BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 201 - 210 of 641 | Page: 1 ...12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ...65

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Syn/down sleep system
Tim at Enlightened Equipment recently responded to a question I posed about using two quilts in winter instead of one. His advice was to put the lower rated quilt on top (i.e., a 40 degree) and th...

In GEAR » Syn/down sleep system
January 25, 12:45pm

Size?
What size please?

In Gear Swap » FS: R1 Hoody
January 24, 7:03pm

Shorter Trips
Fortunately my job allows me to work from home and live where I want (Colorado). That allows me to be in wilderness within 90 minutes. Having said that work and family constraints don't allow...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How often do you hike or backpack?
January 24, 8:31am

Re: Australia's Great South Coast Walk
Wow, beautiful pictures Amy! I always imagine camping on the beach to be a dreadful with sand getting into everything (especially if windy). Was that the case? Any other things you were glad...

In Post-Trip Reports » 35 Days in New South Wales, Australia
January 23, 4:46pm

Re: WTB Gossamergear Tarp
Do you mean the SpinnTwinn?

In Gear Swap » WTB Gossamergear Tarp
January 22, 5:11pm

Re: Anybody have experience with the Golite Roan-Plateau-800-Fill-Down-Hooded-Parka
I didn't like the fit of the turtle collar. IMO a turtle collar in a Parka should come up high enough to fit over your chin/mouth. The Roan had the fit on that part off so that I had to go up...

In GEAR » Anybody have experience with the Golite Roan-Plateau-800-Fill-Down-Hooded-Parka
January 21, 8:32pm

GG SitLight
Two things, 1] Stiff pad for a "Frame". In my GoLite Jam backpack I pulled out the pad that came with it and replaced with the Gossamer Gear SitLight pad which is more stiff and does...

In GEAR » Preferred sleeping p[ad for forming framless pack.
January 17, 8:46am

Don't cut corners on your sleep system
Have to agree with the previous poster that Enlightened Equipment is a no brainer for getting a high quality quilt for a very reasonable price. To me, a quality sleep system isn't the place to...

In GEAR » making use of an old bag, help please.
January 15, 4:54pm

Combining Quilts to boost warmth
I have seen a post or two from people that have combined quilts to boost warmth. I am thinking of doing something similar with a 40 degree and a 20 degree quilt that combined inside a Bivy would g...

In GEAR » Combining Quilts to boost warmth
January 14, 10:06pm

Re: Sleep System
I like that system Kevin. I have been debating the merits of investing in a dedicated winter bag and it seems it would be just as effective both from cost and function to invest in a second quilt ...

In Multiple Use Gear » 4 season mummy bag
January 14, 9:20am

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm