BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 191 - 200 of 9275 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...928

Forum » Thread

Re: Merino
> the independent test results from Agresearch. Forgive me, but the idea that a company with a name like Ag(ricultural) Research would generate genuinely independent results for Kuiu over an ag...

In GEAR » Merino has evolved - Nuyarn lands stateside with Kuiu's Ultra Merino
May 23, 3:01pm

Re: In the future: power your gadgets just by hiking!
Oh, we get a new one of these hyped up in the press about every 12 months or so. Boots, packs, whatever. They never work, but hope springs eternal. The amount of 'free' energy available ...

In GEAR » In the future: power your gadgets just by hiking!
May 23, 2:56pm

Re: Merino has evolved
Sounds a bit like P T Barnum to me. Apart from that, it's just another wool blend - but with LOTS of spin. Cheers

In GEAR » Merino has evolved - Nuyarn lands stateside with Kuiu's Ultra Merino
May 23, 1:29am

Re: Re: Snowdonia
> perhaps it is only the UK weather that makes the mountains difficult? Well, true, but not the whole story. There's a Yorkshire saying about 'lazy winds': so called becasue they d...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Recommended walks near London UK
May 21, 5:15pm

Re: Ventilation in double wall tents
> wether an all mesh inner provides more or less ventilation than a nylon one. Simplistically, a mesh inner gives a LOT more ventialtion than a fabric one. But what really matters far more ...

In GEAR » Ventilation in double wall tents
May 21, 5:05pm

Re: Re: Coverage range
> this "one-warmth-fits-all" idea of sleeping pads just doesn't pass the smell test for me Well, how many different mattresses do you have at home? Or do you sleep on the same ...

In GEAR » Why the obsession over sleeping bag/quilt warmth but not sleeping pad warmth?
May 20, 4:11pm

Re: LOAD BEARING, STRAIGHT STITCH, SMALL SPACES
> straight stitch machines are fine for pack making, but wondered what they do in these situations? I use an ancient Singer for packs - no zigzag. I dislike bar tacks anyhow: they are a cheap...

In Make Your Own Gear » LOAD BEARING, STRAIGHT STITCH, SMALL SPACES
May 18, 11:54pm

Re: Re: Thank you Delmar
> "The use of spellchecker programs and now auto-fill on cell phones has made people > very lazy about their writing." > Since you're using 'spellchecker programs AND n...

In GEAR » Taut, Taught, & Taunt Pitches
May 18, 11:48pm

tort
And if you guys get it wrong any more, I'll have the tort lawyers after you.

In GEAR » Taut, Taught, & Taunt Pitches
May 18, 3:31pm

Re: Re: Wrist GPS with digital mapping
> The word that Roger was looking for was "antenna." Nope. I wrote what I meant. Language difference between Oz and USA. You say antenna, we say aerial. No diff. Cheers

In GEAR » Wrist GPS with digital mapping
May 17, 4:10pm

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm