BPL Community Profile

Raymond Estrella (rayestrella) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northern Minnesota
About Me I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, plus many western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round in all weather, and average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I make a point of using lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. Doubting I can ever be truly UL, I try to be as near to it as I can yet still be comfortable. I start early and hike hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring/chilling. I usually take a freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I am usually with brother-in-law Dave.
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Raymond Estrella

Showing 191 - 200 of 816 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...82

Forum » Thread

tents in storm
"I mentioned a storm in the Foray review in which a mature maple tree was topped... the FC2P also sat pretty through the storm with nary a scratch." Ha, I have never thought of testing...

In Editor's Roundtable » Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 Platinum Tent Review
October 18, 6:49am

guy lines
They are for use in high winds. The shape of these tents presents a wind-catching face and the guy-lines come in handy then. Nice review. Did you see any weather Brad?

In Editor's Roundtable » Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 Platinum Tent Review
October 17, 8:27am

looks gimmicky to me
The kevlar is only at the toe. What is "carbon threading"? I bet they smell to high heaven after a hike. "Inspired by the Milan fashion scene". I'll pass. (But the...

In GEAR » carbon/ kevlar socks!
October 17, 8:08am

idea: quilt / sleeping bag hybrid?
Something that hits much closer to your idea is the upcoming Navis from Therm-a-Rest. Damien wrote about it here: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.h...

In GEAR » idea: quilt / sleeping bag hybrid?
October 09, 4:49am

pre-production prototypes
Nice job on the write up Brad, I have just one question though. Since when do we write about pre-production prototypes? Unless it has not changed during beta-testing what is available to the con...

In Editor's Roundtable » Sailors, Rappers, & Ultralight Backpackers: A Walk with the Timberland Cadion
October 05, 6:59am

Lightest and cost efficient sunglasses?
http://practicon.com/product.aspx?id=40369 Need a group buy I guess... ;-) (Ah I kept reading, so kudos to George.)

In GEAR » Lightest and cost efficient sunglasses?
September 26, 2:11pm

rewash
I agree, Rewash it in a front-loader only! Use down soap, not laundry detergent. Dry on lowest heat setting in a big commercial dryer, not a home dryer. Plan on it taking hours. (I bring a bo...

In GEAR » question about a down bag that has been machine washed (without my consent)
September 26, 2:09pm

Winter Pack recommendations
Hello again Stephen, (3:30 am here. Getting ready to go to the airport, need coffee...) OK, that sounds better. I started doing my winter and mountaineering trips with a Bora 95, went to an O...

In GEAR » Winter Pack recommendations
September 22, 2:45am

don't give it up
I didn't even bother to read the replies. If you like the Exos 46 and it fits you well keep it. It will carry more weight comfortably than any frameless pack. It will keep you cooler than an...

In GEAR » Considering a GG Gorilla, but afraid to give up my osprey frame...
September 21, 8:17pm

what stove
Become Hiker Jim's intern and get one of every stove ever made... ;-) I love stoves too, and for solo use only use my Trail Designs systems. Look for my name here for a bunch of them. ...

In GEAR » Second stove choices...
September 21, 8:04pm

All Reader Reviews by Raymond Estrella

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Osprey Exos 58
Osprey Exos 58 Backpack Size: Large Year manufactured: 2009 Weight listed: 2 lb 10 oz (1185 g) Actual weight 2 lb 9.8 oz (1180 g) Volume listed: 3700 cu in (61 L) Load weight capacity sugg...

In Backpacks - External Frame
June 15, 7:47pm

Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2
I bought one of the first Seedhouse SL2s in 2004. Last year I bought the new, lighter version pairing it with carbon fiber poles and Ti stakes to make a total weight package of 2 lb 15 oz (1.33 kg). I...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
February 16, 3:37pm