BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 191 - 200 of 9575 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...958

Forum » Thread

Re: Silk Seams Rip
> That's what happens to silk seams when put to hard use, in my experience. It's a very light weave. You need to use something like a felled seam to get the strength. Of course, that ...

In Multiple Use Gear » Silk sleeping bag liner?
September 04, 3:32pm

Re: Better for your shell to be snug or loose?
> not having a huge space of dead air that you have to heat The real problem is the concept of 'dead space'. The phrase is totally misleading imho. What happens in practice if the shel...

In GEAR » Better for your shell to be snug or loose?
September 04, 3:27pm

Re: What ARE "summer nighttime temps" where you backpack?
Australia, Sydney region - anywhere up to not using any quilt at all until about 3 am. Just slept in my walking clothes. That was a hot night. Cheers

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What ARE "summer nighttime temps" where you backpack?
September 04, 3:22pm

Re: Viruses
> Do viruses even exist in North American water sources? If so, in what kinds of places? Oh yes, downstream of any small town. They come out of older sewerage treatment plants. Also around w...

In GEAR » Have you ever gotten sick after filtering water?
September 04, 2:18am

Re: Refuges will be closing for the season
Mark wrote: > You might want to take some cooking gear as many refuges start to close for the > season towards the end of September. Oops, yeah! Check each refuge on the web. They close...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Backpacking in the French Alps
September 03, 6:28pm

Re: Re: HOLD UP!!
Hi Pierre > The curvature of the pole simply does not make the base of a cone... Why not? OK, so when you bend the pole it will look like a parabola, not a semi-circle. But that does not ...

In Make Your Own Gear » myog mountaineering cuben tunnel tent?
September 03, 6:24pm

Re: Re: It's that time of year again......hunting season
> blaze orange baseball cap or beanie Yeah, that should be a good enough target to aim at. Cheers

In Make Your Own Gear » It's that time of year again......hunting season
September 03, 3:38pm

Re: Have you ever gotten sick after filtering water?
> We used an MSR Miniworks and a Sawyer Squeeze to filter our water from the local > untested water sources up there. Unfortunately, Brittany found herself very sick > about one day afte...

In GEAR » Have you ever gotten sick after filtering water?
September 03, 3:36pm

Re: Backpacking in the French Alps
> While some of the huts offer food, I can't imagine they'd have anything vegetarian I think most Refuges (and all hotels) will be able to offer a vegetarian meal, especially if you let...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Backpacking in the French Alps
September 03, 5:30am

Re: New Zealand form October to December
Have a look at the background to your avatar. Not a lot of trees there. The higher parts of NZ are a bit like that. Might be some problems with a hammock. Wet - yeah, always. Cheers

In Gear Lists » New Zealand form October to December
September 03, 12:48am

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm