BPL Community Profile

Ross Bleakney (rossbleakney) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Cascades
About Me Ross Bleakney has not added a biography yet.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ross Bleakney

Showing 191 - 200 of 939 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...94

Forum » Thread

Re: I bought Neoair small
The women's version is a bit shorter. Choices, choices...

In GEAR » Thermarest NeoAir XLite First Impressions
February 07, 12:08pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: I need girl/ couples advice
My wife and I use a Penguin Bag, from Feathered Friends, along with a groundsheet, specifically designed to work with it. I forget the weight of each, but if I remember right, the bag was close to ...

In GEAR » I need girl/ couples advice
February 06, 4:20pm

Re: Re: re: Altai ski crampons
I'm actually leaning that way right now. The truth is, I keep going back and forth on this. As I said, I don't want to damage the ski or the plate. Using a ski crampon would probably be OK,...

In Make Your Own Gear » "Chains" (Ski Crampons) for my Altai Skis
January 31, 9:21am

Re: Tarpent vs Regular Tent
I think any tent by TarpTent is a good tent for a beginning backpacker. Most of his tents are simply single walled tents (a few are double walled). They are an excellent value, and are easy to setu...

In GEAR » About to pull the trigger on a Tarptent Contrail.
January 30, 1:50pm

Re: Re: B&D fat crampons
top view: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rossbl/6786134441/lightbox/ side view: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rossbl/6786134677/lightbox/ Hopefully that helps. I appreciate the link to Voile, as I...

January 29, 6:49pm

Re: Width underfoot
The skis are about 108 mm (4.25 inches) across underfoot. The plate sticks up about 13 mm (a half inch) and does not go all way across. I can imagine that this would cause a problem, but I'm no...

January 29, 5:30pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: "Chains" (Ski Crampons) for my Altai Skis
>> By "ski crampons" maybe you are referring to harscheisen. Those can be fitted over the heel plate or the midpoint on many ski bindings. Yes, I think they are the same thing. H...

January 29, 2:51pm

Re: Re: "Chains" (Ski Crampons) for my Altai Skis
@Peter -- Good ideas. One thing worth mentioning is that the ski binding sits on top of a wooden plate. The plate works for a few different binding types. As a result, it has more holes than I actu...

January 29, 2:37pm

Re: Re: "Chains" (Ski Crampons) for my Altai Skis
>>> umm Climbing skins? They have built-in skins. I want something that will make them stop. I can ski down a mountain (or into a tree) with skins on. I want something with more grab.

January 29, 2:22pm

"Chains" (Ski Crampons) for my Altai Skis
I created a new thread related to MYOG and Altai skis: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=58855 I created the thread in MYOG, but...

In Winter Hiking » "Chains" (Ski Crampons) for my Altai Skis
January 29, 1:58pm

All Reader Reviews by Ross Bleakney

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear
Another GG review, another five out of five. This time, I broke a pole section (the lower part, or tip). It was my fault (I stepped on it) and not the fault of the pole. A call to customer support (I&...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
August 25, 12:11pm

Ultrapod Mini
I am very happy with my Ultrapod Mini. It does what is supposed to do very well. You often have to be resourceful with it; but with a little imagination, you can take great pictures. For example, if y...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
July 04, 7:38pm

Pentax Optio WP
I very much like my Optio WPi (6 mp). I have found the waterproof feature to be of much greater value than I originally expected. For winter pictures, it is really handy to set up a picture and not wo...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
July 04, 7:13pm

Eureka Zues II Exo
I bought this tent a few years ago, before I knew about tarp tents. I have been happy with it, but it is a little smaller and heavier than a tarp tent. As a free standing tent, it is more round, which...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
August 14, 3:13pm