BPL Community Profile

Samuel C. Farrington (scfhome) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Chocorua NH, USA
About Me Samuel C. Farrington has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Samuel C. Farrington

Showing 191 - 200 of 1561 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...157

Forum » Thread

Rubbish
Re: "... goose down really, is naturally very water resistant and it is not easy to get completely wet in any real life scenario." Agree with Bob G. It might be more accurate to say, ...

In GEAR » Western Mountaineering on water resistant down and Pertex fabric
October 29, 10:55pm

backstitch etc.
"Babylock sells a bomber machine called the Denim Pro (now named the BL18 selling for around $200.00)" "a Viking Emerald 116 that cost under 1/2 the Pfaff." Yipes, sounds ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Backstitch vs Lockstitch
October 29, 10:39pm

Backstitching
Adam, Am still puzzled why you would want such an expensive machine. There are home machines that are more than adequate to make all the packs, tents, etc. I've done. As for the backstitch...

In Make Your Own Gear » Backstitch vs Lockstitch
October 27, 8:24pm

Phoenix tents
First got interested in their designs when got a computer in the nineties. But by then, they were out of business under both the Pheonix and Omega names. It was reading about the Phreeranger tent i...

In GEAR » Phoenix Phreebooter is a great tent and it gets the most comments on the trail.
October 26, 6:08pm

TT sealing
Probably why Franco had to move.

In GEAR » Why Doesn't Tarptent Seam Seal Their Tents?
October 24, 5:12pm

More LT poles
Yeesh, now see that there is the Helinox Passport Twist Lock of DAC alloy with an extension sleeve and about 5 oz weight per pole. The models have been changing lately, but on the most current, th...

In GEAR » Gossamer Gear LT Poles
October 22, 11:02pm

only a 3 oz difference
Hi Lawson, You are right about my spending a lot of time designing while not trekking. The reason for that is keeping journals has made it possible to achieve much greater success designing and b...

In Make Your Own Gear » New Material. Feedback Wanted.
October 22, 10:45pm

sil or cuben floor
Paul, Ran across this 2 oz/sq/yd X-Pac from Rockwoods, claimed to have a 10,000mm HH. It is 30 denier nylon bonded to PET film. Maybe with the nylon side facing the ground it would be sufficient...

In Make Your Own Gear » sil or cuben floor?
October 21, 10:30pm

Lago 1P
Rick, FYI, on the one I purchased, the 2.75# weight given for of the Lago 1P does not include the 3 oz total weight of the 4 guy lines that fold into pockets on the canopy. Also, the width of the ...

In GEAR » Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 tent fabric
October 21, 7:04pm

GG LT4s
Thanks to all who provided info here or by PM about diameters of the LT4, CP3 and Fizan Compact poles. The responses were all different, but all over 5/8" (.625") (15.875mm), so all shoul...

In GEAR » Gossamer Gear LT Poles
October 21, 6:18pm

All Reader Reviews by Samuel C. Farrington

Showing 1 - 10 of 10 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Marmot Rockstar Pant
These pants were purchased after trying a number of DWR, quick drying polyester and nylon products in search of lighter weight. However, all were very baggy, and none met the secondary goal of having ...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
May 12, 10:51pm

Mont Bell Ultra-Light Spiral Down Hugger #3 Long
Bought this shortly after the BPL review came out. It was my first down bag since the 70's. The outstanding DWR treatment shown in the review persuaded me that a down bag might work for me agai...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
November 25, 8:09pm

Potable Aqua Iodine Drinking Water Germicidal Tablets
It is a good emergency item, because, as already pointed out, it takes up almost no weight or space. It addresses both the crypto and giardia if one waits the recommended times. Should the main wa...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
July 05, 11:13pm

Sealskinz Ultra Grip Black Glove
Tried them a few years ago for winter snowshoeing, which involved a lot of bushwacking. Clammy, wet, cold and eventually, frozen fingers. Just about anything else is better, even just leather. Am su...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
January 07, 11:14pm

Montbell Super Stretch Down Hugger #3
Used the reg (not super) version of this bag for three weeks; one on Maine's Grafton Loop Trail in June at altitudes up to 3K', and two in Colorado's Rawahs in August at altitudes up to 12...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
January 06, 11:10pm

Cocoon UL 60 Hoody and Pant
I have not had any problems with the stitching, and have found the product to be reasonably warm for its very light weight. Pockets might have been nice for handwarming, but if it is really cold, I c...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
October 07, 12:06am

Lorpen Trekking Extreme Coolmax Socks
For anyone allergic to wool, or just looking for a fine coolmax sock, these are a good choice - 75% Coolmax, 15% Polyamide, 10% Lycra. Weight is 4.4 oz a pair in size Medium. They are a medium to he...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 25, 8:26pm

Remington RMHL2AAA-B
While I have always used hang lights in camp instead of headlamps, ordered this item because of Keith's excellent review. Was pleased to note that the beam was as bright and more even than the Ph...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
January 14, 8:34pm

MSR Mountain Safety Research HyperFlow microfilter
My understanding from this and other sites is that this filter is not effective after thawing once the element has been frozen. If this is not so, it would be helpful to have this corrected. Otherwi...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
March 01, 4:44pm

SnowPeak Gigapower LI
The only drawback for this stove was the lack of a windscreen, such that it did not perform efficiently in windy conditions. The manufacturer's screen sold separately is stainless steel, and on th...

In Stoves - Canister
November 15, 12:39am