BPL Community Profile

Robert Perkins (rp3957) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale The Sierras
About Me I usually plan 2- 3 weekend trips in the Sierras a year and try to do one 'long' hike a year. I really like the Central part of the Sierras.
CitySparks
StateNevada
CountryUS

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Robert Perkins

Showing 21 - 30 of 484 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...49

Forum » Thread

Any Reveiws On The Ti Goat Ptarmigan Bivy?
Thanks Alex! I have a new Z Packs 20 degree bag I'll be trying out this summer. "any morning wetness on the top of the bag is simply wiped/shaken off and dry by the time the sun hits my e...

In GEAR » Any Reveiws On The Ti Goat Ptarmigan Bivy?
May 15, 12:43pm

I do bring a tarp, but only use it in bad weather. I still want breathable material over my sleeping bag to avoid frost/dew on my sleeping bag and help with any splash up when under a tarp.

May 15, 11:48am

I am on a quest to find a breathable bivy. I love sleeping under the stars, and only use my Hex Solo in bad weather. Last summer I experienced internal condensation with my MLD Superlight bivy for ...

May 14, 7:01pm

Hexamid tarp With beak or without.
With a beak!! I have the Hex Solo with the beak, and it works great as a minimalist shelter, but without the beak would most definitely get some splash in from a good downpour. I get a little aroun...

In GEAR » Hexamid tarp With beak or without.
May 14, 6:52pm

Umbrella Dillemma
Take a long afternoon break! Stick to the early morning and late afternoon hiking in the Sierras and save those hot afternoons for a good river or lake cool down! I find taking a swim in the heat o...

In GEAR » OK umbrella peeps...let me have it!
May 14, 9:03am

SOL Escape Bivy
I tried one of these on for size at my local REI store yesterday because the thought of having a breathable bivy really excited me! While it may work as an emergency bivy or a really warm weather b...

In GEAR » The SOL Escape Bivvy
May 14, 7:55am

WTB E-Vent Bivy Sack
Edit, I posted on the SOL Escape Bivy, not the one the OP mentioned.

In Gear Swap » WTB Event Bivy sack
May 12, 3:35pm

REI HAS THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE ON THE PLANET!
While I'm not necessarily an REI supporter on all of their gear, particularly when it comes to lightweight gear, BUT I have found their customer service to always be very good to excellent. I&#...

In On the Web » REI HAS THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE ON THE PLANET!
April 21, 8:56pm

Shepherds Pass to Whitney?
Christopher, I guess I'll put out a positive vote for Shepherds Pass, with the caveat that I haven't been there since the washout and don't know how hard it is to navigate through. If y...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Shepherds Pass to Whitney?
March 04, 9:14am

Quick Yosemite permit/camping question
Jennifer, if you don't mind starting at an alternate spot, or a minor detour, there are plenty of open spots for the following options: Glacier Point to Iliouette Basin, JMT to Whitney Porta...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Quick Yosemite permit/camping question
February 27, 8:58pm

All Reader Reviews by Robert Perkins

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Zimmerbuilt Half-Dome, modified
I have owned many packs with some features I liked and dis-liked on each one, so I decided to give the custom order pack method a shot. After a less than pleasant experience with Kooka bay, I went int...

In Backpacks - Frameless
June 24, 9:53pm

Osprey Talon 44
I picked up this pack with my REI dividend and have been taking it for a lot of 'test-runs' in the hills and have come to really love it's fit. I have switched between trying out a SMD Swi...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
April 24, 11:23pm

Six Moons Designs 2011 Swift
I have had a chance to do a quick test run of my new Swift pack with pocket hipbelt, and no stays. I am really impressed with how this pack rides! I loaded it up with about 20 pounds and took it for a...

In Backpacks - Frameless
February 09, 8:15pm

KookaBay air mattress
Edit - If I could, I would do two seperate ratings here. The pad would rate a 4, but customer sevice and response time would be a 1. I'll give it an average of 2.5. I got the pad and overall it...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 05, 1:12pm

MSR Mountain Safety Research HyperFlow microfilter
At first I just loved this filter, it had all of the qualities of a good filter; fast pumping, compact, and light. I used it in the Sierra's, in clear water, following the backflushing instruction...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
October 26, 10:32pm