BPL Community Profile

Scott Bentz (scottbentz) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I live in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. I can get to a lot of nice hiking areas right from my street or travel for 15 minutes to higher elevations in the Angeles National Forrest. I started packing again with my sons in their Boy Scout troop. I was definitely not light that first trip 6 years ago and have been reducing my pack weight ever since. I mainly pack a few times a year in the Eastern and Western Sierras.
My PDF Gear ListNorth Lake South Lake 2012

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott Bentz

Showing 191 - 200 of 435 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...44

Forum » Thread

Uh,
Lightweight, 12 oz. for top and bottom, as breathable as most things out there, all for about $19.00. Not bad! You need to be careful with them, they love to bust at the seam on the butt and th...

In GEAR » I don't understand DriDucks
April 07, 1:07pm

Large Groups and "Backup"
" I'll be with 10 other peeps so in the case of a total gear failure I will be able to borrow." I would only take the new stove you make. With 10 other people THEY can be your back...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Grand Canyon in two weeks - newbie backpacker
April 01, 2:57pm

Snakes on the Trail
A few years ago we were hiking in the Golden Trout Wilderness, California. We were with a group of scouts and were trying to complete 20 miles that day. We had to hike down to a lower elevation, li...

In Gear Lists » Zion National Park - Mid May
March 31, 10:41am

Neo Air, etc.
My brother took a brand new Neo Air on our JMT hike. It had a slow leak. Hard to find on the trail. Fortunately, we were in Tuolomne on our second day and he picked a Ridgerest CCF I think. He late...

In GEAR » Which Sleeping Pad for JMT
March 30, 9:46am

Inside For Me
I use a basic Equinox Superlight Bivy. I put my TorsoLite pad inside. I also added a few spots of silicone on the bottom of my pad so it would not slip around. I find that if I use the pad on the o...

In GEAR » Sleeping pad on inside or outside of bivy?
March 24, 1:01pm

Dri Ducks Sizing
Christian, Make sure you look the Dri Ducks sizing chart over. They run extremely large. I use a medium and am 5'9" and 200 lbs! I don't wear a medium in ANYTHING. I would also ...

In Gear Lists » need help chosing between 2 rain gear systems
March 15, 2:55pm

Liquid Fuels
I personally think they are talking about not starting a campfire with liquid fuels; not a stove. Many troops use liquid canister stoves to this day. Somehow they have to get that fuel into the...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Alcohol Stove Safety
March 11, 3:03pm

South Africa
We worry about bears. What do you worry about? I was in South Africa a few years ago with my family and saw a sign that read "Monkeys are a problem". So are hippos, crocs, lions, et...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » South African UL backpackers
March 10, 4:11pm

Hip Belt and Water
Before I knew better I carried (along with a 7lb. Low Alpine pack) a water belt used for running. It has little pockets for food and space for a 20 oz. water. I liked it because I do not like drink...

In GEAR » What I would like to see on a pack...
March 10, 4:02pm

Gear List
If you click on a persons profile (might be a member only function) most people have posted some sort of gear list for different situations. I think you will find a similarity in most set ups and w...

In Gear Lists » Need Complete Gear List
March 08, 2:30pm

All Reader Reviews by Scott Bentz

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

MSR MIOX
We used a MSR Miox on a trip with 9 people (Scouts). We got very spotty results and ended up playing with the unit more than we wanted. It seemed like the perfect solution but was not worth the wait. ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 03, 5:04pm