BPL Community Profile

John Whynot (jdw01776) - BPL Guest

My Locale Southeast Texas
About Me Hiking and backpacking (on and off) since 1976, mainly in the northeastern United States.
CityHouston
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Whynot

Showing 21 - 30 of 557 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...56

Forum » Thread

Re: 7 days, 7 teens, 1 van in Washington State - ideas? (not necessarily hiking)
I was also wondering about Spokane. A day hike up the Railroad Grade on Mount Baker would get you to snow -- but you need to use some good judgment so you don't end up on a glacier. Seattle -- ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » 7 days, 7 teens, 1 van in Washington State - ideas? (not necessarily hiking)
April 14, 12:18pm

Re: Cream or Gel to Keep Feet Dry
You may be thinking of Hydropel - which I believe is no longer available. Body Glide is a possible alternative...

In GEAR » Cream or Gel to Keep Feet Dry
April 14, 10:33am

Re: Re: Re: direttissima
It's bagging all 48 4000 footers in the WMNF in a single unsupported continuous trip via the most direct route possible...

In GEAR » Hammock for NH white mountains direttissima 2013 HH Hyperlight vs WBBB???
April 07, 10:33am

Re: Thinking a downfilled jacket question
WM Megalite is a very roomy bag -- that's alot of extra space to warm up and keep warm. A down vest or light down jacket would reduce some of that space and add insulation. At that temperature,...

In GEAR » Thinking a downfilled jacket question
March 09, 8:09pm

Re: WTB Vest UL
If you like bright colors Backcountry.com still has the Stoic Hadron down vest available...

In Gear Swap » WTB Vest UL Medium
March 03, 5:38pm

Re: Strength training to lighten the load
Squats are a great exercise for backpacking -- leg strength and core strength. I also like walking lunges with a barbell...

In Philosophy & Technique » Strength training to lighten the load
February 23, 6:39pm

Re: Durable hauler
@Craig -- I took a 6 day glacier mountaineering course last summer, and the guide used a BD Mission 75. In addition to his personal gear, he carried the rope and climbing rack plus an ice tool, so ...

In GEAR » Pack: durable hauler recommendations
February 19, 7:46pm

Re: Cannot find the right softshell pants, help!
I like the Mountain Hardwear Warlow pants, but they don't meet your 3rd condition. For a belt, I used the "built-in" built off of a pair of hiking shorts. It was very thin, and didn&#...

In GEAR » Cannot find the right softshell pants, help!
February 17, 3:00pm

Re: has anyone tried to dehydrate syrup
Maple sugar candy and maple sugar is made by boiling maple syrup...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » has anyone tried to dehydrate syrup
February 17, 11:00am

Re: Who's around 5'6"-5'8" and does wintery, high alpine/really cold backpacking?
I'm 5'-8" -- and yes, you still have to be able to haul your 6'-0" team mate out of the crevasse...

In Chaff » Who's around 5'6"-5'8" and does wintery, high alpine/really cold backpacking?
February 17, 10:56am

All Reader Reviews by John Whynot

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

StickPic camera mount
A clever, well-engineered, and lightweight (0.35 ounces by my scale) gadget for mounting a camera on the tip of a trekking pole. Should work with any compact camera with a tripod socket. Works ver...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
June 16, 10:55am

BPL Thorofare Trekking Pants
I purchased these as a replacement for my overbuilt Montbell Stretch Windpants. The fabric of the Trekking pants is a microgrid ripstop nylon, with a slightly textured inner surface. Size medium...

In Clothing - Raingear
December 07, 8:31pm