BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 191 - 200 of 660 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...66

Forum » Thread

Re: Who's around 5'6"-5'8" and does wintery, high alpine/really cold backpacking?
I am 5' 8.5" unfortunately

In Chaff » Who's around 5'6"-5'8" and does wintery, high alpine/really cold backpacking?
February 17, 10:51am

Re: nano puff or ultralight jacket
I have owned a Nano Puff and I own the down sweater which has a bit more insulation. The down sweater is warmer so I would guess the ultralight down jacket is of similar warmth as the Nano Puff. ...

In GEAR » nano puff or ultralight jacket
February 17, 10:12am

Re: Re: Re: Zpacks Hexamid --polycro bathtub floor?
That is where site selection is important and avoiding terrain where runoff is likely to come through or where the layers of forest floor are enough to absorb any accumulation of water.

In GEAR » Zpacks Hexamid --polycro bathtub floor?
February 16, 10:24pm

Re: Re: Quick Liner Glove Question
The other problem with wool liners are they don't grip anything well. Fingerless are a good option in summer if you want something to grip poles with.

In GEAR » Quick Liner Glove Question
February 16, 9:06pm

Re: Backpacking Magazine $4.50/ year for 2 years
It's a decent magazine if you use it mainly as research for possible hiking destinations. Otherwise I find it too focused on traditional backpacking and sensationalist type stuff (i.e., top 10...

In Gear Deals » Backpacking Magazine $4.50/ year for 2 years
February 15, 12:15pm

Poncho and Windshirt are two separate pieces
I don't see how you can have a legit Poncho that functions very well as a windshirt. One the points of a poncho is that they are airy and relatively open (not a good property for a windshirt)....

In GEAR » Breathable windshirt vs Frogg Toggs poncho? & as an aside, Zpacks fanny pack
February 14, 11:58am

Re: Comparison to Skyscape Scout
These are just observations based on online information because I have not ever owned a Skyscape. The biggest differences appear to be 1] They both are about 100" long inside but the Nemo i...

In Gear Deals » Nemo Meta 1p $147 at REI
February 14, 8:27am

Re: Ordered!
Feel free to PM me Kevin if you have any trouble getting a solid pitch with your Meta 1p. I think the biggest advantage of the Meta would be the side entrance and enormous vestibule.

February 14, 1:08am

Re: Eddie Bauer
Did you get her number?

In GEAR » Eddie Bauer
February 13, 6:52pm

Re: Nemo Meta 1p $147 at REI
Agreed. I have this Tent available for shorter trips where I am willing to take the weight penalty over my SpinnTwin. Works well for Tall people as well with it's 100" length as long as ...

February 13, 10:02am

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm