BPL Community Profile

Roman Dial (romandial) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale packrafting NZ
About Me A middle aged man, married, fattening up.
CityAnchorage
StateAlaska
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roman Dial

Showing 191 - 200 of 210 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Unsupported/Unresupplied/Thru-Hikes
Richard and PJ, I have been busy with some other projects and haven't been reading here until tonight -- But you guys just don't know how excited I am about this thread -- I have been waiting lite...

In Philosophy & Technique » Unsupported/Unresupplied/Thru-Hikes
November 30, 12:18am

Re: Re: Unsupported/Unresupplied/Thru-Hikes
Richard, Can you work your model backwards? For instance, what parameters would sastisfy walking the PCT across Oregon and Washington, say, in a month and a half, without resupply? I guess wh...

November 18, 2:14pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Your questions needed for new BPL column
This BPL site is a great one because it has such a range of topics and experience levels. If it were not for the BPL site the Arctic 1000 would likely never have happened, for instance. BPL is a...

In Philosophy & Technique » Your questions needed for new BPL column
November 18, 2:05pm

Big challenge
I think 1100 miles is doable with a 70 pound starting load that is 65 pounds of food -- the other 5 is shared with a partner who also carries the same 65+5 load so that sharing of sleeping, cooking...

November 16, 9:16pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sleeping with food
Yes we had a skunk incident in arizona once as well. We did not get sprayed but the animal did its head stand -- striped skink? We we simply sleeping outside in a campsite that was of course hfa...

In Philosophy & Technique » Sleeping with food
November 16, 8:55pm

Re: Re: Sleeping with food
I don't get on often enough to keep up with all the great discussions at this site - and this topic is a favorite. As one of the "Ryan et al", when I say I sleep with my food, I mean I physicall...

In Philosophy & Technique » Sleeping with food
November 16, 8:00pm

?s for Skurka
How much do you sleep when you walk far? How far can you walk without sleeping? How far if you are low on food? How fast do you heal? Does it depend on your sleeping? On your eating? What...

In Philosophy & Technique » Your questions needed for new BPL column
November 08, 10:33pm

Re: Hike Solo
One perspective on bears is that they are like other animals -- dogs, for instance -- that read your body language in deciding what to do with you. You are likely to have more problems with a be...

In Philosophy & Technique » Hiking Alone
November 08, 10:17pm

lighweight on Wonderland
That Wonderland loop is ideal for UL -- particularly if you just drop in and have no reservation. Then you have more flexibility with camps because you can go farther/faster if needed. Also that tr...

In Post-Trip Reports » On the Wonderland Trail - July 2006
October 18, 9:02pm

Packrafting in the SE
My son and I did the French Broad and it was great fun. We ran it two in one Alpacka as I brough a fuel bottle cap and not the valve cap so we both jumped in one boat with two paddles. We ran it al...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Rivers for Packrafting in the Southeast
October 17, 11:22pm

All Reader Reviews by Roman Dial

Roman Dial has posted no reviews.