BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 201 - 210 of 5643 | Page: 1 ...12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ...565

Forum » Thread

Pretty hard to beat
the Montbell Dynamos for weight, wind resistance, and compactness. I mention wind resistance because breathability is far less important in pants than in a wind shirt, at least for me. But it is ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Wind Pants not as popular as wind shirt?
January 07, 4:59pm

Re: I say let's decide on a general consensus of Ultralight definitions and terms.
"Nick Gatel, you're a gentleman and a scholar." Not to mention a divine comedian, deserving of a place in the pantheon of worthies. As Roger said, ROTFLMAO.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » I say let's decide on a general consensus of Ultralight definitions and terms.
January 06, 6:04pm

Re: Update
"At 800 yet per tip this is very reasonable. So now I will be in trekking pole nirvana" All's well that ends well. ;)

In GEAR » Locus Gear
January 05, 8:24pm

Re: No need for consensus?
"Me noob, me learning, rethinking. 'Old' people bored with recurrent topic? Comes with ageing." Old people come to religion, develop fascination with angels, naturally want t...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » I say let's decide on a general consensus of Ultralight definitions and terms.
January 05, 5:20pm

Re: I thought it was already decided.
"And the idea that big people should get some sort of handicap speaks volumes to the fact that these titles are completely ridiculous and often used for nothing but cyber backpacking and onlin...

January 05, 5:09pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: @Mark re CP3 tip repair
"If he means you can't replace the tips wit leki/bd replacement tips then yeah, that is fine. Like I said the measurements are off by at least 0.5 mm. But if he is saying (as they told me ...

In GEAR » Locus Gear
January 05, 4:56pm

Re: Re: @Mark re CP3 tip repair
"For now the company does not act motivated at all on this issue which is the one (a big one) down side to Locus gear. I go through a pair of tips in the summer in about 6 months if I'm do...

In GEAR » Locus Gear
January 04, 8:05pm

Re: Some options:
"Montane Minimus Smock -awesome, but runs very small" I can wholeheartedly endorse this one for Sierra 3 season use. I gave it a full season trial, including one real doozy of a rains...

In GEAR » 2014 Rain Shell Advice (SOTM maybe?)
January 04, 7:49pm

Re: Re: Best baseplate compass
"I don't think there is ever a 'best' compass. But few good navigators need anything more than the most basic of models, as shown here." +1 to the Silva on the right. Been...

In GEAR » Best baseplate compass
January 01, 8:49pm

Re: Re: Re: Long bone growth and nasty feet
"There are lots of soft tissues in feet. With mine, the dimensions come and go with the seasons, and whether my body weight is going up or down." And whether or not you remember to tri...

In Philosophy & Technique » Long distance thru hikes and feet growth / swelling
December 31, 4:26pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm