BPL Community Profile

Tom Lyons (towaly) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Smoky Mtns.
About Me Likes the outdoors.
StateTN
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Lyons

Showing 191 - 200 of 299 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Forum » Thread

Camp
Camp USA has some very good deals on their closeouts page right now. A variety of down jackets and parkas, with or without hoods, etc. Way lower prices than their normal retail. http://www.camp...

In GEAR » What down jacket? Patagonia down sweatshirt? Montbell ultralight down parka?
September 09, 8:28am

Baking
For campfire baking, I carry a 7" diameter metal mixing bowl. This bowl does many other duties for cooking and washing and hydration, but it's also my oven. This size obviously would only...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » gear for trail pizza
September 09, 6:44am

Water runoff
I think it's interesting. One thing that sticks out at me is that the rainwater is going to run right down the tarp on to the exposed part of the bivy. It had better be VERY waterproof, and t...

In Make Your Own Gear » The Bat Coffin - Tarp/Bivy/ Bugnet
September 08, 2:36pm

It depends.
I think you could do it with that arrangement. I'm actually depending on less, and hoping to get by if I get a cold dip to 15F on one night or so. Although I personally wouldn't want to ...

In GEAR » Versatile 3 season pad combo to 15F. Could this be the answere?
September 08, 10:40am

Warmer season SUL
For most of the year here in the SE, it's not very cold. Bag = Montbell Ultralight Down Thermal Sheet(Rated down to 50*F) 13 oz. Pad = Klymit X-Lite 6.5 oz. Groundsheet = Trimmed "spa...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » What is your SUL sleep system?
September 08, 8:26am

packed size?
What would be the estimated packed size for this item, in whatever size you may have? Is it fairly compressible?

In GEAR » Patagonia Capilene 4 Hoody: alternative to the venerable R1 Hoody?
September 08, 4:28am

yes
What you are describing can easily be done with your existing down bag. You use the AMK bivy as a Vapor Barrier Layer around your body inside the down bag. Then use another AMK bivy as a waterpro...

In Make Your Own Gear » AMK Emergancy Bivy plus CS Apex?
September 07, 12:33pm

Underwear neophyte needs guidance!
Okay, I have the military ECWCS thick polypro underwear top and bottoms. They are warm, and not overly heavy, but I would like to investigate alternatives that are lighter and less bulky in the pa...

In GEAR » Underwear neophyte needs guidance!
September 07, 9:36am

target market
For people who are accustomed to 3-5 pound sleeping bags that probably don't even work as cold as 20*F, this seems to offer a lot of bang for the buck. Remember, it's half the cost of a ...

In GEAR » ULA Sleeping bag
September 07, 9:17am

re
Some thoughts. I think you can get an 8x10 tarp very cheap. Even a low-dollar urethane coated tarp, which might be around a pound or so, will be a LOT lighter and easier to carry than any of tho...

In GEAR » Newbie With Questions
September 07, 9:01am

All Reader Reviews by Tom Lyons

Tom Lyons has posted no reviews.