BPL Community Profile

Mike Clelland (mikeclelland) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale The Tetons (via Idaho)
About Me I divide my time between doing cartoon drawings at my desk in Idaho, and sleeping outside in the mountains. A few years back Don Ladagan called me up and asked me to draw instructional cartoons for his excellent book LIGHTEN UP! He was quite an inspiration, and I embraced his simple teachings. From that point on I became a weirdo zealot for a lighter backpack. In 2005 I spearheaded the very successful lightweight program at the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS). Presently I’m working at Backpackinglight’s Wilderness Trekking School.
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://littleboingmarks.blogspot.com/
My PDF Gear List8 pound base weight

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mike Clelland

Showing 201 - 210 of 926 | Page: 1 ...12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ...93

Forum » Thread

Some items are made from trash!
A mini-bic weighs 0.4 oz, and a paper book of matches (in a tiny zip-lock) weighs 0.1 oz. So for 1/2 oz you have a tried and true lighter AND a back up. - A puffy insulation layer is lighter ...

In Gear Lists » Please help me move from 1-season to 3-season
March 17, 7:53pm

ditch your big boots!
Curtis wrote: ========== "I'm not quite ready to leave my boots behind in favor of thin socks and trail runners that can dry out on the trail." . Mike replies: ========= Wha...

In Gear Lists » Now for the hard part-moving below 10 lbs for 6 days in Yellowstone, August 20
March 17, 12:48pm

August is magical!
I live right near yellowstone, and I've spent a LOT of time there. And August is magical! ==== Stuff sack for Sleeping bag --- NIX --- Stuff sack-Clothing --- NIX --- Bear bag --- N...

In Gear Lists » Now for the hard part-moving below 10 lbs for 6 days in Yellowstone, August 20
March 17, 12:41pm

insights / feedback
insights & feedback =========== The osprey pack is pretty heavy, 40 oz is a lot. Plenty of lighter options. A goLit JAM (with some trimming) is HALF the weight. 8 oz for a cook-set? What...

In Gear Lists » My Summer List
March 17, 11:41am

insights / feedback
Here's a point by point list of items: ========================= Tarp-tent Rain-shadow 2 58.6 ----- REPLACE with a LIGHTER ITEM. A tarp is much lighter, 10 oz max. You could add a bivy-sa...

March 15, 11:51am

Your backpack weighs 84 ounces!
Derek, Your base weight before food comes in at over 25 pounds. This is heavy, even by "traditional" standards. This is a lightweight backpacking forum, and it would be difficult to...

March 14, 11:44pm

insights & feedback
You didn't share where or how you plan to use this list, making it pretty hard to offer any insights. I started a thread titled: Suggested GEAR LIST ETIQUETTE - LINK - http://www.bac...

In Gear Lists » Comfortable LW gear list < 10.5 lbs
March 13, 7:10pm

insights & feedback
marmot sawtooth w/sea line stuff sack 45.9 ----------- Yikes, this is porky! This has gotta be the first thing you revize, there are LOTS of lighter options. smartwool wool longsleeve 9.7 ------...

In Gear Lists » Gear List for Hackberry - Paria Utah Loop, March 21st
March 12, 4:26pm

follow up
Here's my advice. The important thing is NOT to take more food than you will NEED. Food weight should be scrutinized just like any other thing in your backpack. If you are a diabetic or ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Food Planning Using Pounds Per Person Per Day
March 10, 7:49pm

running out of food
Reply to Roger: ============ About the very real issues surrounding hypoglycemia and diabetes, I feel that I addressed (though not directly) the individual metabolism of the prospective hiker. ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Food Planning Using Pounds Per Person Per Day
March 09, 8:36am

All Reader Reviews by Mike Clelland

Showing 1 - 10 of 32 | Page: 1 2 3 4

Review

Category

Leatherman Juice S2 Multitool
4.3 ounces? Uhhhg!

In Miscellaneous Products
March 28, 10:01am

Hefty Trash Compactor Bag as LINER BAG
Hefty Trash Compactor Bags 18 Gal. (68 L) Size 2 Ft. 1 3/4 x...

November 03, 8:34am

Lara Bars Cherry Pie
A perfect Bar.

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
April 10, 7:14pm

Patagonia DAS Parka
I am chiming in and giving the DAS a low grade of 3. It is NOT a lightweight piece of gear! It's a porker, and should be refered to as such on the BPL site. 29 ounces? Thats 1 pound 13 ounce...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
March 27, 9:08am

Patagonia Lightweight Sun Hoody
This is a nice layer, but expensive. It doesn't get a 5 because of its high price. It's basically lightweight long underwear, but with a hood. The fabric is a little bit slippery and stretc...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
March 21, 8:38pm

Hardware store SINGLE EDGE RAZOR BLADE
The standard hardware store little single edge razor blade is the simplest and lightest thing I've found - ever. Nice and sharp, easy to use - and LIGHT! They weigh 0.1 ounces! Buy a little...

March 15, 9:09am

Javette Coffee
I think these are very good. Not quite as good as fresh brewed - but a good substitute. That's why it gets a 4 and not a 5. Superior (even if only a little) to Java Juice. Here's how I thin...

February 13, 11:21am

Petzl e+LITE
Also - THe RED light option is really nice. I find I use it a lot to save batteries. It works great for ALMOST any purpose in the dark. Go ahead and try using it exclusivly. The red light really w...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
November 29, 9:43am

GoLite Hut 1
I've used the GoLite Hut 2 (a little bigger) in the winter. It's fine. It takes a little extra time to adjust it so it's nice and tight. Ryan - hey, give a review after you get out o...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 29, 9:40am

GU Energy Gel
Hey - Make yer own in bulk. Cheeep and works great. HOMEMADE GOO ============= I've been using a form of homemade sports gel, and it's been really successful - and I have a circle o...

November 29, 9:37am