BPL Community Profile

Scott Bentz (scottbentz) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I live in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. I can get to a lot of nice hiking areas right from my street or travel for 15 minutes to higher elevations in the Angeles National Forrest. I started packing again with my sons in their Boy Scout troop. I was definitely not light that first trip 6 years ago and have been reducing my pack weight ever since. I mainly pack a few times a year in the Eastern and Western Sierras.
My PDF Gear ListNorth Lake South Lake 2012

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott Bentz

Showing 201 - 210 of 434 | Page: 1 ...12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ...44

Forum » Thread

Space
Evan, Since I rented a Bearicade and would not get it until a few days before I left I wanted to be sure I would have room. I went to the lumber yard and bout a Sono-tube, or Quick-tube, etc. Th...

In GEAR » GG Mariposa Plus vs. ULA Ohm for PCT
March 03, 4:20pm

Y Strap and Canister
I find that the best way to carry a canister in the GG Mariposa Plus is right inside the pack vertically. If you are carrying a low base load you will have plenty of room for it inside. The Y strap...

In GEAR » GG Mariposa Plus vs. ULA Ohm for PCT
March 03, 12:57pm

Tarp/Bivy vs. Tent
I have a Contrail, Dbl. Rainbow, SpinnTwinn, The One and a Gatewood Cape. I now find myself using a bivy with the Gatewood. I hike in the Sierras and Southern California mostly. Most nights are dry...

In GEAR » Poll: Tarp/Bivy vs. Tent
February 23, 5:57pm

T2 for 2
One thing I teach my scouts is that a 3.8 lb. tent is not that heavy when shared with 2. We take everything out of the stuff sack and then just divide by 2. If you like to use a double wall tent an...

In Editor's Roundtable » REI Quarter Dome T2 Tent Review
February 17, 11:50am

PCT
Yes. However, while on our JMT hike this year we met 2 guys from the south that had completed the AT. One was an electrical engineer. The other was married with a kid. What were they doing on th...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Should I walk the PCT this year?
February 11, 5:02pm

Trail Runners
"I use boots, always. When the majority of NBA players use low top shoes I might change my mind about ankle support, but until then..." Yes, but they are wearing athletic shoes, no...

In GEAR » Trail runners or boots for the Sierras?
February 11, 4:55pm

Been there, done that
Wow. I remember the first trip I took with my kids troop. I borrowed a 7lb. pack that was really neat. It had a beautiful hip belt, pockets, straps, space, heavy fabric, etc. I think I went out wit...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » [Q] How to lighten my old pack with scouts
February 02, 12:40pm

Best of 2009
2009: GVP Caldera Cone with Fosters. Received as a Christmas gift no less! I already have my 2010 (I think): Gossamer Gear Murmur. I will be close to 5 lbs. base this weekend for an overni...

In GEAR » Your best gear of 2009
January 28, 6:34pm

Dust and Mules
My understanding is that the JMT was designed so that pack mules could cover every part of the trail. It is amazing sometimes to see those animals coming up over a pass, like Glen Pass. Then again,...

In Gear Lists » Help with clothes list for JMT
January 26, 10:55am

So. Cal Storms
Looks like rain up till 7,000 ft. plus. This will put a damper on the new snow. I'm still waiting to use my season pass at Mt. Waterman. Still be best of the locals but the Station Fire has rea...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » So Cal Hikers - San Jacinto Update
January 25, 5:14pm

All Reader Reviews by Scott Bentz

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

MSR MIOX
We used a MSR Miox on a trip with 9 people (Scouts). We got very spotty results and ended up playing with the unit more than we wanted. It seemed like the perfect solution but was not worth the wait. ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 03, 5:04pm