BPL Community Profile

Ross Bleakney (rossbleakney) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Cascades
About Me Ross Bleakney has not added a biography yet.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ross Bleakney

Showing 191 - 200 of 949 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...95

Forum » Thread

Re: It happened...the dreaded flat pad at 2AM (Exped SynMat UL7)
Like others, I put a thinlight pad underneath an inflatable (in my case, a NeoAir). It provides a little bit of extra warmth and comfort along with a little bit of protection. If the inflatable doe...

In GEAR » It happened...the dreaded flat pad at 2AM (Exped SynMat UL7)
March 26, 2:16pm

Re: Ultralight Waterproof Breathable Jackets: 2012 State of the Market Report
Great review, but it is a bit disappointing that no Propore or breathable Cuben jackets were reviewed. I know Propore is extremely fragile and Cuben is extremely expensive, but I would like to know...

In Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight Waterproof Breathable Jackets: 2012 State of the Market Report
March 21, 12:45pm

Re: Re: Re: kinda picky questions on sleeping socks
Last year, I did a few hikes in the spring and early summer that included snow travel. This meant that my feet got wet. For those trips, I took two pairs of hiking socks and an extra pair of fleece...

In GEAR » kinda picky question on sleeping socks
March 06, 5:16pm

Re: Re: Re: Using a tarp with a small "dugout" in snow?
OK, so I found the magazine. It is the latest issue (Jan/Feb 2012, Volume 31.3) of Cross Country Skier. The article is titled "Down in the trenches... snow trenches, that is!" by Ron Watt...

In Winter Hiking » Using a tarp with a small "dugout" in snow?
March 02, 8:39am

Re: Using a tarp with a small "dugout" in snow?
Sounds good to me. I just read an article in one of the cross country ski magazines about survival camping (I can't remember which one). I know that isn't what you are doing, but many of th...

In Winter Hiking » Using a tarp with a small "dugout" in snow?
February 28, 2:54pm

Re: Re: re:"Mountainsmith Ghost is back"
>>> Ouch - moving the center of gravity away from the body is a 'No No.' At the weight this is neither a lightweight pack and clearly not an UL pack. I completely agree. I don&#...

In GEAR » Mountainsmith Ghost is back
February 20, 6:47pm

Re: Re: Platypus Clean Stream vs Aqua Mira
A lot depends on how much patience you have, how often you like to drink, and what the water sources are like. I hike a lot in the Northwest, where there are a lot of streams and lakes. I rarely ca...

In GEAR » Platypus Clean Stream vs Aqua Mira
February 20, 6:43pm

Re: RE: Durability
I've never had them wet out, unlike Goretex. They breathe really well (somewhere between Goretex and Event). As mentioned, the big problem is durability. As mentioned, the pants are way more li...

In GEAR » is this the driducks classic?
February 14, 10:34pm

Re: Re: Re: Blood flow differences
Just an update on the couples gear front. I was at Feathered Friends yesterday, and I saw a very nice couples sleeping bag. It has not been officially released. I think they are waiting for a Backp...

In GEAR » I need girl/ couples advice
February 13, 1:20pm

Re: Umbrellas
Great article! However, I find fault with this: >>The lightest rain jackets weigh 8 ounces (227 g), but they aren't very pleasant in truly rainy weather. To get a good rain jacket that w...

In Editor's Roundtable » Backpacking and Hiking with an Umbrella
February 08, 10:46am

All Reader Reviews by Ross Bleakney

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear
Another GG review, another five out of five. This time, I broke a pole section (the lower part, or tip). It was my fault (I stepped on it) and not the fault of the pole. A call to customer support (I&...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
August 25, 12:11pm

Ultrapod Mini
I am very happy with my Ultrapod Mini. It does what is supposed to do very well. You often have to be resourceful with it; but with a little imagination, you can take great pictures. For example, if y...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
July 04, 7:38pm

Pentax Optio WP
I very much like my Optio WPi (6 mp). I have found the waterproof feature to be of much greater value than I originally expected. For winter pictures, it is really handy to set up a picture and not wo...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
July 04, 7:13pm

Eureka Zues II Exo
I bought this tent a few years ago, before I knew about tarp tents. I have been happy with it, but it is a little smaller and heavier than a tarp tent. As a free standing tent, it is more round, which...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
August 14, 3:13pm