BPL Community Profile

Hoot Filsinger (filsinger) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest
About Me Started backpacking in 1968 with my first and only Kelty Pack. Have enjoyed many adventures in Los Padres, Sierra Nevada, Cascades, and coastal hiking in the Pacific Northwest.Colin Fletcher was my mentor in my youth and I now enjoy the kind and knowledgeable folks at BPL.
CityCrescent City
StateCA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Hoot Filsinger

Showing 201 - 210 of 276 | Page: 1 ...9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Forum » Thread

Re: FS: Mens XL shorts and pants. TNF, REI, Ex Officio
PM sent

In Gear Swap » FS: Mens XL shorts and pants. TNF, REI, Ex Officio
June 29, 12:57pm

Re: re: WM bag
This bag is the same as the "Alder" on WM website. This is a very roomy bag with a full zipper. Bill

In Gear Swap » Closet Cleaning - Sleeping
June 19, 10:18pm

best coffee mug
http://www.peak62.com/search/itemno/75232/# GSI Outdoors Insulated Infinity Mug - 17 oz. This is my best find. Multi-use for me as a bowl, mug, treat water with steripen, and I can use it as ...

In GEAR » Lightest 8 oz cup for coffee?
June 14, 7:08pm

Re: Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter
Hey Ken, I just put up a review with pics here: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews?forum_thread_id=48761&cat=Hydration%20%2D%20Water%20Treatm...

In GEAR » Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter
June 04, 4:26pm

Re: Where to backpack in Nor Cal? Too much snow in the Sierras!
Jay, Humboldt Redwoods State Park has a few trail camps with easy access. These are very private and scenic. http://humboldtredwoods.org/trail_camps http://www.miguelvieira.org/rememberede...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Where to backpack in Nor Cal? Too much snow in the Sierras!
June 03, 2:31pm

Re: Re: Jeremiah Johnson 1972
Thruhiker quote: Bear Claw Chris Lapp: You've come far pilgrim. Jeremiah Johnson: Feels like far. Bear Claw Chris Lapp: Were it worth the trouble? Jeremiah Johnson: What trouble? Bill

In Chaff » Jeremiah Johnson 1972
May 27, 5:40pm

Fine pics
Hey Matty, You have a fine photographic eye for the details! Photography forces us to look closer at everything in nature and hence our enjoyment level goes up. I too prefer the log shimmy metho...

In Post-Trip Reports » Old Loggers Path, Central PA, April 21-23
May 24, 9:07pm

curious about weight
The website states it weighs .3 lbs. Is that accurate? Bill

In Gear Swap » WTB-Gravity Filter
May 18, 5:59pm

ID for your mystery plant
Vanilla Leaf Scientific name: Achlys triphylla Description As a Northwest native herbaceous groundcover, Vanilla Leaf is best known for the vanilla smell of its dried leaves during the winte...

In Post-Trip Reports » 24: Enchanted Valley
May 15, 11:50am

Thinking about ordering another to make a sleeping hoodie
The nylon seems durable but the down fill is not very puffy. Perfect to keep in the back of the truck or shop. I think you could sew a nice hoodie from an xl. Bill

In Gear Deals » Lands End 600fill Down Vest $13.00 !!!
April 25, 7:36pm

All Reader Reviews by Hoot Filsinger

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Bearpaw Wilderness Designs company
John at Bearpaw was terrific to work with. He listened to my needs and designed a cuben fiber structure similar to the cub den but with slight mods to fit my big boy size. He backs his warranty, send...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
March 27, 12:23am

Saywer Squeeze Filtration System
SP131- Sawyer Squeeze Filter – multiple capacity The NEW Sawyer Squeeze Filter is the lightest and most versatile filtration system on the market. With a total field weight of 3 ounces, it is extr...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 03, 7:58pm

Tarptent Contrail
I used the Contrail in the Cascades and was impressed with the design and weight. The bug net paid for itself the first two nights. I stayed dry in light rain and moderate wind and had very little con...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
March 11, 11:48pm