BPL Community Profile

Bob Gross (--B.G.--) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Silicon Valley
About Me I was backpacking ultralight before Ray ever published!

Photo Gallery:
http://imagetransactions.zenfolio.com
My Website URLhttp://www.imagetransactions.com

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Bob Gross

Showing 211 - 220 of 11438 | Page: 1 ...13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ...1144

Forum » Thread

Re: Reality bites
When I took my initial first aid course over 35 years ago, they showed us a short movie, "By Natures Rules" I think. It was a drama of a backpacking group heading out in nice weather, and...

In GEAR » how to handle base layers in freezing rain
September 06, 10:19pm

Re: First Solo JMT SOBO at age 64
"Actually hiked with Hulda Crooks about 3 times." Probably few people here know who she was. Hulda Crooks had the nickname of Grandma Whitney. She never started any mountaineering u...

In Post-Trip Reports » First Solo JMT SOBO at age 64
September 06, 4:04pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: alternatives
Rather than a rain skirt, I wanted rain pants for cool weather, so I got the kit from Thru-Hiker for Liberty Ridge Pants. I sewed a thin Momentum fabric, and the finished article weighs about 2.4 o...

In Make Your Own Gear » no-sew CF skirt - possible?
September 05, 3:15pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: How do you tarp?
I agree with Jerry. The general distinction is that a tent has an integral floor. It's that simple. --B.G.--

In GEAR » How do you tarp?
September 05, 1:04pm

Re: Re: alternatives
For cuben fiber up to about 1 ounce, I would go with tape only. Cuben fiber has tiny internal strength threads, and there are different amounts depending on which weight of fabric it is. In the ...

September 05, 1:00pm

Re: stoves
Keep in mind that as the temperature gets colder, a butane blend stove will suffer in performance. However, as the altitude gets higher (atmospheric pressure is reduced), the butane blend "com...

In Gear Swap » wtb: liquid fuel stove for winter
September 05, 12:51pm

Re: Re: LEAVE NO TRACE
"Does the depletion of downed wood make that much of a difference?" In some national parks like Yosemite, there is a lot of forest well below timberline. However, around timberline, th...

In Philosophy & Technique » LEAVE NO TRACE
September 05, 11:42am

Re: wtb: liquid fuel stove for winter
A similar stove that you might look for is the MSR Simmerlite. --B.G.--

In Gear Swap » wtb: liquid fuel stove for winter
September 05, 12:26am

Re: Re: no-sew CF skirt - possible?
I guess you know that .51 ounce cuben fiber is awfully flimsy and is relatively transparent. To improve the wearability, I think that you would want to step up a notch or two on the weight. --B....

September 04, 5:06pm

Re: thanks!
"What thread/needle should I use to stitch velcro to CF?" As previously stated, you want to first decide what weight of cuben fiber you intend to use. If it is the thin stuff, you may ...

September 04, 12:13pm

All Reader Reviews by Bob Gross

Bob Gross has posted no reviews.