Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Vick Hines (vickrhines) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Central Texas
About Me 2X AT thruhiker
Author of How to Make Your Own Lightweight Camping and Hiking Gear
Builder of solo canoes
Compulsive builder of yondering gear of all kinds.
CityAustin
StateTexas
CountryUnited States

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Vick Hines

Showing 191 - 200 of 1034 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...104

Forum » Thread

Re: FITTING SHOES
The big thing is that your feet change shape on long walks. If you thru-hike, they will change more or less permanently. That said, the biggest change will be the length of your feet. Most fol...

In GEAR » FITTING SHOES
August 25, 4:51pm

Re: Gypped?
"equipment gets better and lighter." Don't you believe it. Weight and quality go up and down in a predictable cycle and have done so since the 1940s. Gerry Cunningham instigated t...

In GEAR » I feel gypped
August 23, 12:47pm

Re: Re; Self-tensioning lines
I like to make tensioners from loops of the 1/8 or 5/32 inch elastic used for waist-drawcords. Tensioners do several things. They take up the slack as a nylon fly absorbs moisture and begins to...

In Make Your Own Gear » Self-tensioning lines
August 20, 11:15am

Re: Re: My mournful volcano kettle
I second the baffle idea. The easy way - and the way it's done in gas fired hot water ehaters - is to twist a long rectangle of metal. The rectangle should have a 'T' at the top to keep...

In Make Your Own Gear » 1oz Cookset
August 18, 7:08pm

Beware Vitamin I
FYI: Hiking the AT, I was taking Ibuprofen and other nonsteroidal anti-inflamatories (NSAs) in rotation for knee pain. Through a comedy of errors, I was forced to stop taking all NSAs. Within 3-4 w...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Beware Vitamin I
August 18, 6:49pm

Re: Camping fuel in Tajikistan
Consider a simple wood stove to burn dried dung chips. That's the local practice. You can make one from a coffee can with strategic holes punched top and bottom when you need it. Alcohol is ha...

In GEAR » Camping fuel in Tajikistan
August 17, 6:00pm

Re: Knife Sharpener
John, An alternative is to go to Ragweed Forge (.com, of course) for diamond plates. One is, oh, say 2x5" and double sided. These are diamond on absolutely flat metal plates, so they don...

In GEAR » Knife Sharpener
August 17, 5:55pm

Re: Storing Food After Dark
Yes, it can be difficult to find a good limb and throw a line in the dark. Headlamps help, even if the headlamp is nothing more than a photon type with an aligator clip attached clamped to an elas...

In Philosophy & Technique » Storing Food After Dark
August 16, 6:05pm

Re: What is your sock strategy?
1. It depends on conditions. 2. When my feet are soft - starting out - I wear mareno wool over light liners. When my feet are harder, I leave off either the liners or the wool, depending on the te...

In Philosophy & Technique » What is your sock strategy?
August 16, 6:01pm

Re: Scouts and Leave No Trace
Here is one thing you might try for getting scouts engaged with LNT. It may be a little militaristic but it has worked for me: If you have two or more patrols, separate them and make a game or com...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Scout Gear List
August 14, 5:24pm

All Reader Reviews by Vick Hines

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Nike Free Trail 5.0
Summary: A light moccasin with a good sole and no heel counter. The shoe encourages full use of foot and ankle, improves balance and control, and strengthens the foot and ankle. The low profile sole r...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
May 12, 4:17pm

Golite Trail Fly and Tail Spike
Two pairs of Golite shoes self-destructed within 70 miles on the AT. The first pair (Trail Fly) failed after 66 miles. The fake ripstop fabric over the toe section cracked with repeated flexing (an...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
May 08, 8:16pm