BPL Community Profile

Bob Gross (--B.G.--) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Silicon Valley
About Me I was backpacking ultralight before Ray ever published!

Photo Gallery:
http://imagetransactions.zenfolio.com
My Website URLhttp://www.imagetransactions.com

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Bob Gross

Showing 211 - 220 of 10339 | Page: 1 ...13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ...1034

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Water purification alternatives?
Yes, Frontier Pro gravity filter with pills for failure backup if necessary. --B.G.--

In GEAR » Water purification alternatives?
March 23, 9:25pm

Re: Titanium Sand/Snow Stakes
I've made my own snow anchors like this out of aluminum, never titanium, although they were about 50% larger. At least for those, I felt like the holes were very important. Roger said that the ...

In Gear Deals » Titanium Sand/Snow Stakes
March 23, 9:22pm

Re: Rainier Gear List - WITH PHOTOS!
You might be able to get by with the small cook pot for snow melting, but it won't be very efficient. The smallest snow melting pot that I've ever used was 2L. For a stove platform, you wan...

In Gear Lists » Rainier Gear List - WITH PHOTOS!
March 23, 1:55pm

Re: Cutting Large Pieces of Fabric
I did not have a large cutting surface/table, so I got a very large empty cardboard box and opened it up. When laid out on my living room carpet, I can use a rotary cutter or scissors. For smaller ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Cutting Large Pieces of Fabric
March 23, 1:24pm

Re: Pinnacles National Park - best trails/hikes?
There are only two approaches, one from the west and the main one from the east, so you have access to the High Peaks Trail from either side. Although there is some normal trail, there are also som...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Pinnacles National Park - best trails/hikes?
March 23, 12:52pm

Re: Day hikes Yellowstone
There are dayhike trail suggestions at the Yellowstone National Park web site. In some cases, there are rough maps as well. You might want to think about how many cans of bear spray are needed, per...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Day hikes Yellowstone
March 23, 12:21pm

Re: Water purification alternatives?
It seems like this same question gets asked over and over again, and the answers don't change. You really need to get a handle on what kind of water risks you are going to run into. For example...

In GEAR » Water purification alternatives?
March 23, 9:52am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Making Goretex gaiters using material scavenged from USMC Goretex shell pants?
Heavier fabric is common in gaiters used by cross country skiers, because you have things whizzing by at faster speeds, plus metal ski edges in close proximity. I use thin short gaiters only for...

In Make Your Own Gear » Making Goretex gaiters using material scavenged from USMC Goretex shell pants?
March 22, 5:45pm

Re: Re: Making Goretex gaiters using material scavenged from USMC Goretex shell pants?
That shape looks like the OR gaiters that I've skied in for years, except for three things. One is that the OR gaiters have 1" wide strips of velcro in place of the zipper halves. Second i...

In Make Your Own Gear » Making Goretex gaiters using material scavenged from USMC Goretex shell pants?
March 22, 5:16pm

Re: Sleeping with food
Some people seek out bear country. Bears can be quite photogenic, so that's where the photographers go. Others avoid bear country. Bears can be quite troublesome, pesky, and downright awful ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Sleeping Wth Your Food in Black Bear Country
March 22, 1:27am

All Reader Reviews by Bob Gross

Bob Gross has posted no reviews.