Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

paul johnson (pj) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest
About Me Backpacking for nearly 50yrs-shorter trips less than a week.

Outdoor interests (in no particular order): medicinal/edible wild plants of New England, observing wildlife (inverts & verts; and owls at night), insect collecting, dog training, night hiking, HEADLAMPS (for those night hikes), kinesiology/bio-mechanics of hiking (particularly trekking pole use), testing L/UL gear, unconventional packing systems, & backwater microbiology, & oh, yes, the darkside - motorsports(auto racing).

Now pretty much "grounded" so to speak.
CityHamden
StateCT
CountryUSofA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by paul johnson

Showing 191 - 200 of 2324 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...233

Forum » Thread

Re: Thanks much
As much as i like the smaller size and lighter weight of the MyoXP, i'd go with the Apex. It's possible that on the lowest light output setting that the Myo XP will "burn" for a ...

In GEAR » PJ - Question regarding the Princeton TEc Apex
February 12, 10:57am

Re: Re: Re: PJ - Question regarding the Princeton TEc Apex
Douglas, Nice setup. As you suggested, cutting the power cable is really easy as you might well imagine. For me, this is the simplest way of kludging something togther to give me the option of v...

February 12, 10:52am

Re: Re: Unishelter vs. Nemo GoGo
27826gm/m2/24h

In Editor's Roundtable » State of the Market Report: Bivy Sack Technologies, Products, and Applications (2006)
February 12, 9:28am

Re: Re: Extreme but effective condensation prevention in a bivy or single wall shelter?
Douglas, Three questions: 1) are the tubes that come off of those mask really that large of a diameter? 2) is the volume of stale air really 600cc? 3) does the tube have to be 50cm in all cases?

In Philosophy & Technique » Extreme but effective condensation prevention in a bivy or single wall shelter?
February 12, 9:25am

Re: PJ - Question regarding the Princeton TEc Apex
For me the question would be intended use and weight. The Apex weighs in at a whopping 9.5oz with alk. batts & w/o the top strap. Some might consider this to be significantly more than the ...

February 12, 4:29am

Re: Extreme but effective condensation prevention in a bivy or single wall shelter?
Interesting idea. In warm weather don't forget to put some bug mesh over the tube opening. In very cold weather, something like the Psolar face mask might be better as your body won't...

In Philosophy & Technique » Extreme but effective condensation prevention in a bivy or single wall shelter?
February 12, 3:58am

Re: hydration maybe
Pedialyte is often used when an infant or very young child is getting dehydrated due to a bout with diarrhea. Had never thought about it as a "Sports Drink". Bubblegum would not be my...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » hydration maybe
February 12, 3:40am

Re: Re: Unishelter vs. Nemo GoGo
just comparing numbers to numbers (i don't know the specifics of the ASTM E96 method), is the Nemo Osmo fabric only about 18% as breathable as eVENT? any more info or opinions out there?

In Editor's Roundtable » State of the Market Report: Bivy Sack Technologies, Products, and Applications (2006)
February 12, 3:37am

Re: Re: Pacerpoles
Roger, briefly skimmed the article. good article, IMO. Here's some observations from one who likes to be as techical as the next guy: 1) the article concerns itself with only one aspect o...

In Editor's Roundtable » Pacerpole 2-Section Trekking Pole REVIEW
February 12, 3:30am

Re: Golite Cave 1 vs. MLD Grace Tarp
I don't own either, but i do own a number of tarps. I'm NOT very good at pitching a tarp - other than a simple lean-to pitch. Hence, my choice is the MLD Grace Tarp. I own tarps somewhat...

In GEAR » Golite Cave 1 vs. MLD Grace Tarp
February 09, 10:18am

All Reader Reviews by paul johnson

Showing 1 - 10 of 68 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Review

Category

Zebralight H50
the H50-Q5 has so many pros: 1. very small size (one of the benefits of being a "twisty". )- just slightly larger than the cell that powers it (1xAA - alkaline, NiMH, or Li-Primary; it c...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
May 11, 6:13am

Pak-Lite White Super
when i need a 5mm task light this is now my "go to" light for the last couple of months. why? 1. light in weight 2. bright in light [output] 3. i'll die of old-age before i bu...

May 10, 6:00pm

Surefire L2 Lumamax
Ok. So, one is unable to justify the $$$ for the U2 - try as hard as one might. Well, then, perhaps the L2 might fit the bill. It is after all a whopping hundred bucks cheaper (that ain't sayin...

March 27, 4:13am

Gossamer Gear NightLight 3/4
Light. Warm enough; add a thinlight or torso-length inflatable when it gets cold. Comparing the NightLight's R-value to other pads, it appears that the Nightlight has the highest R-val for its...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
March 26, 4:36am

Surefire U2
If I could have only one flashlight, or maybe even one lighting device, it would be the 5.7oz 5watt, 2xCR123A powered Surefire U2 Ultra Digital flashlight. First the downsides: 1. How do ...

March 18, 9:35pm

Pro Lite Gear customer service
I've ordered many times from PLG. Big items. Small items. Several items in one order. Only ONCE, was there ever a mistake. However, i personally feel that the mistake was beneficial to my u...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
March 08, 11:48am

Lighten Up DVD with Glen Van Peski .
This DVD was a gift to me from another Forum participant (many thanks GR). This DVD doesn't pretend to be a detailed step-by-step tutorial, but, rather, more of an introduction. In this capaci...

In Books and Media
March 07, 1:52pm

Gossamer Gear Nightlight Torso
My favorite pad. Light. Warm enough (use two when it gets cold). I add a separate single section of this pad for use under my feet. Being so short that xtra 3" that the First Reviewer ment...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
March 06, 5:40am

Pacific Outdoor Products Insul Mat Max-Thermo
Thick. Warm. Cushiony. Comfortable. Packs small enough. I can't make many claims to being great at anything in life. But, i could claim to be a GREAT sleeper after a day of trekkin' up ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 06, 5:28am

Pacer Poles
I truly do love both sets of PacerPoles that i own (one pair 2-sect, and one pair 3-sect). I can't say enough good things about them. They are one of favorite T-poles (trekking poles) to use....

In Trekking Poles
March 06, 5:16am