Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 191 - 200 of 9693 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...970

Forum » Thread

Re: What about Z46?
I imagine most know I prefer an industrial thread called Rasant, from Amann (Germany). But buying Rasant in the USA is almost impossible. I use Rasant 120, which is finer than the common Guterman, ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Thread Selection for Silnylon
October 03, 1:20am

Re: Re: emergency socks
> The worst situation in my mind - not safety wise but comfort wise - is the cold > morning with wet shoes from the day before. No, worse than that are damp socks and frozen shoes. Trust m...

In Make Your Own Gear » emergency socks
October 03, 1:11am

Re: Applications
Hi Sam > that the useful life of the filter is only a week. Could you clarify a bit. No, I am not suggesting that at all. What I am trying to do is to allow for the odd bit of slightly algae...

In Editor's Roundtable » RapidPure Filters Review
October 03, 1:06am

Re: Re: Desperate for dry socks?
Hi Justin > I had snow getting packed into my shoes constantly and my feet were rapidly > conducting with the cold snow because of the thin sole. With respect, I don't think the seco...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Desperate for dry socks?
October 03, 12:53am

Re: Input
Hi Colin Comes with the territory. Doesn't worry me one hoot. Thick-skinned Aussie! But yes, these filters do alter the scene, don't they? Whether they will work out in the long run -...

October 02, 7:03pm

Re: Wet Socks!
> any close calls with frostbite or hypothermia due to all their socks being wet. That's the one thing we have never had any problems with - and that includes walking in the snow. Yes, even...

In GEAR » Wet Socks!
October 02, 7:01pm

weights
GSI plastic mug: 50 g TiWare 400: 68 g Cheers PS: re trolling, curt comments, dissenting - mostly a cultural difference, not an intent to annoy. I tend to be a bit brief at times, I know. Fo...

In GEAR » Recommendation for a titanium cup?
October 02, 3:17pm

Re: does anyone hike with their partner and carry two instead of one cook kit?
I walk with my wife. We share all the gear. Also, what Ozzie and Katherine wrote. Cheers (Katherine spelling corrected - sorry!)

In GEAR » does anyone hike with their partner and carry two instead of one cook kit?
October 02, 3:08pm

Re: Failing number 8 zippers
> I try to make my tents and other stuff so that replacing just the worn out slider is a > simple matter of taking out a few stitches, sliding on the new one and stitching it closed. To...

In GEAR » Failing #3 Zippers?
October 01, 3:39pm

Re: Position
Hi Colin > I don't think the concerns raised so far deserve this ridicule. I also received some email which was a bit more 'pointed' in attacking RapidPure. Cheers

October 01, 3:36pm

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm