BPL Community Profile

Brian Lewis (brianle) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Pacific NW
About Me Thru-hiked the PCT in 2008 NOBO, the AT in 2010 NOBO, and the CDT in 2011 SOBO.
http://postholer.com/brianle
CityBellevue
StateWA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListBrian Lewis (Gadget) AT NOBO 2010 Gearlist --- late Feb start

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Brian Lewis

Showing 201 - 210 of 684 | Page: 1 ...12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ...69

Forum » Thread

skills
My impression is that the O.P. is looking for specific skills more than things like "be mentally tough" and the like ... ? As Christine said, one of the specific skills you need is the...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Critical Skills for PCT?
March 01, 1:32pm

Post Thru-Hike - What Was Your Re-entry Experience Like?
From talking to a lot of folks, this varies a great deal. Factors include age, financial security (or lack of it), support and understanding from friends and relatives and collegues (or lack of it...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Post Thru-Hike - What Was Your Re-entry Experience Like?
February 26, 12:31pm

PNW spiders, snakes
"Spiders and other crawlies maybe, but flying bugs are the real issue." Ditto that. But stay away from the two month window starting roughly mid-June or so and you're golden with ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » PNW Spiders, snakes, etc with a tarp setup
February 25, 1:26am

ways to sleep better
Hike hard --- being tired helps a lot! :-) If I'm not sleeping I don't worry about it, I can walk pretty well when short on sleep and then likely I'll sleep well the next night. ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Ways to sleep better
February 25, 1:19am

CDT section
I hiked the CDT last year, so this is somewhat fresh in my mind still. The Winds are beautiful. Populated, for the CDT, but worth going through. Pretty rocky terrain, don't expect to do hi...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » CDT/Rockies Section Hike
February 24, 12:43pm

What electronic device needs recharging?
Smartphone is pretty much the only thing for me to consider in this regard. It's typically my camera and GPS and book reader and ... I did carry a separate GPS last year, but lithium AA bac...

In GEAR » Charging electronics
February 23, 11:53am

mariposa+ vs. circuit
Serendipitously, I used a Mariposa+ on the PCT, swapped from that to a Circuit on the AT in 2010. I ordered the Circuit from one trail town, picked it up at another trail town and in the grass nex...

In GEAR » Mariposa+/Circuit
February 23, 11:42am

zero day gear
A credit card and some cash, plus lightweight shorts and t-shirt to wear while my clothes are in the washing machine. Charging cord for my cell phone. I think we have a different idea of *wher...

In GEAR » Zero day gear....
February 22, 12:06am

Shoe Life
Roger said: "But reality is that finding replacement joggers of a 4E width in Europe is next to impossible. Trust me, I have searched. So I make sure I take reasonably robust-looking jogge...

In GEAR » Gear: What breaks when and why?
February 20, 10:07am

shoe wear
"I take a fairly new pair of New Balance joggers to Europe each time, and they alsways last the full 2 months, with some km left at the end." I suggest that the better metric might be ...

In GEAR » Gear: What breaks when and why?
February 19, 7:26pm

All Reader Reviews by Brian Lewis

Showing 1 - 10 of 12 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Ursack Minor
The "Ursack Minor" is quite distinct from the traditional Ursack, in that it's not meant to be bear proof (or "resistant" or whatever). Instead, Ursack says it's "for...

In Miscellaneous Products
August 10, 9:05am

Golite Force
I use Golite shoes because the toe-box is shaped a lot more like the front of an actual human foot. More specifically, most trail runners or other shoes give me problems due to bunionettes (little to...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 10, 8:45am

Montbell Thermawrap jacket
For 3-season backpacking, my thermawrap jacket is my sole insulation layer, coupled in some limited cases with a thermawrap vest. It's just a fantastic piece of clothing in terms of both weight ...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
August 10, 8:23am

Montbell Thermawrap Vest
I have a size medium Thermawrap jacket and a size large Thermawrap vest; I probably should have reversed those to be able to layer the vest under the jacket rather than over, but it actually works fin...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
August 10, 8:15am

Thermarest Neo-Air
Like Dylan Carlson, I also used a Neo-Air (size regular for me) on a thru-hike. My thru-hike was of the Appalachian Trail, starting in late February (2010), so a lot of snow and cold weather in the f...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
August 10, 8:02am

REI REI Peak UL Compact Hiking Poles
I too had something over 3000 miles on my pair --- the majority of that thru-hiking the PCT in 2008 plus a variety of much shorter trips. I started my AT thru-hike with them (early in 2010), but just...

In Trekking Poles
August 10, 7:36am

Memory-Map Navigator
This is actually a comparison of two product alternatives for putting topographic software on a Windows Mobile platform smartphone with a true GPS. The 4/5 rating is for one of those, Memory-Map Navi...

In Navigation Gear & Accessories
September 22, 9:55pm

Golite Versa Force
Let me start by saying that my rating of '4' is tentative until I've done more miles in these. But as I found nothing useful in searching for reviews of currently-available Golite footwe...

August 10, 12:25pm

ULA Axis Crampon
I'm hoping to thru-hike the PCT next year, and one of many equipment issues for me was the question of whether to use crampons or not in the Sierras. I also do day hikes in "shoulder" s...

April 12, 12:13pm

Western Mountaineering SummerLite
I agree --- the summerlite is excellent. I frankly don't trust any individual evaluation of a sleeping bag temperature rating (32F in this case); so many things affect this, including not only th...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
March 21, 10:59am