Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Frank Deland (rambler) - BPL Guest

My Locale On the AT in VA
About Me Frank Deland has not added a biography yet.
StateMassachusetts

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Frank Deland

Showing 191 - 200 of 770 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...77

Forum » Thread

omit
I see items on your list that I used to carry on the AT, but no longer do. Umbrella, 3 L bottle sand a pillow. Umbrella spent too much time just carrying, plus trail is narrow and branches catch....

In Gear Lists » AT 500 mile section hike
May 28, 7:50pm

rain pants
Throw in wind and above tree line with the rain and legs can get cold. Rain pants will help with warmth. I like having a waterproof shell mitten to help keep the hands warm and gloves dry in the ...

In Gear Lists » Colorado summer gear list
May 12, 4:28pm

pole height
I am 5'9 or 10 and use fixed at 120. This is also a good height when used with a tarp. Adjustables are a bit easier to travel (by air), but I rarely change the height while hiking. Adjustabl...

In GEAR » Pacer Poles for Gossamear gear poles
May 12, 4:13pm

tying the clove hitch
Here are some photos to show how to tie the clove hitch around a stick: 1 Hold the stick in your right hand (if right handed) so the line is in front of the stick. 2 With your left hand, gr...

In Editor's Roundtable » MYOG: Knotless PCT Bear Bag Hang
May 05, 6:23am

Fogg Toggs
Fogg Togs are a close relative of tyvek. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=OQL1PBJ1QD4LXLAQBBJSCOFMCAEFIIWE?id=0000244921485a&type=product&cmCat=froog...

In Gear Lists » Where do you get TYVEC pants?
May 03, 6:53am

kitchen scales
Google" kitchen scales". I guess some cooks weigh food portions!

In Gear Lists » Suggested GEAR LIST ETIQUETTE
May 03, 6:40am

long sleeve shirt in the heat
I would agree on the fly-fishing shirts, especially in a light color, but the Rail Rider Eco Mesh long sleeves are lighter, no buttons or pockets. I wore one everyday along the JMT in August. Wor...

In GEAR » Hot weather(70-100F) shirt
May 03, 6:31am

water at the wrists
I doubt any elastic closure would be entirely waterproof around the wrist. The same could be said for gaiter tops around the legs. MLD type shell works best with the cuff over the outside of ...

In GEAR » Rain & the wrist/cuff seal
May 03, 6:25am

fixed poles
I use a 120 cm (47 ") fixed pole under a GG Spinntwinn and other tarps. I'm 5'10". It works fine. I do have about a 14" extension aluminum tube that works, too. even tho...

In GEAR » Question regarding trekking pole tents
May 03, 6:13am

LT Hike
August on the AT, no bugs. A hammock will be nice when you need to camp on uneven ground or in thick trees on a slpoe. A thin under layer hanging below your hammock will be enough to keep out the ...

In Gear Lists » Long Trail thru hike gear list
April 30, 3:38pm

All Reader Reviews by Frank Deland

Showing 1 - 10 of 10 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear
Ditto. When something is not in stock when you first look, just put your name on the -e-mail-when in stock list and they will let you know. They quickly and without questions replaced items that...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
September 21, 3:36pm

Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Pad
Very comfortable and a pillow not needed. But, you are not supposed to blow this up by mouth because moisture will get into the fill. So, there is a blow-up bag arrangement that does work, but it is ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 12, 8:44pm

GoLite Ultralite poncho/tarp
This Golite gear is made of a rugged silnylon. It has snaps to help shorten its length when worn as a poncho. It is useful to run a guide line over the top of it between the supporting poles to help...

In Clothing - Raingear
September 30, 7:45pm

Ray-Way 3-person tarp and net tent
Att: Mrs. EW! You do not need all that extra weight of overhead netting, plus you will have even more room under your tarp without it. Just add several inches of netting along the side edges, and ma...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
August 08, 10:10am

Superfeet Performance Green
I do not think superfeet are supposed to prevent blisters, unless because they help correct the fit, they, by chance, correct an area that might otherwise chaffe your skin. Also, cut off about 1/8 in...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
April 04, 12:09pm

Bushbuddy "Ultra" (BPL/Ryan Jordan/Arctic 1000 Version) Wood Stove
Note BD's final picture: the handles of the pot are directly over the opening that allows wood or fuel to be added to the stove when it is burning and the pot is ontop. When adding wood, I found ...

In Stoves - Other
March 30, 8:37pm

Montrail Vitesse
On my first pair, the coating wore off the toe top. The grey just pealed off leaving a white fabric. Also, the rubber on the front side separated from the side of the shoe. I repaired it with Shoe ...

January 05, 12:06pm

Merrell Mesa Ventilator II Cross-Training Shoes
Ditto. I am about to head to the REI nearest me where they are on sale for $57 (Jan. 5) It will be my second pair having switched over from the Montrial Vitesse (see above). I had avoided this shoe ...

January 05, 11:50am

Littlbug Wood Burning Stove Littlbug Junior
First, to find the website note that Little Bug is spelled with no "e". The efficiency of this stove amazed me. I have tried homemade versions of woodburners with little success, so I was ...

In Stoves - Other
December 12, 9:45am

Gossamer Gear Lightrek Plus Poles
Same as Phil Barton above. The tip broke off on the first day. I returned the pole, it was repaired at no cost and a spare basket and extra tip was also included. I had lost a basket as well as the...

In Trekking Poles
October 18, 2:18pm