BPL Community Profile

Brad Groves (4quietwoods) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Michigan
About Me Mostly longer trips without resupply, in what usually seems to be cold and wet conditions. Over two decades of backcountry travel including backpacking and canoe tripping. I consider Marquette to be my home, but I currently live down-state. Many years as a buyer in specialty outdoor retail.
My PDF Gear Listalways changing

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Brad Groves

Showing 211 - 220 of 1559 | Page: 1 ...13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ...156

Forum » Thread

Re: Titanium Equiv of AGG 2qt pot
I've found that trying to fry foods in super-thin cookware generally works out badly. Stove heat basically goes straight to food; if you want to fry, I'd get something with a thicker bottom...

In GEAR » Titanium Equiv of AGG 2qt pot
September 23, 10:25am

re: platys
Just for grins & out of curiosity I filled a couple of different platys and took turns standing and bouncing on them, trying to blow them out. I've done this a few times, just... because. M...

In GEAR » Bladder durability
September 23, 10:05am

Re: Sleeping bag input
Definitely recommend a warmer pad if you're trying to push the temp limits of the bag. Between the Antelope and Versalite... they're the same cut, but the Antelope adds another 6 ounces ...

In GEAR » Sleeping bag input
September 23, 9:57am

re:aluminized prolites
The NeoAir has a R-value of 2.5; the upcoming NeoAir Trekker has the same construction, but loses the radiant barrier of the original... and the R-value only drops to 2.0. I suspect that there woul...

In GEAR » Conversation W/ Cascade Designs
September 23, 9:46am

Re: Dog Quilt
Having two dogs who have spent nights below 0F, can recommend essentially down/synthetic insulated vests. (I pretty much re-use ones made for humanoids.) Taper a bit more toward their bellies. Do n...

In Make Your Own Gear » Dog Quilt
September 12, 5:47pm

Re: new winter sleeping bag
If you're hoping to push to -20 at times, get the Antelope MF w/overfill. I probably wouldn't bother with the WS... although I do have it on mine and do like that it forms a waterproof chan...

In GEAR » new winter sleeping bag
September 12, 5:33pm

Re: Weight for tents? What is the difference
What Ray said. "Trail" or "minimum" is usually just body, poles, fly. Packed is literally everything. Note that many cottage makers will list "minimum," ie not w/st...

In GEAR » Weight for tents? What is the difference...
September 12, 4:12pm

Re: WM Megalite vs Marmot Hydrogen
W/the 2 bags side by side, fully lofted, WM clearly has more even loft, better down distribution. WM also known for rating its bags to what we're referring to more as en comfort...

In GEAR » WM Megalite vs Marmot Hydrogen
September 12, 3:53pm

Re: Any hope for a fly that has become "tacky"
Pretty much think you're outta luck. However, if you're of an experimental & light-hearted ilk... I was recently wondering about the possibility of painting tent waterproofing right ...

In GEAR » Any hope for a fly that has become "tacky"
September 12, 3:36pm

Re: Pack fit.
I dunno, David. Opinions vary, of course. I'm not overly familiar w/McHale packs, frankly, but I seem to recall the reason he uses a "v" strap on the front of the belt is to encourage...

In GEAR » Pack fit: slowly slides down back
August 22, 10:41am

All Reader Reviews by Brad Groves

Brad Groves has posted no reviews.