BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 201 - 210 of 5284 | Page: 1 ...12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ...529

Forum » Thread

Repair Kit?
Small piece of duct tape. A patch if I bring an air mattress.

In GEAR » Your Repair Kit Contents
January 07, 12:00pm

"This is BPL, where's the BPing Gear?"
This is a question I might have asked up until a year or two ago. But I have learned that many folks here, like me, have other outdoor interests. This is good, because who wants to talk to backpack...

In Editor's Roundtable » 2013 Staff Picks
January 07, 11:55am

Re: Christmas gear
The important people in my life got MountainGoat Hats -- Thanks, Kat! My wife also got 4 titanium straws for the camper. I got no gear, because I don't need any new stuff.

In GEAR » Interesting Gear under the Tree for You or Significant Others?
January 07, 11:28am

Re: Consensus
Conversations like this are always good. As a species we measure things and that is how we communicate. It is ironic that Roger, the scientist, doesn't want to categorize weight classifications...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » I say let's decide on a general consensus of Ultralight definitions and terms.
January 07, 11:22am

Re: Exploring the Canyon of the Little Colorado
Matt, What a wonderful trip report. Be careful, the area is starting to cause an addiction :) Regarding your question about the rock art. We had a conversation here on BPL a couple years ago....

In Post-Trip Reports » Exploring the Canyon of the Little Colorado
January 07, 11:08am

Re: Questions about heel-to-toe drop in footwear
Heel-toe drop isn't going to cause a lot of problems for most people. It is more of a minimalist philosophy. What matters for most is a proper fitting shoe. To be honest, if your feet are...

In GEAR » Questions about heel-to-toe drop in footwear
January 06, 1:45pm

Gear and Ethics
Do we want to fill our landfills with disposable O2 and DriDucks garments? For precisely this reason, decades ago many of us did not use a tube tent. For more rambling on about rain gear... ...

In GEAR » Chasing breathability an exercise in futility?
January 06, 12:11pm

Re: I say let's decide on a general consensus of Ultralight definitions and terms.
Cesar, Valiant effort to gain Internet consensus… a daunting task at best. And to think that you are trying to gain agreement on two different subjects; Weights & Measures and Standardized...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » I say let's decide on a general consensus of Ultralight definitions and terms.
January 06, 11:50am

Re: After the forest fires, any photos?
"Has anyone come across recent photos from inside the deep woods burn forbidden zone?" And risk being picked up by the NSA?

In Pre-Trip Planning » SoCal, Idyllwild, PCT, Palm Springs, San Bernardino National Forest
December 19, 2:24pm

Re: Re: Re: Unsupported/Unresupplied/Thru-Hikes
"Now what is your opinion on "clothes-lining" rude mountain bikers." Thread drift... Environmentalism or Conservationism

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Longest ultraight BP w/o replenishing?
December 19, 1:51pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am