BPL Community Profile

Luke Schmidt (Cameron) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale The WOODS
About Me Pursuing Christ, relationships, and adventure in that order. Nicknamed "Chief" because I grew up with a tribe of vegetarian cannibals on a small island off the coast of Iowa.
CityMidland TX
StateTexas
CountryUnited States
My Website URLhttp://westtexasmountainman.wordpress.com/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Luke Schmidt

Showing 1931 - 1940 of 2098 | Page: 1 ...185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 ...210

Forum » Thread

Re Boots
Scott you have a point there. Boots do protect you a bit better. I've had some close calls in deep snow. It seems to be the worst when there's a crust and I suddenly fall through into wh...

In GEAR » Footwear for the Southern AT in this Weather.
February 15, 11:21am

Gore Tex Socks
I've been using a pair of trailrunners with Gore Tex socks I picked up at REI over thin smartwool socks. I add a pair of gaitors if the snow is deep enough. I've heard these socks develop...

In GEAR » Footwear for the Southern AT in this Weather.
February 14, 8:54pm

Equinox Poncho
I have used the Equinox poncho both as raingear and as a shelter in rain and a snowstorm (the first big one in VA that buried D.C.). I like it but it IS a compromise, its not perfect as raingear o...

In GEAR » advice on poncho tarp/shelter
February 11, 9:09pm

Why not?
I'd say why not unless you're going to be in too big a hole financially. Worst case if the PCT just isn't possible you could maybe do the JMT or Colorado Trail but I'd push for the...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Should I walk the PCT this year?
February 11, 4:41pm

Easy first out west trip/CO
You also can't go wrong in Colorado, check out RMNP and the wilderness areas. Its busy but my family loves Indian Peaks Wilderness.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Easy first out west trip.
February 05, 1:55pm

Re Silnylon Rain Jacket
I remember Equinox sold one. I actaully bought one and than returned it. They had tried to make it somewhat breakable with pit vents and a vent on the back. If wasn't very breathable as a ra...

In GEAR » Silnylon Rain Jacket?
February 01, 3:13pm

Re Re Re Goose Down Humane
Thats true Lynn (poor countries having a higher birth rate because of poverty). Another factor is social values that encourage it. Also traditionally your kids have provided for you when you get ...

In GEAR » Goose Down, Humane?
January 31, 4:23pm

Re Re Re Re Most Ridiculious Thread
Troy you have a point in the "big picture" idea. The humaness of my down comes down to more of a personal moral issue than the overall envirnmental question which is more about resources...

January 30, 5:31pm

Re Re Goose Down Humane?
Interesting points Miguel. You have a point nature is not "clean" although it works. My brother and I hashed this out a while back. Since animals themselves don't hesitate to eat e...

January 28, 9:22pm

Re Re Snow Camping
Thanks for the invite Dougles, I'll probably have to pass on that one I'm only free on Friday and Saturday. Maybe next time.

In Chaff » Winter Storm; Southern Appalachians
January 28, 9:05pm

All Reader Reviews by Luke Schmidt

Luke Schmidt has posted no reviews.