BPL Community Profile

Paul McLaughlin (paul) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Paul McLaughlin hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Paul McLaughlin has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Paul McLaughlin

Showing 191 - 200 of 867 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...87

Forum » Thread

Re: Hanging bear canisters
My understanding is that hanging a bear can is not recommended because if the can is restrained the bear may be able to work on it long enough to get into it, or be able to crush it against the tre...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bear learns how to crack Garcia cans at Yosemite
August 27, 3:49pm

Re: Unsure about this conversion from boots to trail shoes
The wetness issues are not any different with boots unless you are never dealing with mater more than a few inches deep - a waterproof boot will keep that out. If it's over the boot tops then y...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Unsure about this conversion from boots to trail shoes
August 27, 3:38pm

Re: Point of Reference
Thanks, Damien. Definitely clarifies things for me.

In Editor's Roundtable » Backpacking Tights - Part 2
August 26, 5:02pm

weight obviously not the only factor
When I have gone no-cook in the past it has been on short summer trips of one or two nights and I did it for simplicity. I like not having do deal with stove and pots and cleanup - just open the fo...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » cook/no cook weight difference
August 25, 12:17pm

cook/no cook weight difference
I was curious whether going to a no-cook menu - as I have sometimes done for simplicity's sake - would be a weight savings if I assume I want the same caloric intake and using the foods I usual...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » cook/no cook weight difference
August 24, 6:58pm

Re: Re: Re: Backpacking Tights - Part 2
What I have - and all the powerstretch I am familar with - is around the weight of 100 weight fleece or of expedition weight long johns. Smooth nylon knit face, and as you say not likely to be very...

August 24, 4:14pm

Re: Backpacking Tights - Part 2
Damien - Where in your spectrum would a pair of Polarstretch tights fit?

August 24, 11:53am

Re: Canister stove ignition options
I just carry a mini bic. I actually carry two - one with the stove and another in my kit bag. But I've never had one fail in probably 25 years of taking them. When snow camping I put it in my p...

In GEAR » Canister stove ignition options
August 24, 11:39am

durability
Many people are afraid that lighter gear will not hold up. They want rugged stuff, and when they handle the lighter gear it feels flimsy to them, so they stick with the bombproof stuff. Durability ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Current conversations with JMT hikers
August 21, 10:07pm

Re: No but ...
They normally have to ship food out because so much gets left there, so I doubt they'd have any problems with someone just coming in to graze the buckets. But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Anyone ever resupplied out of MTR hiker buckets??
August 21, 9:37pm

All Reader Reviews by Paul McLaughlin

Paul McLaughlin has posted no reviews.