Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Raymond Estrella (rayestrella) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northern Minnesota
About Me I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, plus many western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round in all weather, and average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I make a point of using lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. Doubting I can ever be truly UL, I try to be as near to it as I can yet still be comfortable. I start early and hike hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring/chilling. I usually take a freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I am usually with brother-in-law Dave.
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Raymond Estrella

Showing 191 - 200 of 821 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...83

Forum » Thread

identify this sleeping bag
Based on the colors I would guess that it is from the 1980's. Many of their bags back then were GORE-TEX shelled. I bet if you sent the pictures to them they can tell you what it is from ol...

In GEAR » Help me identify this sleeping bag!
October 20, 4:26pm

Recycled Water Bottles
I hear you Scott, I love the wide mouth Pepsi product bottles (I use their Aquafina as seen in the review below.) They are getting harder to find though. http://tinyurl.com/92g6q5l

In GEAR » Let's Talk Recycled Water Bottles
October 20, 4:20pm

two ways to go
MSR is going to distribute a version of the Camp-Tek Microburst inflator that I reviewed earlier this year. http://tinyurl.com/6rrefje The big Pump Sack works well too. http://tinyurl.com/...

In GEAR » Neoair pump
October 20, 4:15pm

Where are the BPL weights?
By the way, where are the "BPL weights"? I thought we always listed actual weights. What is the actual total weight as packed? As the tent may be set up with only a footprint and f...

In Editor's Roundtable » Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 Platinum Tent Review
October 19, 7:46pm

re:
Hi Warren, "That's why I have the FCUL3. This is what a two-person tent should be like." And that is what 2P tents used to be like before people like me and you wanted lighter w...

October 19, 7:36pm

tents in storm
"I mentioned a storm in the Foray review in which a mature maple tree was topped... the FC2P also sat pretty through the storm with nary a scratch." Ha, I have never thought of testing...

October 18, 6:49am

guy lines
They are for use in high winds. The shape of these tents presents a wind-catching face and the guy-lines come in handy then. Nice review. Did you see any weather Brad?

October 17, 8:27am

looks gimmicky to me
The kevlar is only at the toe. What is "carbon threading"? I bet they smell to high heaven after a hike. "Inspired by the Milan fashion scene". I'll pass. (But the...

In GEAR » carbon/ kevlar socks!
October 17, 8:08am

idea: quilt / sleeping bag hybrid?
Something that hits much closer to your idea is the upcoming Navis from Therm-a-Rest. Damien wrote about it here: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.h...

In GEAR » idea: quilt / sleeping bag hybrid?
October 09, 4:49am

pre-production prototypes
Nice job on the write up Brad, I have just one question though. Since when do we write about pre-production prototypes? Unless it has not changed during beta-testing what is available to the con...

In Editor's Roundtable » Sailors, Rappers, & Ultralight Backpackers: A Walk with the Timberland Cadion
October 05, 6:59am

All Reader Reviews by Raymond Estrella

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Osprey Exos 58
Osprey Exos 58 Backpack Size: Large Year manufactured: 2009 Weight listed: 2 lb 10 oz (1185 g) Actual weight 2 lb 9.8 oz (1180 g) Volume listed: 3700 cu in (61 L) Load weight capacity sugg...

In Backpacks - External Frame
June 15, 7:47pm

Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2
I bought one of the first Seedhouse SL2s in 2004. Last year I bought the new, lighter version pairing it with carbon fiber poles and Ti stakes to make a total weight package of 2 lb 15 oz (1.33 kg). I...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
February 16, 3:37pm