Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 201 - 210 of 5800 | Page: 1 ...12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ...580

Forum » Thread

Re: Where do you get your gear news?
I don't. If I need a specific piece of gear to fill a need then I research. Otherwise, gear has become boring ;)

In GEAR » Where do you get your gear news?
March 30, 1:05pm

Re: Sub 5 pound - does it really matter?
Of course it matters, it must be the goal of all backpackers! Just kidding. I guess I am an aging backpacker. For me, to do the hikes I want, it has been important to keep my body weight dow...

In Philosophy & Technique » Sub 5 pound - does it really matter?
March 29, 3:35pm

Re: Need advice redesigning my Bivvy
Former long time poncho/tarp and bivy user/advocate. I no longer use a bivy. IMO, if you need to supplement your shelter with a bivy, then your shelter is inadequate. You (and me) are tryin...

In Make Your Own Gear » Need advice redesigning my Bivvy
March 29, 12:09pm

Re: Re: Re: Alaskans are like that.
I wonder if chemical dependency has anything to do with it?

In Philosophy & Technique » SPOT Celebrates 1,000 Rescues in Canada
March 27, 2:16pm

Re: Lightweight shelter for two in desert
I have hiked a couple times in the desert :) I usually just use a tarp or (mostly a Hexamid), but they do not meet your requirements as stated. For windy times (especially in the spring), I b...

In GEAR » Lightweight shelter for two in desert
March 27, 2:12pm

Re: Hacking Wool Slacks?
Years ago many of us wore wool trousers especially in winter. I ocassionally still wear them. You can get military surplus versions that are heavy, durable and scratchy. I think Filson still makes ...

In Multiple Use Gear » Hacking Wool Slacks?
March 27, 7:38am

Re: Good lightweight pack for about 30lb?
Just because a manufacturer states a pack can carry xx pounds or comfortably carry yy pounds doesn't mean it is true. If 10 people tell you a pack comfortly carries xx pounds, it is easy to fin...

In GEAR » Good lightweight pack for about 30lb?
March 27, 7:20am

Re: outdoorgearlab
The picture in the review looks like the earlier model. The newer ones have a flap over the chest pocket. I have a newer version, which I wear when walking the dog in windy weather and when cam...

In Gear Deals » Patagonia Houdini for $48.83 at REI
March 26, 3:29pm

Re: Breathable vs Wind blocking
With the new Houdini you might as well use a non-breathable rain jacket ;)

In Gear Deals » Patagonia Houdini for $48.83 at REI
March 25, 11:25pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: measuring USB power bank capacity
Ha! Marketing 101 Confuse 'em with facts. Sorta like my SUV. It can tow 9,200 lbs... But with only a 150lb driver and NOTHING else inside the SUV!

In GEAR » measuring USB power bank capacity
March 25, 11:23pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am