BPL Community Profile

Russell Swanson (rswanson) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Midatlantic
About Me Russell Swanson has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Russell Swanson

Showing 191 - 200 of 547 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...55

Forum » Thread

Re: Gear List - SHR Solo
Klas, Hopefully you're out hiking the SHR and not reading this right now! If you do happen to be rading this, I see that you're planning on using the Ursack S29. I have one as well and...

In Gear Lists » How about your Sub-10 list
July 11, 9:13am

Re: Golite Jam 2 and Bear Vault 500
I'm pretty sure it would work. I wouldn't count on getting it to lay horizontally. You could probably sit it upright, pack some soft gear around the sides and fit the rest on top, probabl...

In GEAR » Golite Jam 2 and Bear Vault 500
July 11, 8:48am

Re: Torx
Hey, I drive a Jeep Wrangler and can tell you that it has nothing close to the size of those torx screws on my TJ. At least, nothing that I've seen. They're all much bigger. The electric...

In GEAR » UL pocketknife - what blade do you carry?
July 11, 8:43am

Re: Funny blog
Pamela, That's true. For many folks here, having one bag won't do the trick. I have only a single, 20 degree bag which is way too much for summer hiking but I carry it anyway. Maybe ...

In GEAR » Choosing Gear is Excessively Complex
July 10, 1:33pm

Re: Choosing Gear is Excessively Complex
First off, let me say that you seem to be meandering very close to troll-territory with the subject of this post and the blog post you reference. I'm assuming you wrote the blog. Backpackingl...

In GEAR » Choosing Gear is Excessively Complex
July 10, 12:20pm

Re: Re: What kind of pot, mug or kettle do you use?
I'm with Ben. I use the same two mugs- the SP 600 and the BPL 550 with handles. I like the BPL because of the lid. My wife usually carries the Snow Peak. We never use them for anything beyo...

In GEAR » What kind of pot, mug or kettle do you use?
July 10, 8:06am

Re: UL pocketknife - what blade do you carry?
I have completely changed my point of view about this over the past few years. I have come to realize that I never seem to find a use for anything more serious than the smallest Swiss Army knife. ...

In GEAR » UL pocketknife - what blade do you carry?
July 10, 7:55am

Re: Re: New Solo Hiking Thread
Ryan Krause- "Some of my most relaxed nights I can remember were camping by myself too, the sound of the trees rustling in the wind is just awesome." Is there any more amazing natural ...

In Philosophy & Technique » New Solo Hiking Thread
July 04, 2:04pm

Re: Re: To tarp or not to tarp
Daniel, Maybe I have the wrong tarp tent haha! I love my Contrail but it sure feels more tarp than tent to me. As I stated, this isn't an exercise in weight reduction for me. Its more for...

In Philosophy & Technique » To tarp or not to tarp
July 04, 1:36pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hammocks
Mike, I'll try the Bear Mtn if I have the opportunity. I have friends who hammock on occasion but it hasn't stuck with me. I also don't have much of a comfort issue sleeping on the...

In Philosophy & Technique » To tarp or not to tarp
July 04, 12:59pm

All Reader Reviews by Russell Swanson

Showing 1 - 8 of 8 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Pacific Outdoor Products Insul Mat Max-Thermo
This is a little dated as the new Ether series has since replaced my POE pad but I still feel the review is relevant due as a statement about the company. First, the pad is comfortable, so I won'...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
September 29, 11:48pm

Pacific Outdoor Equipment Max Compact
I'll be posting a similar review under the POE Max Thermo regarding the quality of the pad. First, the pad is as comfortable as advertised, so I won't go into details about this. My comments ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
September 29, 11:41pm

Aloksak O.P 12.5 x 20"
I also had difficulties securing the seal on the on the OP Sak in both a Bear Vault and an Ursak (w/aluminum liner). The OP Sak is square and the bear containers are round. Perhaps a better design w...

In Miscellaneous Products
September 22, 9:42am

Patagonia Houdini Wind Jacket
I don't need to add to the comments about the jacket's usefulness and breathability. I practicaly live in mine on the trail. I'm dinging the perfect rating down to a 3/5 for two reasons;...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
May 03, 4:33pm

ULA Conduit
A lot of superlatives have been already said in the above reviews and I don't have a lot to add, other comments about the pad sleeve. It was clearly designed to accept self inflating 3/4 length p...

In Backpacks - Frameless
April 11, 10:57am

REI Quarterdome
If you must have a double walled tent, this one is hard to beat. For the price, you're getting a great package. I've had the Quarter Dome for a few years now and it's been quite a serv...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
March 21, 5:18pm

ULA Equipment
Aside from Brian's phenomenal products (which are well documented), I recently had a great experience shopping with ULA. While researching a new pack purchase, Brian Frankle my emails to ULA Equi...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 14, 1:58pm

Western Mountaineering Ultralight Super
Ok, I'll admit that I'm posting this review just to see what it does to my BPL rating. Oh the vanity! I bought this bag sight unseen, based largely on Western Mountaineering’s reputation within th...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
November 30, 6:02pm