Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 191 - 200 of 9907 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...991

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Moving to UK: I will take all the advice you can spare
> London weather is pretty good. Mostly dry and sunny, I believe. My memories of London include wading through lots of wet slush for a month or two. I used to wear gumboots (wellingtons) while...

In GEAR » Moving to UK: I will take all the advice you can spare
December 01, 1:53pm

Re: Help with how to make a zip off hood for a jacket
The zip is going to leak like mad. Most uncomfortable around the neck as well. You have been warned! Cheers

In Make Your Own Gear » Help with how to make a zip off hood for a jacket
December 01, 1:48pm

Re: Inner-first
> am I kidding myself with an inner-first tent? Very likely!!! The weather there is very different. It's not Cal. Figure on having wind and rain for half the nights while pitching a tent....

In GEAR » Moving to UK: I will take all the advice you can spare
December 01, 12:23am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: mt biking in wilderness history
> your portrayal of the vicissitudes of judicial interpretation is a little simplistic. Oh, very likely. I studied (commercial) law for only 6 months, but I did get the impression that it co...

In Philosophy & Technique » The inevitable bike legalization of the JMT
December 01, 12:15am

Re: Re: Don't forget gear for the house.
> repairs to the heater and new detectors came in at under $300. Blimey - CHEAP! As in NOT expensive, that is. Cheers

In GEAR » Don't forget gear for the house.
December 01, 12:07am

Re: Re: Re: Re: mt biking in wilderness history
> Scalia-esque originalist interpretation of the law. It's historically interesting to > know what the founders of Wilderness were thinking three decades before the law was > signed,...

In Philosophy & Technique » The inevitable bike legalization of the JMT
November 30, 1:26pm

Well done
Looks like the kids had a great time. Thanks. Cheers

In Post-Trip Reports » Club trip into the Tararuas
November 29, 1:18pm

Re: Nylon socks
Tightly woven thin nylon socks seem to stop leeches from biting through. Of course, they can still go around. Cheers

In GEAR » Cheap things that work as good or better than expensive things
November 28, 12:36pm

Re: Re: Windboiler: Wind Testing Add'l Analysis, Price & Weight Comparisons
> Does anyone have any idea how the WindBoiler compares for carbon monoxide production? They haven't sent me one for testing. Guess they didn't like my measurements on the Reactor. ...

In GEAR » MSR Windboiler – Wind Testing
November 28, 12:35pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: has anyone tested the new Primus winter gas?
> Their Powergas will get a new mixture of purely propane and isobutane, according to > them. So what will their 'winter gas' add ? Blotting paper. Cheers

In GEAR » has anyone tested the new Primus winter gas?
November 28, 12:33pm

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm