BPL Community Profile

Mark Larson (mlarson) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southeast USA
About Me Lifelong student and nerd in general, currently working on the web. I have a bias for higher mileage and longer days on the trail. Most of my hikes are on the border of SUL & UL; I still weigh everything, but pretty much stopped using spreadsheets. I read all the time, blog less, and run a good bit.
CityAtlanta
StateGA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.mlarson.org

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mark Larson

Showing 201 - 210 of 338 | Page: 1 ...12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ...34

Forum » Thread

Re: Bags
I don't like MH's Phantom fabric. It's feels kind of clammy and doesn't seem to breathe very well. I'd go with the WM or Marmot. -Mark

In GEAR » Marmot Helium v. Mountain Hardwear Phantom 15*
March 10, 5:41am

Re: where to sacrifice, tarp length or width?
Here's a third vote for length. I'm on the taller end, approaching 6'. I like a tarp that's similar to my own proportions, like a 8.5-9.5 footer. -Mark

In GEAR » where to sacrifice, tarp length or width?
March 08, 4:12pm

Re: Re: Re: LuxuryLite Extreme-Lite Cot (16 oz... 11 oz packed)
How is the cot for insulation value? Does it need a supplement with a Thinlight or similar, or is it 3-season worthy as-is? I've hammocked and grounded, but never cotted, so just wondering how cool...

In GEAR » LuxuryLite Extreme-Lite Cot (16 oz... 11 oz packed)
March 01, 4:16pm

Re: Re: What scale do you use?
I use a Pelouze, model SP5. Nothing special, it cost about $30 at a local Office Depot, I think. It measures as fine as whole grams or tenths of an ounce, in the weight range as Vick described. I'v...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What scale do you use?
February 26, 8:41pm

Re: What Will You Buy With Your REI Dividend
I wish I could use my dividend at other stores :] I ended up going with the Marmot Ion in the Outlet store. From MSRP $100 to practically "free"... just took a little patience. -Mark

In GEAR » What will you buy with your REI Dividend?
February 26, 8:42am

Re: Montrail Masai...
To my eyes and hands, the new Odyssey model looks and feels most similar to the Masai. Same meshy feeling, similar heel, a presumably cushier ride. The Highlander also looks great and a couple oun...

In GEAR » Montrail Masai...
February 21, 7:22pm

Re: Mark
I did the same thing. Even though it was the middle of March, the gnats were out in full force. I was using a flat tarp without my headnet, so I had to bury myself in the sleeping bag. Some mistake...

In GEAR » Width of Tarptent Rainbow
February 21, 7:10pm

Re: Rainbow
Jeffrey. I've spent some time on Cumberland, Jekyll, and St. Simons before--which island[s] are you heading to? My Cumberland trip was a grey, rainy mess. Distance in time makes the memories fonder...

In GEAR » Width of Tarptent Rainbow
February 21, 6:12pm

Re: Re: LuxuryLite or ULA Catalyst
No personal experiences, but this thread on whiteblaze.net has some good commentary. -Mark

In GEAR » LuxuryLite or ULA Catalyst
February 20, 9:11pm

Re: Infinity
I also like the Infinity. It's a very comfortable carry. It's my pack for those times I'll have a heavier load for casual trips. The rear pockets took me a while to get used to, with the two narrow...

In GEAR » Golite Infinity and Intuition Packs
February 20, 8:33pm

All Reader Reviews by Mark Larson

Showing 1 - 10 of 18 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

GoLite Virga
Used this one on the AT this summer. My particular model has 1 large pocket on the right-hand side. I accidentally purchased a Small @ 8.1oz, but it ended up working out just fine for size [5'11, ...

In Clothing - Raingear
July 18, 8:18am

Montrail Masai
I like the Masai quite a bit. They don't wear as well as many other shoes. The toe rubber and seams started to flake out around the 300-mile mark, but surprisingly the fabric itself showed very li...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
June 01, 10:26am

Gossamer Gear Miniposa
I've put about 1000 miles on this pack, and so far it has easily displaced my GoLite Jam as my go-to pack. And I really love my Jam. I had the new Miniposa mailed to me in the middle of a long ...

In Backpacks - Frameless
May 14, 9:29am

Inov8 Flyroc 310
The Flyrocs are quite good. The deep-lugged soles make for excellent grip. I like that the heel isn't significantly raised, so you the shoes feel nice and close to the ground. The open mesh lets some ...

July 02, 9:07am

Evernew Nonstick Titanium 0.9 L Pot
This pot has great dimensions. Wide base, but not too shallow. Also wide enough to fit a trimmed spoon inside with my entire kitchen, and still close completely. I like the volume for meals on long-te...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 16, 11:19am

Gatorade Bottle
I'll put a plug in the for the Gatorade Endurance bottles in particular. They are a little more narrow and taller than the standard squatty bottles, so they fit more easily in side pockets. 1L/34oz ca...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
November 04, 3:05am

Salomon Tech Amhibian
This shoe is almost brilliant. I love the mesh, and the thin tongue is very comfortable. The footbed is probably the most supportive and comfortable I've ever used--no sore spots or aches. My bones an...

November 04, 3:00am

U.S. Department of Defense MRE Spoon
Meals-ready-to-eat come with great spoons, and some food, too. I'm not sure who the manufacturer is or where to find them commercially. The spoons have a generous length, long to reach the bottom o...

In Cookware - Other
November 04, 2:49am

Montane Featherlite
A great, great windshirt, and I've been really surprised by its inclement weather performance. I've been on brief runs [20-40 minutes] in the rain with the Featherlite. While it eventually wets out an...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
November 04, 2:40am

Equinox Silnylon Poncho
This is a review of the non-extended version, which I've really grown to like. Just a bit over 7oz, about 7.75 feet long, and a bargain at $40-50. I have had no problems with durability; snags on tree...

In Clothing - Raingear
November 04, 2:29am