BPL Community Profile

Michael Ray (topshot) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Middle-aged father who got into backpacking late (2009) and wants to encourage his 16 and 7 year old sons to backpack lightweight. Video trip reports of all the adventures so far are on my YT site below.
StateIndiana
My Website URLhttp://www.youtube.com/user/topshotrhit
My PDF Gear ListMaroon Bells - August 2011

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Ray

Showing 191 - 200 of 1036 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...104

Forum » Thread

Re: Am I missing anything?
What location and season? > I think we need some sort of water filtration system Maybe you added this since you posted but you have a Sawyer Squeeze listed, which is a highly regarded filt...

In Gear Lists » Am I missing anything?
January 24, 7:21am

Re: cold extremities
> You already use a downmat but that would have been my first suggestion. I was stunned how big a difference going from a Prolite to a DAM made. Maybe you need a thicker one with > R-value (o...

In Multiple Use Gear » Popsicle Toes
January 24, 6:43am

Re: Sunshine in the Deep South
Did I miss Parts 2 & 3? I had followed their trail journal but always liked the articles Balls wrote, but just realized I never saw the next installment.

In Editor's Roundtable » Sunshine in the Deep South
January 23, 9:02pm

Re: Is there a decent non-lightweight forum?
Hello there, Michael Ray! Kind of weird talking to myself. LOL. Thankfully, I found this site very early when I got into BPing finally at age 42. My first major trip had a base weight where you are...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Is there a decent non-lightweight forum?
January 22, 9:01am

Re: Re: Reccomend a camera for me. Quick please ;)
You can shoot the S100 in full manual mode, choosing ISO, shutter speed, aperture, focus, exposure compensation, flash compensation, white balance. Certainly not as fast to tweak it as a full-size ...

In Photography » Reccomend a camera for me. Quick please ;)
January 17, 8:48pm

Re: Go for the LX5
The Canons do the same so what makes the LX5 shine for you?

In Gear Swap » Also looking for a Canon S95/100 or Lumix LX5
January 17, 8:50am

Re: Teton Crest Trail
Bradford, PM me your email and I'll forward a tpo file of 3 routes Ryan Jordan has done of the Teton High Route. Another option that may be cheaper (if that is an issue for some), would be ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Teton Crest Trail
January 17, 8:11am

Re: WTB: Canon PowerShot S100 or Similar
You just missed the end of the year sale at Amazon. I picked up mine for $249, but they're $279 now (though that's still pretty competitive). If you don't mind waiting, you could try...

In Gear Swap » WTB: Canon PowerShot S100 or Similar
January 15, 7:26pm

Re: post JMT
Good to know about the mice! I'll use my Outsak though that will make it more attractive to 2-legged critters. May take a black trashbag to wrap it in, too. Mice can chew through any plastic co...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Major road trip to western parks - mainly Yosemite
January 14, 12:16pm

Yosemite post-JMT
2 more questions I thought of: 1. Is there an easy place to recharge camera batteries for a couple hours in Curry Village (or other nearby place)? Wouldn't surprise me if all 4 I'll have ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Major road trip to western parks - mainly Yosemite
January 14, 10:51am

All Reader Reviews by Michael Ray

Michael Ray has posted no reviews.