BPL Community Profile

Scott S (sschloss1) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale New England
About Me Scott S has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott S

Showing 191 - 200 of 460 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...46

Forum » Thread

Let your fingers do the walking...
1) Finish food. Use your utensil to get as much of the extra food bits out as possible. 2) Pour an ounce or so of water into the pot. 3) Swirl this water around with your finger to remove re...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Cleaning cookware away from a water source?
March 08, 6:31am

Re: Tarp worries
I used the same setup as Sean on the PCT: Cuben Grace Solo Tarp + Superlight Bivy. The tarp is small enough that, in a hard rain, it's hard to avoid some splashing on your bag. So, if you'...

In GEAR » Tarp worries.
March 07, 6:35am

Canid
Looking at the second picture again, the tracks look more elongated than in the single picture above. And I can sort of see claw marks. I'd vote canid now, too, but tracking is an art, not a ...

In Photo Gallery » Need help identifying animal tracks in snow.
March 06, 3:29pm

Hard to say
In your top picture, it looks like there might be evidence of a claw--mountain lion tracks don't show claws. But it's hard to rule out mountain lion given the quality of your pictures. Th...

In Photo Gallery » Need help identifying animal tracks in snow.
March 06, 10:23am

Montbell Ultralight Thermawrap or Patagonia Nano Puff
I own both, but I prefer the Nanopuff. For one thing, it's noticeably warmer (as someone above mentioned, it has about 20% more insulation per unit area than the Thermawrap. Also, the Nanopuf...

In GEAR » Montbell Ultralight Thermawrap or Patagonia Nano Puff
March 06, 8:09am

NY Times
It was the New York Times, not Time (but thanks for jogging my memory--no pun intended). Anyway, I don't know how you can make yourself enjoy something that you don't otherwise. But on...

In Chaff » Exercise as a chore or a hobby perhaps?
March 05, 12:35pm

Habit formation
I was reading somewhere about the psychology of habit formation, and the author said that the key to forming a habit is that the action has to lead to some sort of reward. For some people, the rew...

In Chaff » Exercise as a chore or a hobby perhaps?
March 05, 11:41am

Dirty Girl Glue
I don't use glue with the velcro--I just clean off the shoes with a little water and attach the velcro. The key is to give the adhesive 24 hours to set. The one time I had my velcro come off ...

In GEAR » Dirty Girl Gaiter Glue Question?
March 04, 7:57am

Bearikade Expedition
On the PCT, I was able to get about 6 1/2 days of food into my Expedition. Of course, that was on a thru-hiker's schedule/diet, so I was eating 3500-4000 calories each day. If you're plan...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Realistic Number of Days Food in Bearikade Weekender/Expedition
March 03, 4:13pm

Zeiss
Dale, I'm not sure what you were looking at, but I have the Zeiss 8x20 Conquest ($394 on Amazon). Mine are still in great shape after a PCT thru-hike, and the optics are as good as you'll ...

In GEAR » Ultralight binoculars or monoculars
March 03, 3:04pm

All Reader Reviews by Scott S

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mountain Laurel Design FS exodus
I used an Exodus FS for my 5-month CDT thru-hike. The pack was, by far, my least favorite piece of gear. What I didn't like: - The pack squeaked loudly and persistently, with almost every ste...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
December 23, 5:07pm