BPL Community Profile

Paul McLaughlin (paul) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Paul McLaughlin hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Paul McLaughlin has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Paul McLaughlin

Showing 191 - 200 of 832 | Page: 1 ...11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ...84

Forum » Thread

innovation and weight reduction
Innovation in lightweight gear runs into a basic fact; there are two ways to reduce an item's weight. 1) use less material in the item's construction. 2) use lighter materials. Ther...

In Editor's Roundtable » The Politics of Cottage Consumption
July 06, 1:17pm

Re: Re: Re: mattress strategies: back soreness on the road to a good night's sleep
I agree that the right pillow can make a difference. Sometimes I think a good pillow is more important than a cushy pad. In your case I would try to figure out what is different from home and on th...

In GEAR » mattress strategies: back soreness on the road to a good night's sleep
July 06, 12:12pm

Re: Sock philosophy - synthetic or wool? Solution for wet feet?
I like three pair. One I'm wearing, one I have just washed and is drying on the outside of my pack, and one is dry and stashed inside. I have found that I need to rinse out or at the very least...

In GEAR » Sock philosophy - synthetic or wool? Solution for wet feet?
July 06, 12:06pm

more questions than answers
Jerry, it seems your experimentation has led to more questions than answers. Not only in the area of theory vs. practice, but also in the sense of what your measurements actually show, and also in ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Torso Simulator to test Heat Loss in Outdoor Gear – Radiation
July 05, 8:41pm

Re: Advice for a large group gravity water filter
I have used a Katadyn Base Camp gravity filter and liked it, except that the bag failed after a couple of years of light use. I was happy with the filter cartridge performance, and before that had ...

In GEAR » Advice for a large group gravity water filter
July 04, 10:43am

conundrum
Interesting discussion. The real conundrum I see is that any device which requires you to press a button to send a signal is of no help if you lose consciousness. And while tracking like the SPOT c...

In GEAR » Personal Locator Beacons...
July 04, 10:30am

Re: scented dr bronner soap and bears
If you can manage to stay so clean that the bears can only smell the soap residue and not your own human fragrance then you might need to be concerned about it, but I rather doubt that will be the ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » scented dr bronner soap and bears
July 03, 1:48pm

Re: alcohol stoves?
Forest service policy has been in the past that if the stove has a valve you can use it, if it does not have a valve you cannot. But this has not been consistent everywhere, all the time so it is b...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » California Fire Restrictions
July 03, 1:43pm

Re: summer sleep pad for hotter regions
non-insulated air pad will probably be the coolest option on the ground; a hammock, if breathable fabric, ought to be a little cooler.

In GEAR » summer sleep pad for hotter regions
July 02, 6:36pm

Re: How often do you take showers (and deal with hygiene) while in the woods?
Most trips I am either camping at lakes or stopping at them during the day, and I dive in most days for a quick rinse. Better if it's the end of the day, but either way it helps. A good-sized c...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How often do you take showers (and deal with hygiene) while in the woods?
June 30, 2:13pm

All Reader Reviews by Paul McLaughlin

Paul McLaughlin has posted no reviews.