BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 191 - 200 of 6429 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...643

Forum » Thread

Re: Acu-Rite thermometer: question
what Rex said - it can be 10 degree F colder, or maybe when it fell on the ground it broke. Put thermometer in plastic bag to protect it. Put bag in ice water - as much ice as possible with en...

In GEAR » Acu-Rite thermometer: question
March 12, 10:22pm

Re: sewing
When you sew two pieces of silnylon together, the top one sticks on the pressure foot a little and slips relative to the bottom one, so for a long seam, they won't line up at the end of the sea...

In Make Your Own Gear » Help sort out my confusion
March 12, 8:44pm

Re: Sawyer Mini but you can't have it
You're teasing us : ) That looks like a mini with the input and output the same - you can screw onto a bottle or bag Then, you could use it to backwash using a bottle/bag without anything...

In GEAR » Sawyer Mini design...so close
March 12, 5:12pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: The Enchantments Permit Lottery
It's nice I'm flexible on timing. Doesn't work for everyone. I think I got my first choice so maybe next year you'll be luckier.

In Pre-Trip Planning » The Enchantments Permit Lottery
March 12, 1:05pm

Re: Excellent
Yeah, good post Nick I like to have rock "tables" to put stuff on If it's windy, sand and dust can blow onto everything. Sometimes, brush will provide some protection. Sometim...

In Philosophy & Technique » Help Me Get Better @ Site Selection
March 12, 11:11am

Re: Re: The Enchantments Permit Lottery
I got one a couple years ago. Requested any of several days. If you had an open enough request, like first open day after Labor Day weekend you'll get a permit.

In Pre-Trip Planning » The Enchantments Permit Lottery
March 12, 10:42am

Re: Re: Re: let's make a hot weather quilt.. cotton, fleece?
I use Nobul1 against skin and it feels okay, but I'm not too picky about being clammy

In Make Your Own Gear » let's make a hot weather quilt.. cotton, fleece?
March 12, 10:18am

Re: Re: let's make a hot weather quilt.. cotton, fleece?
Just use insulated jacket? Maybe have just a layer of Pertex or whatever on the outside to prevent drafts?

March 12, 10:17am

Re: let's make a hot weather quilt.. cotton, fleece?
Warmth to weight of fleece is 1/4 synthetic. Fleece bag will be heavy and not warm. Maybe good down to 60 F if you wear a base layer. 2.5 oz Apex would be good down to maybe 40 F and weigh les...

March 12, 9:30am

Re: Re: Best high country trip with no crowds?
But if you see anyone, they'll be BPL people so you can gossip about other BPL people : )

In Pre-Trip Planning » Best high country trip with no crowds?
March 12, 7:52am

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.