Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

larry savage (pyeyo) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale pacific northwest
About Me aging 4 season mountain bum,if I'm not here I'm out there.
CityWenatchee
StateWashington
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by larry savage

Showing 191 - 200 of 743 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...75

Forum » Thread

McHale packs
Something like McHale's Subpop in Full Dyneema instead of Dyneema Grid wouldbe pretty bomb proof, skaters and fencers use this stuff for protection. Bears cry when they see his packs. A Kelty ...

In GEAR » Ultralight Bushbashing Pack?
August 23, 3:32pm

Ed Wardle's trek across the Yukon
Is anybody following Ed Wardle's trek across the Canadian Yukon? http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2009/08/alone-in-wild-yukon-survival-saga.html

In Philosophy & Technique » Ed Wardle's trek across the Yukon
August 23, 3:19pm

retro is as retro does
In 1955 Gerry Cunningham pushed the "go light, leave no trace" ethos of backpacking taking all of us on a left hand turn off the Trapper Dan woodsman approach tothe backcountry. Gerry de...

In GEAR » You Tell Me...What is the Best Gear Ever???
August 23, 1:40pm

whoa, there's some gemstones in the cornfield
I stumbled across my Svea stove the other day whilst sorting the piles and decided to see if it would run. No problemo, fired right up; wasn't it always kind of spooky preheating them by pouri...

August 22, 11:46pm

When the budget is broken out comes the sale sweaters.
There is a climbing magazine published in Great Britain that dissects some poor sods pack every month - climber, guide, mountain bum. While reading some pretty famous guy's contents I saw he ca...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Frustrated:: Need options Base layer
August 22, 2:55pm

the other side of the coin
October hkes can be quite rewarding with the tamarack turning color and perhaps a fresh dusting of snow on the high ridges. The one thing many visitors forget is how quickly daylight fades especia...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Weekend October backpacking trip to Cascade Mountains?
August 22, 2:16pm

regardless of camera
Regardless of camera choice a serious consideration is the ease of charging or carrying spare batteries for longer trips. Some brands are more friendly then others.

In Photography » buying a new backpacking camera
August 22, 11:37am

mountain house rib-eye
Just a trip down memory lane but I remember a freeze dried rib-eye steak from, I think, Mountain House.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Steak!
August 22, 11:34am

The toughest part of multi-day trips is housekeeping ...
The toughest part of multi-day trips for me is housekeeping; keeping the day to day debris, boot fodder, and moisture out of my tent or bivy. Being a slob by nature the side zip option just works ...

In GEAR » Bivy Style Opinions: Drawcord, Chest zip, Side Zip?
August 22, 11:31am

from my view
Lighter mountaineering boots, the "new" wool,water filtering systems, and eVent as an alternate to Goretex, the competition between the many innovators and boutique manufacturers out ther...

August 22, 11:21am

All Reader Reviews by larry savage

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

five ten camp four
The five ten camp four shoe fits into the approach shoe category, a little heavier then a trail runner the camp four excels at getting you there then holding it's own as a climbing shoe. Internal...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
May 27, 10:28am

Stanley Titanium Helios Ice Axe
I've been using a helios ice axe since mid-winter. This is an all titanium tool, the only one I think is available since the Ushba has gone away. Made by Jim Stanley with a 6-4 ti head and a 3-2...

In Climbing Gear & Accessories
May 24, 11:04pm

clif shot bloks/jelly belly sport beans various flavors
2 different products from 2 different makers aimed at providing some carbs/electrolytes and fruit flavors on hikes and multiday trips. Clif Shot Bloks are soft [rubbery] organic rice syrup cubes that...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
May 08, 10:50pm

exposure joystick
Born into the world of endurance and mtn. bike racing the joystick crosses over nicely for weekend or longer [w/solar charger] wilderness trips. At 85 gms. it is a few grams lighter then a surefire e...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
April 29, 12:37pm