have never found a pair of gaiters that do not ride up over the top of low cuts. They are just another piece of gear to worry about." My experience has been just the ...

In GEAR » Hey JMTers, what's your FOOTWEAR?
June 29, 7:40am

container for Steripen Adventurer
I have had poor performance from the rechargeable batteries that I have tried. I now use lithium ion cells with complete satisfaction. Some folks, including me, have had problems using the pu...

In GEAR » container for Steripen Adventurer
June 28, 11:58pm

FOOTWEAR?
I hiked the JMT last year wearing a pair of Montrail Hardrocks and a pair of Dirty Girl gaiters. The gaiters are great for keeping sand, gravel and horse guano out of your shoes. I had no problem...

In GEAR » Hey JMTers, what's your FOOTWEAR?
June 28, 7:14pm

container for Steripen Adventurer
I took an empty two liter pop bottle, put one half liter of water in it, marked that level with a Sharpie®, added another half liter, marked again then added one inch for free-board and cut the to...

In GEAR » container for Steripen Adventurer
June 27, 5:47pm

Prolite 3 pad
I'm a side sleeper and use the 1" thick Thermarest Prolite 3 Short unless I'm on snow. I am in my 70's and find that the 1" thick pad is all that I need. I do inflate it so ...

In GEAR » Thermarest Trail?
June 24, 1:15pm

Dogs - Poison Oak, Giardia
Yes, dogs can get Giardia: I had an Alaskan Malamute that had a serious case. The most difficult thing about it was getting a diagnosis. From what I was told, most vets do not see very many cases...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Dogs - Poison Oak, Giardia
June 22, 10:30am

JMT for Two 2009
Unless you plan to resupply by going out over Kersarge Pass for a pickup in Independence, or unless you will be really moving along, you will need the canister capacity to protect seven to ten days...

In Gear Lists » JMT for Two 2009
June 14, 2:16pm

All Reader Reviews by Charles G.

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1
Rating: rated 4 of 5 stars Design: Semi-free-standing Sleeps: 1 Ease of Setup: Moderately easy Weight: 2 lb, 3 oz Price Paid: $240 I bought the Big Agnes Fly Creek to replace a Tarptent Contra...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
February 12, 7:32pm