November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Scott S (sschloss1) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale New England
About Me Scott S has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott S

Showing 191 - 200 of 528 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...53

Forum » Thread

Is the pack really waterproof? I have one, and the fabric seems like typical ripstop nylon to me. There's nothing about it being waterproof on the Patagonia website (though they mention that ...

In Gear Swap » FS: Patagonia Lightweight Travel Pack (11.4oz)
September 22, 6:36pm

Re: Smokies/Nantahala area in October
We did the Springer to Newfound Gap last year around the first 2 weeks of October. 1) We saw a few hikers each day, but we also had shelters to ourselves on several nights. The Smokies were muc...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Smokies/Nantahala area in October
September 18, 5:51pm

Like I said... "A member of Anonymous known as AnonymousOwn3r is claiming responsibility, and makes it clear this is not an An...

In Chaff » Anonymous has taken down my Website
September 10, 3:57pm

Not Anonymous
From what I saw, it wasn't Anonymous (the hacker collective) that did this--just some single guy who used "Anonymous" in his name. Obviously, that doesn't change anything for you...

In Chaff » Anonymous has taken down my Website
September 10, 3:26pm

Now that I look at the pics more closely, I'm pretty sure it's a young Cooper's Hawk (the slightly larger cousin of sharp-shinned). In any event, it's not a merlin or any kind of f...

In Chaff » What killed this hawk?
September 06, 9:19pm

It's a sharp-shinned hawk
And there's no telling what killed it. I don't see any obvious signs of injury--if it's collided with something, there's usually a noticeably broken neck. It could've been poi...

In Chaff » What killed this hawk?
September 06, 7:51pm

Wool on the PCT
Wool may be stink-free (or not), but it won't keep the mosquitoes off of you. If you're okay with wearing extra layers on 90-degree days in northern California or spraying yourself head-to...

In GEAR » Merino vs. Synthetic for a Thru
September 04, 11:13am

I wore a long-sleeved nylon shirt on the PCT, and I'll be wearing the same on the CDT. Nylon does not get particularly smelly (I went 10+ days between washings a few times, and the smell was t...

In GEAR » Merino vs. Synthetic for a Thru
September 03, 5:01pm

My girlfriend is a social worker who works with homeless people. Among the folks she works with, there is always a need for backpacking-type equipment, especially tents, sleeping bags, backpacks, ...

In GEAR » Selling / donating older gear?
August 30, 8:00pm

PCT Thru Hike Clothing
I thru-hiked in 09. I had a Houdini and a rain jacket and would bring both again. Getting sweaty under your rain jacket sucks, and the Houdini is amazingly breathable--I wore mine all the time on...

In Gear Lists » PCT Thru Hike Clothing
August 30, 2:55pm

All Reader Reviews by Scott S

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Mountain Laurel Design FS exodus
I used an Exodus FS for my 5-month CDT thru-hike. The pack was, by far, my least favorite piece of gear. What I didn't like: - The pack squeaked loudly and persistently, with almost every ste...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
December 23, 5:07pm