Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Roman Dial (romandial) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale packrafting NZ
About Me A middle aged man, married, fattening up.
CityAnchorage
StateAlaska
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roman Dial

Showing 201 - 210 of 210 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Forum » Thread

Bill's gear and trip
Bill, Your gear and trip are every cool. Good on you for sharing your innovations. Inspiring.

In Gear Lists » Sub 2-lb October Hike
October 17, 11:16pm

ULA axe length
PS the longer length is better as a walking staff than the short ones.

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Care & Feeding of a ULA Helix Ice Axe
October 17, 10:44pm

Trekking poles and rocks
That ULA axe looked pretty good on-line so I bought one to add to a collection of lightweight axes. There seem to be two philosophies to lightweight travel: the leave it out and make do with wha...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Care & Feeding of a ULA Helix Ice Axe
October 17, 10:42pm

8 mm Spectra
Last yar I was introduced to 8 mm Dyneema (I think) on a tree climbing trip to Borneo. We were in remote areas and so went light. A typical 600 foot rope for tree climbing fills an expedition p...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » curiosity kills the cat: rappelling off a thin cord
October 17, 9:58pm

food bars
As far as I am concerned, the best bars are good old fashioned "candy bars". Perhaps this article could benefit from a control: a snickers, mars, or maybe cadbury milk chocolate for us to get every...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Energy Bars
April 13, 12:04am

How far how fast?
I have been playing around with my formula for how heavy, how far, how fast. And I am sticking by it, although judged by the comments nobody cares, but I sure do appreciate this opportunity to dump...

In Post-Trip Reports » Trips & Trip Reports (LEGACY POSTS FROM OLD FORUMS)
November 12, 9:42pm

Packrafting gear
John, There are three main uses of packrafts for me: wilderness trips, "sport boating", and adventure races. During adventure races I have no pad. I use the same one Alpacka advocates, and ...

In Gear Lists » User Gear Lists (LEGACY POSTS FROM OLD FORUMS)
November 12, 9:11pm

Speed hiking the CT
In the early 80's I discovered that each additional pound on my back reduced my maximum distance traveled by about one mile per day. Ignoring the fact that I got stronger as I went and that my pack...

In Post-Trip Reports » Trips & Trip Reports (LEGACY POSTS FROM OLD FORUMS)
November 03, 10:57pm

Sat Phones vs EPIRBS etc
Curious what people here in this forum thinak about the pros and cons of sat phones vs. EPRBS?

In Editor's Roundtable » Personal Locator Beacons & Other Wireless Technologies for Backcountry Travel?
November 03, 10:04pm

Packrafting gear
I'd like to make a comment on the packrafting gear list, although this particuar thread is about speed-hiking the colorado trail. My background is varied, but throughout my various adventures I...

In Gear Lists » User Gear Lists (LEGACY POSTS FROM OLD FORUMS)
November 02, 1:41am

All Reader Reviews by Roman Dial

Roman Dial has posted no reviews.