BPL Community Profile

Richard Lyon (richardglyon) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Bridger Mountains
About Me I backback most frequently in the Rockies, and most often take three-day trips. Over the past fifteen years I've served as a Forest Service volunteer in Wyoming and Montana, doing trail maintenance. As I get older I'm always looking for ways to lighten my pack load but I'm far from ultralight. I especially like base camp trips, with day hikes from a fixed camp.
CityBozeman
StateMontana
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Lyon

Showing 191 - 200 of 797 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...80

Forum » Thread

Donations
I normally donate gear I can't sell to the US Forest Service or one of its affiliates such as the Bob Marshall Wilderness Foundation. With all the trail maintenance and related work that they d...

In GEAR » Selling / donating older gear?
August 30, 8:02pm

Spin v Tenkara
Kevin, In lakes spinning gear allows you to cover much more water than any flyfishing setup, at no cost in surface v subsurface action. You can always attach a ginked dry fly to your spinning ri...

In Fishing » Spinner fishing vs Tenkara fishing.
August 29, 7:54am

virtual vestibule
David, sorry but I don't have pictures. The virtual vestibule is large enough for boots and a water bottle but not for cooking. Not enough room and it sits where the fly is low. Richard

In GEAR » Hilleberg Soulo or Mountain hardwear EV2
August 10, 3:56pm

Hilleberg
I endorse what Craig has said about Hilleberg tents. The Unna is my winter solo shelter, basically a Soulo with no vestibule - the vestibule space is part of the tent. I've found guys to be unn...

In GEAR » Hilleberg Soulo or Mountain hardwear EV2
August 10, 7:16am

Scenery ad wildlife
Do Slough Creek. Good chance of a wolf and a griz

In Pre-Trip Planning » Yellowstone/Grand Teton day hikes?
July 29, 7:54am

Day hikes in Yellowstone
D K, Some suggestions: Slough Creek - easy hike, great scenery, world class fishery Mt. Washburn - easy day hike, spectacular views all the way to the Tetons. Various day hikes from the...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Yellowstone/Grand Teton day hikes?
July 27, 9:47pm

Skaha sizing
I have a vest and a sweater, both XL, and both fit perfectly - in the case of the sweater, thanks to two inches' extra length that I ordered after talking with Tom. Talk to Tom. He'll g...

In GEAR » Nunatak Skaha
July 23, 8:11pm

Bob Marshall planning
I completed a one-week service (USFS trail maintenance) trip in the Bob Marshall the first week of July, along the East side trail of the South Fork, and I've backpacked in and around Holland L...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Bob Marshall - Late July (advice needed)
July 20, 8:06pm

30-32 F sleeping bag
Shahar, I have a Valandre Mirage, about five years old, good condition, Pertex Quantum fabric, short side zip, bought on this forum a few years back and used lightly since as I've switched to q...

In Gear Swap » WTB: 30-32 Degrees Sleeping bag
June 28, 8:07am

Grizzlies in the Bob
I've seen several - all from a great distance, thank goodness - and seen signs, such as scat, tree markings, and tracks, uncomfortably close to camp. About all I can recommend beyond standard ...

In Post-Trip Reports » Bob Marshall Wilderness Open – Eccentric But Not Insane
June 26, 8:34pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Lyon

Showing 1 - 10 of 18 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Introduction to Packrafting September 2009
A great way to spend three days, and a great course. Four instructors for eight students (difficult to improve on that ratio), all of them knowledgeable, friendly, and good at instructing. Great scen...

In 2 - BACKPACKING LIGHT WILDERNESS TREKKING SCHOOL
December 10, 9:45am

Nunatak Alpinist
I don't doubt what the other reviewers have said, and I'd be upset at not getting what I expected after paying custom prices. My experience has been just the opposite, however. I have sever...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
April 13, 8:30am

Feathered Friends Customer Service
FF's customer service has been exemplary. I've bought two bags and a down jacket over the years (and sale stuff for others) and the telephone reps have gone out of their way to help. Most rece...

November 07, 3:55pm

Mountain Gear
My only problems with Mountain Gear are website-related. I've had gear shipped to the wrong address and once or twice been unable to complete an order online. But it's easy to get a live (and ...

November 07, 3:45pm

Exped Downmat 7
Drawbacks - You need to inflate it with its bellows, and (1) the bellows will slip off the port for inflation very easily; (2) it's tough to close the port after inflating without losing some infl...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
October 04, 9:37pm

Patagonia
Everything I've ever purchased from Patagonia has been high quality and functional, and I've been buying for years and years. On the few occasions when I've had a question or a problem, Cu...

July 31, 9:22am

Backcountry.com
Backcountry.com shows how customer service should be in the Internet era. A human being is easy to reach on orders and comes back with informed answers on technical questions. Free shipping on orders ...

March 31, 12:19pm

Rainy Pass (Gear Repair)
I have used Rainy Pass for repairs (torn mesh, zippers) and customization (adding windows to tents. Each time I have received knowledgable advice and an accurate (and reasonable) quote from a telephon...

March 31, 12:12pm

Wild Things Gear Customer Service
I don't doubt Joan's report - bad things occasionally happen even with great companies - but I'm surprised because my experience has been just the opposite. Latest experience is a good exa...

March 24, 1:57pm

SteepandCheap.Com SteepandCheap.Com
If you find something you need or just have to have the prices can't be beat. I recently skied with someone who works for backcountry.com (owns SAC) who said that its prices are lower than what an...

March 21, 1:44pm